Splitting power in optical bay 2012MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Nov 26, 2014.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

2. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

3. freshbread macrumors member

You want two drives in the lower bay while retaining the connection to optical drive in upper bay? Won't you lose performance with this Y splitter? Or is this a different thing you are suggesting?

----------

Well just saw this link...http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1694051

4. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Power Draw should be ok. Looking to have 2 SSDs and the optical.

5. ssgbryan macrumors 6502a

ssgbryan

Shouldn't have a problem, this is what I do with my system.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Cut off the tab on the SATA power cable plug. That's what I did and now it plugs into the combo plug on the Mac Pro. I w@ unable to separate the data cable though. I just used the power side and the data port from the plug from the Mac Pro isn't being used (the first SATA and data is plugged into the first optical drive, I'm using the second one for my external PSU

7. handheldgames, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014

handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

Depending on where you need to use it, the source of the Optical bay power is at the front of the MP Case and the cable can bel split at any location. FWIW, I tapped into the power about 3" from the start of the plug in to provide power to the PCIe and M-PCIe bays. (I pulled the cover back, used a lighter on each line to melt the plastic, secured the extension and taped it up with electrical tape) .

A cheap <$10 voltage checker can be used to identify the power lines since they are not color coded.

As I no longer use the DVD drive and have a cheap external for emergencies, I use 2 SATA Extensions from a PCIe SATA III adapter to the DVD Bay SATA cables(by the power plug) to provide 2 high-speed connections without creating too much of a mess.

goog luck