Spoke to Radio Shack this morning...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ElectroLov3, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ElectroLov3 macrumors newbie

BackStory: After getting frustrated with the Apple/AT&T preorder system, I called Radio Shack and they said that they were waiting for corporate to send the SKUs to their system so they could begin the preorder. He said it would be any minute.

Since Radio Shack is across the street, I went right over. I was the first to preorder a WHITE iPhone 16g. They told me they knew nothing, just had a set number of SKUs they could assign their customers and that I would be guaranteed a white iPhone at launch.

Now mind you, this was before the whole "nobody's getting white ones...blah blah blah..." whatever.

This Morning: Spoke to the manager at Radio Shack who told me that for launch most locations have been instructed to ONLY fulfill pre-sale orders with the inventory they will get. They've been told that at the most they'll be getting ONLY the requested (pre-sale) inventory...both colors...and that's it.

He also said that while they're FULLY expecting a very limited number of white iPhones, if for some reason they can't fulfill my request, I'll be given a black one no problem...and I can follow their 30-day return policy if the white one is launched before then.

I just thought I'd share what I was told. Hopefully this helps somebody...but again this could very well differ by store.

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Out of curiosity, this is all in the past, or could people walk in today and "quietly" make a preorder?

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

By presale order, do youi mean the ones that were given a PIN? My radio shack was not able to generate any PINs. I just put my name on a list. I don't expect to get one from there, let alone a white one (I "ordered" a black one).

4. ElectroLov3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. My order was given a PIN. I walked in, he took my AT&T number, social, zip code...put it all in the computer (mind you, I watched him do all this) then he clicked past a screen. Took my phone, email, address, which phone, color, size, had me verify everything. Hit the process button. Something printed out from the receipt paper. He stapled it to something else. And there it was! && I was the first in the store to go through the process.

5. aserafin macrumors member

I was at Radio Shack yesterday to buy a fathers day gift, and decided to talk to the clerk about the new phone. He said that they were no longer accepting any orders for the phone at this time, so maybe it depends on the location. He did, however, offer to accept my 3G on a trade-in for a radio shack gift card. (no idea what I'd do with store credit there?!?)

6. ElectroLov3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, he also said that this morning later in the day on the 15th they were told to stop taking pre-sale requests, even if they still had unreserved SKUs left.

7. samven582 macrumors 6502a

if apple is not selling the white iPhone, what makes you think radioshack will?

8. ElectroLov3 thread starter macrumors newbie

They never said they weren't selling them. They just said they weren't available for reservation or pre-order. Which could mean they have a limited supply, but aren't necessarily able to produce any more at the moment.

It would make more sense to me to distribute what they already have across the retail stores where it takes a bit more effort to get them instead of having them as a free for all on the internet.

Besides, how dumb would it look for the white iphone to be sold out in minutes, while the black one would be available for the majority of the day? It's better to just not have it up there at all...don't you think?

Just my *hopeful* reasoning...but I'm not claiming to be right...or know anything. That's just what I think...

9. Sinfire macrumors regular

I have not seen anything yet that states the white iPhone will not be available for launch. They just didn't make them available for pre-orders

10. samven582 macrumors 6502a

you do know that white version will not available until late summer.

11. ElectroLov3 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I don't. and I'm curious as to how you do...since there hasn't been any official statement.

People like you are the reason there's so much unnecessary negativity across these forums. You think you know more than the rest of us, when really, up until the 15th you had NO idea that the white iPhone wouldn't be available!

You didn't know that Apple and AT&T would screw up this many pre-orders.

You didn't know Best Buy or Radio Shack or even Wal-Mart would even be selling them at launch until you read the press release.

So NOW all of a sudden you have some 'insider knowledge' that the rest of us don't? Get real. You're making assumptions like the rest of us.

Until there is official confirmation, or Steve called you up and told him yourself, just sit down, shut up, and wait.

12. 8mpg macrumors regular

Im not holding my breath about Radio Shack...my local store wasnt able to get any pin numbers... they said IF they get any for launch day, they will call the people on their list. Im towards the top of 10. 1/2 of those people wanted white, but I doubt they will have any.

I have followed up with them a couple times and the manager said he'd bump me to the top. I pray that the best buy reservations I have come through. If not, Im gonna be pissed about $100 in gift cards.

13. RC83 macrumors 6502

Call up Best Buy and see whats up... Im pretty sure they may know how many there getting, considering shipping confirmations are being sent out to people..

14. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

15. ElectroLov3 thread starter macrumors newbie

That sucks...because the PIN numbers are how I think Apple knows how many phones to allocate to each store. If the store couldn't get any PIN numbers, then that means that their store is showing up as 'zero needed' to Apple...and at this point I really don't think Apple is sending non-reserve(preorder) general stock to ANYbody other than Apple retail stores.

16. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

I know you want it to be true so badly so my question is what are you going to do when you go there and there are no white ones? Buying a black one or holding out for another month or so when they are released?

17. ElectroLov3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ideally I'll be walking out with my white one. but if not, I'll buy the black one...and then get a white one ASAP.

18. jamonandon macrumors newbie

just called my radio shack and they already had 24 people on their "list." they are just gonna start calling people starting with the first guy when they get shipments in. he said at best they would get 10-12 on launch day, and IF there are any white ones he said it would only be 1.

19. ElectroLov3 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good to know because I'm #1 at my store with a PIN. So if they do get only ONE white iPhone, it's mine!!!

20. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Where did I ever claim I have insider knowledge? Its obvious there are not going be selling the white iPhone on launch day. Its not even available for pre-order on apple's website. If Apple is not selling it on launch day, no one is.

21. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Why is the white phone such a sought after choice?

22. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

Because some people hate blacks.

23. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Because there are a lot of women who want them, as well as a lot of effeminate men that also would like one.

24. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I can't wait until the 24th has come and gone so all of this speculation is over.

Actually, axe that idea. If the white phone is not released on launch, then the guesses will start on when. My two pennies is that Apple stores only will get a few white phones on Launch Day. No one else. The reason they disabled pre-orders was the low stock. Again, just my opinions, but if Apple isn't selling them, how could anyone else be?

Blonde Buddhist

25. XJ13sd macrumors member

I would like to know

I am curious what happens with the order. My understanding from reading multiple sources is iPhone 4 in white will not be available until late summer so I would like to know if u actually get one. I don't even want white ordered black but just curious if u get what u want.

However, I would try calling apple and ask if they will have any launch day whites for walk in customers if they say no, don't expect yours to be white from radioshack, they are not the most reliable company and are not receiving anything apple does not have. Just don't be surprised or dissapointed if it's not white