Spilt coffee all over touch bar macbook pro!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jzema, Jan 7, 2017.

1. jzema macrumors newbie

Anyone got any advice as to what i should do? not sure if i have insurance for it. pretty sure it's already broken as i turned it off straight away but accidentally closed the lid and reopened it and it didn't turn back on. maybe this happens when you turn it off by the power button though? (anyone want to test this for me?)

2. an3s macrumors newbie

You dont have a insurrance in and around home?

3. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Eeek!

Maybe let it dry out and give it some time? Sorry for the misfortune. Do you by chance have Apple Care? Not that they cover it but Apple might be a little more understanding and help out if you do potentially.

Best of luck

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

5. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Having coffee or any drink while on Mac not a good idea. Always a chance of a spill happening !

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Leave it for a few days to dry out . I would give it 3 days to be safe and try turning it on. Place it somewhere it can dry out. Might still be okay

7. jzema thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help so far all! anyone who has a touch bar macbook willing to test turning it off by the power button and then closing and opening the lid and seeing if it turns on by itself?

8. avinator macrumors member

9. Kimcha macrumors regular

I spilled some water a few months ago on my 2012 rMBP and it survived just fine, so there may be hope :)

I turned it off right away and turned it upside down (keyboard down) and then let it sit there like that for 7 days and then turned it on again and haven't had any problems for the past few months.

You can also put a fan in the room to help the air move around.

10. Roller macrumors 68020

A few suggestions:

1. Some credit cards provide protection against accidental damage. See if that applies to you.

2. My daughter spilled milk on her 2009 MBP years ago. We brought it to the Apple Store on a Saturday evening and explained exactly what happened. Apple had it back it her by Wednesday with no charge.

3. Even if you can get it to boot after a few days, there may be hidden damage that won't manifest for some time. Coffee may be worse than water in this regard.

Good luck.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I owned one, if you shutdown by holding the power button, you will need to hit the power button again

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201150

12. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

It functions like any other laptop in the market. If you turn it off by the power button, it won't magically turn on again by opening the lid. No laptop that I'm aware of does that. If it's off, then it's off.

14. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Was it Starbucks coffee? That stuff will burn a hole in anything.

15. jzema thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2017 ---
    Actually, The MacBook Pro with touch bar turns on if you life the lid if you turn it off within the OS (I.e pressing shut down on the menu bar). I'm not referring to sleep mode, etc

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Tell us how is goes in a few days op.

If it was me, I'd actually pull the thing apart and clean it before turning it on though. I'm assuming we are talking coffee , milk and sugar?

17. jzema thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah: coffee, milk, and sugar.

I just got someone I know who has the non touchbar MacBook Pro (2016) and they force turned it off and it did switch back on upon upcoming the lid, so I assume it's fried :/

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Don't give up hope yet.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73395

Step 14: looks like the new KB would have provided better protection

19. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Look it's just happened! Let it dry in a box of rice for a good day or so and then try again. There's no easy answer for you here I'm afraid pal.

20. jerryk, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017

jerryk macrumors 68030

This is the reason I never eat or drink near a laptop. Even if it does come back alive the damage is done. Liquids are working with the metals on circuit board to corrode connections. And even a small spill trips the liquid damage indicator dots that Apple puts all over the inside.

Too bad Apple is not like Lenovo thinkpads. They seal they key shafts and put the keyboard on a drain tray that routes liquids to drains in the bottom of the system. I have seen people dump a large coffee on them and continue working. Downside is they are a bit bulky.

21. jzema thread starter macrumors newbie

So it seems like the home insurance will cover it (obviously i have to pay the relatively small excess fee though)

I suspect everything is damaged so assume Apple will suggest a replacement. problem is mine is a 16gb ram config so will probably have to wait a few weeks to get it back! life lesson i guess!

22. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Count yourself lucky (relatively speaking)!

23. MarcBou macrumors regular

Yo can allways go to the Apple store and say "I don't know what happened, it just won't work" :eek:

24. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Wait, you actually sit down at your computer before finishing your coffee?! I'm highly unstable without at least two cups of coffee.

25. Etela macrumors newbie

Hi,
    My sons were Skyping with their sister in Europe, and she wanted to see a water purifying device, which is about 2 feet tall. During the demonstration, they spilled a significant amount of water on my MacBookPro 17" and it died. I took it to an Apple certified technician, who told me that it was beyond repair. So I let it sit for a few weeks and then I took it to London Drugs Computer technician, who apparently took the battery out and put it back in and my beloved MacBook is working. The only problem is that I cannot use the letter "p".
    So do not give up, I am sure there are solutions to your problem.
    If anyone knows how to fix one key on the keyboard, I would appreciate their input.

Happy New Year to everybody!

Etela