"Spoiler-Free" WWDC 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by FSMBP, Jun 5, 2011.

1. FSMBP, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Hi all, come here for a spoiler-free experience of WWDC 2011! This thread will contain the live keynote stream (if one is available). Until then, please don't post any rumors/speculation.

OFFICIAL LINK TO KEYNOTE: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/11piubpwiqubf06/event/

Below are the rules & the Keynote Checker (Courtesy of our member, Voidness). Thanks!

Rules
    - Do not mention any current rumors/new rumors
    - Do not talk about Fight Club
    - Do not mention Apple's stock price
    - Do assume everyone in this thread has heard nothing about WWDC '11
    - Use common sense when posting
    - Do not say what was not in the Keynote (ex. "They didn't update MacBooks")
    - Be Patient!

Mod Edit:
    Link to a keynote checker created by Voidness: http://insightview.com/keynotechecker/

Also if someone does post spoilers please report them via the button [​IMG] located on the left of each post. Please do not quote the offending post.

2. temux macrumors newbie

Great! I was waiting for this to come up. Almost started one on my own ;)

3. raep macrumors member

raep

Sweet I've been waiting for these will be staying Spoiler free this year like I do every year. :)

4. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Lucky for me, I've got class during the event so it will be easier for me to go spoiler free again this year. I'm excited for Monday!

5. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

One More Thing...

I'm totally excited that it's that time of year again :)

While the 'official' rules of the forum have yet to be posted I have the following tips for anyone wanting to stay 100% spoiler free as I can guarantee the following WILL happen!

- someone will post spoilers in the spoiler free thread
    - Those in the know will leave cryptic clues talking around the subject
    - people will argue about the definition of 'spoiler free'

Forgive me if this sounds a litlle bitter, but it's happened in every spoiler free thread so far. For me, spoiler free means I don't even want to know whether Steve walked out on stage, whether things were 'as expected' or whether other people's expectations were realised.

Thankfully the forum mods are usually pretty good at sorting out the junk and being on top if it. Also, his voidness is a legend :) and will hopefully Be updating his keynote checker at http://insightview.com/keynotechecker/

Buckle up people. It's going to be a hell of a ride :)

6. jpg macrumors regular

It's the reason why I love macrumors. Still remember the last one. It was awesome! ;)

7. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It's going to be a tough ride. I hope Apple get's back to streaming the event live!

Either way, do we have any brave souls who want to post the link for the live stream (once Apple posts it)?? Our great, kind member Voidness usually does this, but incase he's not up to it, please feel free to volunteer!

Thanks again.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

9. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Not trying to be a jerk at all, but what is the point of a spoiler free thread? It seems kind of silly to me.

10. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Hey! NO SPECULATING.:cool:

11. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Cheers FSMBP! Been looking for one of these threads for a while! :)

It's for those, like me, who like to watch the keynote without prior knowledge of what's going to happen. Think of it like going to go see a movie with friends, and having one of them spoil the ending. I don't know about you, but I dislike when people ruin the endings of movies. Same goes for these keynotes.

12. wdw_ macrumors regular

wdw_

Steve Jobs is a showman. He loves his products and it shows. He often caps off keynotes with surprises. If we read all about what's been released after the fact, it spoils what surprises might have been in the keynote. Not that there are always surprises. But when there are, they're big.

The next best thing to being in the room when it's announced is watching the live stream. If there's no live stream, the next best thing is to sequester yourself and wait for the video to be released.

and btw, everbody, TELLING US WHAT WAS NOT RELEASED IS A SPOILER!!!

13. Illusion986 macrumors 6502

Illusion986

Ahh... i was worried there wasn't a spoiler free thread...

14. theobvious macrumors newbie

Yes, this is great! Love watching the keynotes without any prior information.

15. Blaine, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

FSMBP, please update the first post with the link when it's available?

I don't like reading through everyones post while looking for the link.

Idiots always comment on what's going on and they usually end up leaking small bits of information. I wish people in this thread would just keep their trap shut.

They'll be like:

"hmm well guys, wasn't very exciting" or

"wow, the rumors were really right on track this year"

Last year idiots were posing that Steve's wifi went out for a second during the keynote.

Dammnit people, I don't want SPOILERS!!!

So this is why I don't want to have to read through this whole thread
    Sorry for ranting :eek: <3

16. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

17. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

I hear you, Blaine. And then when you call them on their posts and it being a spoiler free thread they are all like "oh, that's not not a spoiler, don't be stupid'.

It makes me think of a bully in the playground going over to a group of kids and telling them their game is stupid. Were not hurting anyone so why can't we have our fun :)

You might want to bookmark VOIDNESS's keynote checker which has now been updated for WWDC 2011. http://insightview.com/keynotechecker/

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I've put the keynote checker link in the original post.

Also if someone does post a spoiler please report the post [​IMG] and do not quote it as it means more work to clean up but in your case more likelyhood that you will see the spolier.

19. Spotless macrumors member

Hey all,

Here we go again!

Its gonna be a good one this year, me thinks.

Also; Thanks Voidness! (as always)

20. Macnoviz, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011

Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Hi everyone!

seems like a great keynote to go spoiler free.

I hope for that it won't take very long to be posted online, especially for people in and around Europe, who always face the difficult choice between staying up until the early hours not knowing how much longer it will take, or going to sleep and watching the keynote first thing in the morning (I think I'll go for the latter this year if it's not posted before midnight GMT+1)

21. Cabocorso, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011

Cabocorso macrumors newbie

As I live in the Netherlands I fully understand what you mean. Let's just hope for a live stream.

22. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Macnoviz - I know you mean well but can I point you to the first rule of fight club, er I mean spoiler free club! :D

- Do not mention any current rumors/new rumours

I was actually reading this forum on my iPhone and the white text just rendered as normal text in black. I appreciate you tried to hide it but it's a slippery slope, if everyone starts posting stuff in invisotext then the forums gonna get messy :)

EDIT: just saw you edited it. Thanks. I'm also in the UK and will try and stay up to watch it as soon as it's live :)

23. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Actually, that must have been a mod. I hadn't read the rules, I've done quite a few spoiler-free threads, but I didn't recall the pre-keynote rumours being off-limits. (the "rules" have gone through a few iterations, mostly based on experience (like the stock price-rule))

24. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Cool. Kudos to the mods :) I think a good rule of thumb is don't say anything at all ;)

25. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Some extra tips for staying spoiler-free:

-turn off software-updates, RSS feeds, e-mail (or use a rule to hide those from apple)

-avoid any news: online, radio, television

-stay off technology websites, twitter, basically any site that follows recent events (even sites like memebase)

-avoid talking to people who may be following apple news, or who know you're interested in apple related news

Recommended ways of spending your waiting time: playing a single player video game, archive binging on websites you like (notalwaysright.com, dilbert.com, xkcd.com, tvtropes.org spring to mind), spending time with friends or family (provided they know not to spoil anything keynote-related), doing work or studying.