Spilled water on brand new MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidLoco, May 16, 2009.

1. KidLoco macrumors newbie

I have a new Macbook Pro 2.66 ghz. A week ago I spilled about half a glass of water directly on the keyboard. I immediately turned it off, pulled the power cord and pulled the battery.

For 48 hours I let it dry in numerous positions. Water was coming out of the ports, the speaker holes and the PMCI (sp?) slot on the left.

Now the computer seems to be running fine as if nothing happened.
    Am I in the clear? Should I be on the lookout for any potential issues?

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

should be good...

If it was purified/bottled water you were drinking your probably safe. Contrary to popular belief pure H20 does not conduct electricity at all, only the particles in tap water do.

To be even safer you can remove the bottom of the case with a #00 Phillips screwdriver and let it air out in front of a fan.

3. gorjan macrumors 6502

You don't know much chemistry, do you? For water to conduct electricity it has to have electrolytes. Bottled water is full of electrolytes, as is regular tap water. You shouldn't drink pure H2O. ;)

To OP: No body knows. You're probably in the clear, but damage may also become apparent after some time.

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Even if your ok for some time, if anything was to come up later, even if it has nothing to do with the spill, apple will have nothing to do with your machine. That is why I try my best not to drink around my laptop. I didn't spend $2400.00 on a computer and apple care to have it go down the drain.

-hopefully you'll be okay though, just let it air out a little more, possibly in front of a fan, like what was suggested above.

5. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Yeah, it's those darn humidity sensor tabs... oh well, at least your MBP still works, which is the main thing.

6. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I heard many advising not to drink anything around your laptop. Even though i understand the principle, i don't think it is practical at all, especially if you are facing the machine for long periods of time and drink 7-10 cups of tea or coffee. What i think apple should do is to produce water resistance laptops!

7. macffooky macrumors regular

My unshakeable rule is no liquid placed at the same level or higher than my MBP. Far from failsafe of course but I think it's impractical to say never drink around it at all.

8. chinarider macrumors regular

7-10 cups of coffee? yikes!

9. youssefm macrumors 6502

I think you should have let it air out for a couple of days extra just in case, because now you might start getting issues in the future, such as logic board problems, etc. One thing tho I do is I never drink next to my macbook, always like a foot away and on a lower level lmfao, im so scared to spill something

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sure it is, I drink a fair amount of coffee yet, I make sure that any liquid is far enough away from my MBP that if I knock it over, it won't reach the MBP. I spent way to much money to ruin it.

To the OP, if it's working now, then you probably dodged a bullet so take it a lesson to keep drinks away from the laptop.

11. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I always drink and eat around my MBP. I've even used the palm rest as a place to put my can of coke once because there wasn't enough room on the table. I've never spilled anything on my MBP.

to OP: Even if it's still working fine, you might want to let it dry out for another day or two just to make sure.

12. JDee macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine not drinking around the MacBook I'm getting in August!!! :p - as well as that, I wouldn't even think to spill it.

I drink all the time around my BMM and BK but that's not the iMac, is it? :p

13. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

it's ok to drink around your macbook. But if you're a clumsy person, save yourself the heartache and don't be stubborn, don't drink near it!

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I drink next to my computer all the time. I'm also very careful by putting it behind the laptop (behind the lid), so if someone else were to knock it over, it would go in another direction.

15. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I drink next to my MBP all the time too, but I never set the drink down right next to the computer. I always at least extend my hand to the right to set my drink down so it's nowhere near it in case of accidental spillage.

16. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Here's what my desk looks like...
    5 cans of Pepsi and some chinese take-out. :p
    [​IMG]

17. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

:mad::

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Wow. Really? There are so many things wrong with that picture lol. Do those multimeter cables have lead in them?

19. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I like it! I see I'm not the only one who does that ;)
    And the username to go with that pic is epic

20. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I am addicted to Pepsi, I have it with me all hours I am awake.

It's about 18 inches from my computer, be it my MBP or my iMac, but it is NOT on the same table/level. I installed a small shelf on the side of my desk that holds the drink about 6 inches below the computer/keyboard.

If you MUST drink when using the Macbook/Pro another 'smart' option ......

Use an external KB/Mouse so there is distance between the drink and the computer.

Food/Drink/Smoking really are not compatible with computers! ;)

21. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Glad to see someone else likes my humor. :)

BTW, of course that's not how my desk usually is. And I didn't drink that much pepsi in one day either. But I when I do drink something, it is usually to the right of my laptop (where the multimeter is).

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

23. ethical macrumors 68000

it might be ok now but corrosive damage takes time. id suggest opening it up and letting it dry out. look here for guides on opening it up.

24. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

at least it's diet pepsi :p