SplashTop. Get it.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by entraik, Dec 1, 2010.

1. entraik macrumors 6502a

Best app ever. Remote Desktop management, works flawlessly. Can stream any type of video playing on your PC onto your ipad (No stuttering like other apps give). Also streams audio. Automatically mutes pc sound and sound comes on the Ipad. Flash works flawlessly, hulu works without hiccups.

I even tried World of warcraft on it.. slow, but works, and obv hard to play w/o a keyboard. I'm sure you can run some games on it.

2. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I've been using it for a few weeks now. It's the one I use now and the video playback is hella good. Smooth. Havent tried an MMO yet but I was using JustinTV and it seemed like I was on my desktop and not the iPad. Great app.

3. LWP777 Suspended

I'm having a hard time installing it on my MacBook Pro. I'm running 10.5.8. Does it require Snow Leopard to work?

4. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Wow. Best $1.99 I've spent in a long time. In less than 10mins I was streaming my newly installed copy of Back to the Future in all its glory. There is a slight loss in vid quality but that's to be expected.

Thanks OP!

5. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

It looks like it does according to the requirements posted at splashtopremote.com :(

6. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Indeed. I don't know if it is as efficient on a Mac either since I don't have a PC to use as a reference but video playback from Megavideo is quite choppy for me. Still better IMHO to just use Flashget and grab the stream and use Air Video to stream it directly via online conversion.

7. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

I'm running at now on my Macbook Pro with 10.6.5. The installation was smooth and it seems to be running well too. Just listened to iTunes and played a movie with Quicktime, to my iPad. Pretty neat and great for the price.

8. ABG macrumors 6502

I've had it for a few weeks - love having a full OS on the iPad screen. My only issue is the Control-Alt-Delete to logon fix still doesn't work for me, which is a problem when I'm accessing my work computer.

9. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I love how it just finds my computers on the network rather than me having to manually add the IP address and host and all that jazz. I use it on the PC and I love the app.

10. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

the big problem with it is how to get it to work with an outside wifi connection like from a friends house or a coffee place?

11. Lukeyy19, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

i already had it, i used it on my Vista Laptop, but then i got an iMac, but they recently added beta support for Snow leopard, luckily i kept it hoping they would, its a great value app, best 59 pence i spent (it's £1.19 now but still would be worth it).

i made a short video demonstrating Splashtop Remote with Snow Leopard 10.6.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h103cSEGrNc

12. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Another problem I noticed if ur Mac is off or in sleep mode for a long time before using this app it won't connect. And also it would be great for games ESP if u could control the mouse icon not on direct touch but away from the cursor and the cursor was. Bit bigger or easier to pinpoint.

13. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

probably because your mac has shut the WiFi card down to save power

why would you want to play PC games on your ipad anyway, they are never going to be anywhere near as good as on the PC, play iPad games on the iPad, if the mouse pointer was not directly under your finger press then you would not know exactly where to click. and it cant be any bigger unless you make your mouse pointer on your mac bigger, its just displaying that.

14. svrds10 macrumors newbie

Looks like a great app. Wish it supported access over the LAN. I am looking for something like this that can be accessed from anywhere not just my home. But for the price you cant beat it :)

15. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

That would be ideal. Try Jump. I use that for over the LAN -- works nicely.

16. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

it does work on a LAN, it wont work over a WAN...

17. Mazenat macrumors member

U R right,

Excellent flawless App. I really hope that the creators would make it possible to connect through wireless AND internet.

18. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

why not? don't you just need to open the proper port on the firewall?

It works great for dual monitors too, just give it a shake to switch screens.

I use it for both my macbook and pc at work when I'm out running around the hospital.

19. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Do you know how to make my iMac not turn off the wifi to save power? Does it consume a lot of power or something? I think there should be a way to manually turn it on via the app by the way.

Well I think pc games are a lot better, more complex, and u can play with more players online than any ipad games. Most ipad games are just crappy casual phone game ripoffs like angry birds or games totally not tailored to the ipad but made for the iPhone. And rts games should be co troll able and just as playable as on a pc or at least on a Mac book air air. Look at the idos emulator: games like warcraft 1 and 2 play just fine and are more enjoyable than being hunched over a computer desk on a hard wooden chair and be confined to playing them in ur house. There is no reason games like doable or Warcraft or star craft wouldn't work well on a touch screen if the mouse pointer was more precise or if it had a setup like iDOS.

20. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

I tried doable 2 and speed wise it played just fine, it's that the controls sucked. Look at the idos emulator or Underworlds. If those apps are controlled well there is no excuse the creators of this app can't tailor to gamers as well.

21. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I regret to inform you that an iPad is NOT a full computer, and to expect it to perform like one is ridiculous. If you want to play computer games, then you play them on your computer, the way it was designed, otherwise I can promise you that it's not going to work right. It's simply not possible for a 10 inch little iPad to run full games that were designed for the full processing power of a dedicated machine to handle. Not to mention games require a keyboard and mouse, things the iPad obviously does not have. The app is perfectly fine and works exactly as designed. When you start asking things to do what they're not intended to do, you are obviously going to have problems.

And by the way - iPad has plenty of just fine games out there. Stop complaining.

22. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

I meant diablo 2 not doable 2. And you're wrong because emulators are designed to do things on systems that weren't designed for. Look at the dolphin wii emulator, it plays better with better graphics than the actual wii and even is more fun with USB co trollers for 2d games than the actual wii controls. Or look at the amigos emulator for the psp the psp has even less viewing screen and weirded button layouts than the ipad yet it plays much better for games than this app in terms of cotrols if nothing else. And look at various dos emulators on systems, also much better for games than this app.

23. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Wow that a great app! I just installed it due to the recommendation of this thread and am blown away.

Brwosing the web via Chrome on my Mac actually seems faster than using Safari/Atomic natively on the iPad, pages load much much faster. The touch controls aren't quite as accurate/responsive since you are controlling the cursor on the other end but they load so much faster that it may be worth putting up with.

One problem I am having is bringing up the Dock in OSX. How is it done? Moving the cursor to the bottom on the screen does not bring it up. (I have the Dock auto hide). The only way I've been able to open apps is by using the Finder search feature.

24. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

the Mac side of things is still in a beta form at the moment, i would suggest you inform the creators (Splashtop Inc) of this problem and they can have a look.

http://support.splashtopremote.com/home

25. HXGuy macrumors 68000

One thing Im noticing is that my iPad is heating up considerably using SplashTop, more so then has ever happened since owning the iPad.