Spilled Soda on My MBP and Odd Results

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deem, Jul 24, 2010.

1. deem macrumors newbie

hey everyone, here is another one of these "spilled soda on the MBP" threads. This happened about a month ago. I spilled coke on the laptop when it was open (keyboard, trackpad) and immediately flipped over the computer. I wiped off the keys and trackpad, but I stupidly forgot to turn it off. I realized this mistake and powered it down about 30-40 minutes after the accident occurred. I let it rest for a day or two, and then I turned it back on. Everything has been pretty much fine, and the stickiness of the keys have even worn off. However, the trackpad does not usually register when I try to drag things. The multitouch works fine and it registers touch clicks, but it doesn't usually register when I physically click down the trackpad, especially when I am trying to highlight text or drag a file. It does randomly allow me to do these things without any problems, but it is only occasionally. Does anybody have any advice on how I may be able to fix this problem (if there is any solution at all)? If there is nothing I can do to fix the problem, I will try to sell it to a friend who will just use a mouse, but I would much rather not have to go this route. I appreciate any and all advice/input that can help me fix my stupid mistake and I look forward to finally becoming part of this informative and interesting forum (rather than just lurking). Thanks!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow you are lucky! I would be very happy if my results were like you (if I were to spill coke of course!). Most people's computer just ends up dying. Lucky you. How much is your friend asking?

3. deem thread starter macrumors newbie

I am very happy with the results. I was pretty shocked with how it turned out, but I need to be able to highlight text. He hasn't put out an offer yet, but I was thinking of asking for 400. What do you think of this price? Too low/high?

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

what model mbp?

5. deem thread starter macrumors newbie

MBP 13 inch (June 2009)

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

That's pretty low for that model.
    I frequent ebay for computers like this and even the 2.26GHz model, liquid damaged and non-working will sell for around 6-800 on eBay depending on condition.

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

400 seems like a fair price to me considering the damage and future risk of failure.

8. deem thread starter macrumors newbie

So, is it a better option for me to try to put it up on ebay for more than 400 before offering it to my friend? Maybe start the auction at 0.99 and have a Buy It Now of about 600-700? What do you guys/gals think? Thanks again for all the input.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

To be honest, if I was you, $400 wouldn't be worth it for me. If I could get maybe $700 to $800, then it would be worth it for me.

That being said, if I were you, and didn't sell it for $700-800 dollars, then I would buy a magic mouse and work from there.

If your computer has 4GB RAM, you could take out 2GB, sell it, buy a refurb Macbook with 2GB and install it there (I think that could work? depending on how the ram is assorted)

10. deem thread starter macrumors newbie

The magic mouse is a good idea. I forgot that was an option and was hesitant to go the mouse route because I didn't want to lose multitouch capabilities. The only problem with the mouse is that I need my laptop in class, and I don't want to have a mouse on my desk during lecture.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Remember the Magic mouse can easily take care of your problem (I think that has gestures too!) and it also has Bluetooth, so we're talking no wires, and not to mention, its a laser mouse, so it will work on a lot of surfaces. If I were you, that is what I would do. Could it really be that hard to accomodate some space for putting a mouse? It should work over your papers so keep it on top of that as a paperweight! lol

What do you think?

12. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You're kind of taking a gamble here. For all you know, it could start working again in a week or two. Selling it then would be taking a loss, but if it never works, you wouldnt be loosing very much.

Anyway, have you tried cleaning the trackpad area VERY VERY VERY lightly with some isopropyl alcohol, or simple green?

I've had this happen to a macbook and simple green fixed it right up. Just make sure the computer is off, and the battery is removed (If you can. I think you have the same model as me, and you can't) Let it dry out for a couple hours, and don't turn it on for as long as possible.

Hope I could help!

13. deem thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try waiting until a week or so before classes start to see if function is restored. If not, then I'll try using simple green. Do you just put some on a cloth (or paper towel?) and lightly wipe the whole trackpad? Do you try to get into the edges?

14. brianfast macrumors regular

Why not open your macbook proup and look for problems/clean it? Your warranty is already voided.

15. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

$400-$500 seems fair cause it has no warranty, is a liquid damaged electronic device, is a generation old, and considering a new 2010 MBP 13" can be bought for ~$900 (based on back to school promotion and selling freebies) or $999 from microcenter which has numerous upgrades.

For those saying the damaged computer is worth $700-$800, I doubt anyone would pay this because microcenter sells the white macbook for $800 many times throughout the year, with the back to school promotion a white macbook can be obtained for about $800 after selling the freebies, and the apple refurbished store sells the MBP 13" for ~$900 with warranty and undamaged; regardless that you can buy a used undamaged macbook or macbook pro for $700-$800.

16. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I used a cloth, and a cue tip (The things you use to clean your ears) for the edges. The part that actually does the clicking is a little door-bell looking button under the centre of the trackpad. Unless you know what you're doing, I would not reccomend taking the notebook apart.

And I know simple green sounds like it would ruin the notebook, but i've used my MacBook for 3 years now, and it's perfectly ok. (I also have a 2GHz Core Duo Black MacBook that this happened to) Simple green is biodegradable and doesnt have any harmful chemicals like bleach in it, plus it disapears once it's dry. Although, i did dilute it to about 1/2 strength, I.E. 1 Cup SG + 1 Cup Water, and then I used the cloth and cue tips for the edges. I let it dry for a day and it was ok.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I suppose you are right. For others, it's not worth that much money, but for the owner it probably is. If i was the owner, I would try to use a magic mouse or try to buy a new keyboard set if possibly (I'm not sure how it works, but i know the iBooks were very easy to replace.)

18. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Personally, I sold my '08 Unibody 2.0GHz 13" last month for $600 exactly. It didn't even turn on, and i did not include the power adapter.

19. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

I would take it apart and see if you can find some dielectric cleaner aka contact cleaner, spray it down and enjoy your squeaky clean macbook. I have used dielectric cleaner since the 1990's to clean motherboards, logic boards, ram, cpu chips, and graphics cards.

Works like a champ!

20. deem thread starter macrumors newbie

For anyone who cares, I haven't really solved the problem, but I am just going to use this new 3-finger drag that was added with the newest software update or use the one finger drag that I totally forgot was an option. Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully no more problems will occur, but if they do, I know exactly where to go.

21. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Can't you enable your trackpad to register double tag and then drag to highlight text?

From using my MBP 13", I found that you don't really even need the physical click push. Everything can be done without it.