All iPads Split screen? When?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Klae17, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

When do you think (if you think) Apple will allow users to have split screen apps? The excuse of battery life isn't a good one. Users know already that the more things you run, the faster the battery depletes.

I'm annoyed that in order to message someone back the iPad switches apps completely instead of letting you reply directly in other apps (like Mavericks). That's just one example. Looking up things on the internet and writing an email at the same time should be easier, for example.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I think it's better to swipe back and forth between apps. Split screen seems like a gimmick to me. What screen size do you think app developers should code for? Full screen? Half screen? One-third screen? Can you image the negative trade-offs?

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think the split screen app idea as Windows 8 does it is superb, as it allows you to have two apps open at once, or flip between fullscreen apps like the iPad. It's amazingly useful, especially for chatting on IM or watching Netflix while being productive.

Hopefully soon, but my gut says that's "too complex" for Apple, and we'll never see it.

4. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

The positives outweigh the negatives. And it is for apple to optimize the screen and OS for that, not the developers. Swiping is inefficient and can be done better.

5. Altis macrumors 68030

iOS is far too linear for that. Even writing something while looking up stuff on the internet is a chore on the iPad... I wouldn't want to throw anything else into the mix, like videos, chat, etc..

What there should be is an overlay. For example, being able to quick-reply right from a message notification. Seriously, how hard is that? There are a lot of apps that restart when you leave them to answer that message and go back.

6. tl01 macrumors 68000

I would love to browse the internet or iMessage while a movie or show was playing on the side. I rarely have time to just watch a movie... I've so it would be nice to do two things at once.

7. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Anything. Would be better than what we have now. Maybe ios 8.

If I'm watching a movie that would be cool to message, take notes, do Facebook stuff, draw, etc. If I'm looking up something for research i don't want to go back and forth just to write an essay. It can be done!

8. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

It's nifty but more gimmicky than useful. I have the ability on my note 3 and haven't ever had a practical need for it.

I do agree with the sentiments that some sort of pop up for certain functions would be handy.

9. docprego macrumors 65816

I also have a Note 3 and have used this feature one time in the month that I have had the phone. It's not something I would miss if it were gone. Besides Apple seems to be moving progressively towards full screen apps on the Mac so it makes sense for them to follow suit on the iPad.

10. Altis macrumors 68030

You more or less need a laptop for that kind of use. As much as people say iPads are amazing computers, and they are, they are very limited when it comes to doing more than one thing at once. Even trying to take notes from online research is excruciating.

The solutions aren't easy, but if the iPad is to really be the future of personal computing, it needs to be able to handle things like multi tasking, user accounts, having all web pages actually work properly, etc...

It'll be a while yet until they figure out ways to make iOS less linear and more versatile.

11. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

I had an app that had note taking functions and a browser and it split the screen between those two functions. Very useful.

12. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

It is absolutely mind-boggling to me that there is STILL no way to quickly reply to text messages in iOS. Is there no real drive for this among the developers or is Apple just that stubborn?

Mavericks has added this feature so I'm assuming it is only a matter of time for iOS. It will be years and years too late but better than never.

13. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

The iPad aspect ratio isn't suited well for the type of split screen used in Windows 8. Widescreen definitely works better here, but overall isn't as good a format for tablets IMO.

I think Apple may start adding some overlaid multitasking capabilities once the devices have more RAM. This would be for core system functions, as other have mentioned with iMessages. I think FaceTime would be an excellent candidate, with a little hovering window on the screen that can be easily thrown into another corner if it gets in the way. iOS 8 will probably build upon the layered design of iOS 7 for some of these features, combined with Mavericks for things like quick reply.

An interesting approach for the iPad could be to snap an iPhone sized version of the app to the side of the screen that can be moved around. That would provide at least some benefit without requiring crazy developer trickery. Even iPhone Safari on the side while typing a paper could be useful. But it might be too big and get in the way.

Overall I feel like the ultimate solution to this problem is still several years away. It's complicated to do in a simple manner on an iPad-sized device using obvious methods to activate and control the mode and the applications to be paired together. If Apple can't make it easy then they probably won't do it. That may be why copy and paste took a couple years. It seems obvious now, but Apple wanted to nail it as it should be intuitive to use and stay consistent for years to come.

14. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I can tell you as a developer it will require both parties to do a lot of work. Most iOS apps today are set up with auto-sizing constraints which work fine for simple things like rotation and such. But we are talking completely different layouts here. The best I think they could do is allow apps to run in iPhone mode on the side (So 320 points wide.) But even then it would only really work in landscape mode. And the iPad app next to it would have to deal with a square aspect ratio.

And that doesn't even go into the UI problems that this will cause. When I open the multitasking menu, do the apps split apart? When I open an app does it open the full window or the just a partial one? Basically it would require a ton of new UI interactions that people would have to learn.

Windows 8.1 deals with it pretty well, but it is by design - you essentially have a "running app" window and the metro start screen. If you open an app it goes into the running app window and to split the view you drag a window from your multitasking view. Now you have two apps in the running app window. So when you are on the start screen and open a new app it asks if you want to open it in front of App A or App B in the running app window. The problem with iOS right now is that every app has its own window.

Plus you have the last problem, the iPad's 4:3 screen. Most windows 8 tablets are 16:9 and meant to be used in landscape, versus the iPad which is designed for any orientation, but ideally portrait. So on 16:9 screens you have more width to work with for splitting the screen space.

I have used a Win8 tablet and the screen splitting is quite nice, but it has a few annoyances. If I have two apps split and want to view my desktop I have to pull it into the split view then resize it to fullscreen. Then I have to redo the split view over again when returning to the other two apps. Little things like that tend to make it more of an annoyance to use.

But if Apple could figure out a more intuitive way to control it then I would be all for it.

15. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

16. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Multitask will be landscape only and will display the apps in portrait mode. If one is landscape the other app resizes it self. Honestly, it can be done.

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

It is not about can it be done, it is about can it be done in a way that is intuitive and easy to use.

There are ways to do it, but they all require new gestures and a new multitasking interface which are both things that Apple are reluctant to change.

18. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I can multitask already. If I wanna text while I'm watching a movie on my iPad, that's what my iPhone is for :p

19. lilo777 macrumors 603

Then, of course, Galaxy Note 10.1 and Note 3 owner can watch a movie and use two messengers (or whatever other apps) simultaneously. Cross that - this guy could actually run four apps simultaneously, for example, a movie, web browser, Twitter and Facebook.

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I can't believe they haven't stolen bites me style responses yet,...they've taken so much else from the jailbreak community.

21. keatth macrumors 6502

i would love to play words with friends while watching Netfliz

22. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

When they manage to add more ram.

----------

Surface already handles all of that.

23. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

As a developer - I'd say it's definitely do-able. As a user, I'd say it's not worth it as I'm perfectly fine flicking between full screen apps.

Apple does a fine job in allowing developers build apps with automatically sized controls - just switch any app from landscape to portrait. - It wouldn't take much to resize apps for side by side.

It's just not very elegant and I'd question the priority. You need to look at things like ratio: only 50/50? 60/40? custom? that just turns things to crap... If you need to look at doing two things at once - multi-task and let notifications to their thing. Bigger fish to fry are:

- Multiple user accounts
    - Designing a better dual mode device (Surface Pro is an ambitious try at this)
    - Make it all more elegant that anything labeled Surface Pro.

24. erawsd macrumors 6502

Hopefully, it happens soon. Multitasking on an iPad is still awful and really limiting. If they are bringing out an "iPad Pro" something like multitasking would make a great flagship feature.

25. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I'm sure we will see it sooner than later. iOS 8 feature perhaps?