Sponge Bob Square Butt Burger King Commercial

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jecapaga, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

So I saw this commercial the other day and was a bit perplexed by what I was seeing. The Burger King mascot, rapping Sir Mix Alot, sexually suggestive dressed women dancing, square butts, and a kids cartoon? As it played I thought wtf is this? And then at the end, the commercial pitches that it's for a kid's meal, focusing on some Sponge Bob Square Pants tie-in with the kid's meal. After the commercial was over I was a little disturbed that Burger King was pushing their advertising at children with such a total focus on the objectification of women and on sex. Trying to sell cheeseburgers to children with women bent over.

I'm far from a prude but this just seems a little off to me. Discuss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nopKDuydRo

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do we know this was actually made by BK?
    Or is it just a parody?
    Before BK is trashed for this... that would be a question I would ask.

If it is a true ad... where would it be shown? It is nearly two and half minutes... so I don't see this being shown as a commercial on TV. Has anyone seen it anywhere other than YouTube?

It was a ridiculous video BTW

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. jecapaga thread starter macrumors 601

jecapaga

I didn't pay attention to the length of the youtube source but it is a real commercial running on American TV, I just saw it again, hence this thread. Perhaps the TV ad is scaled down but it's virtually the same. At the end, the commerical talks about getting your kid's meal for $2.99 or whatever the price is.

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I see the Spongebob BK ad: 'Square butt' ad @least 2x times day on tv and it looks like the Original songwriter/singer {Sir Mix a lot} have approved to the Sponge ad... :eek:

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Interesting... does it run for the full 2 1/2 minutes like YouTube, or is it scaled down?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Probably close to 2 min... never timed it ... :eek:

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I saw this a few hours ago, and I'm going to agree with the OP on this. I don't think that this is appropriate. Seriously this add is targeted to 7-11 year olds, there is no reason for women to be shaking their @sses at the screen.

Don

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Good god, this country has such a problem with anything remotely sexual its frightening. I feel like we are quakers or something compared to the rest of the world.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Normally, I'd agree. But have you actually watched the commercial?

10. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

No one is saying that anything remotely sexual is bad, but why is a company using sex to advertise to kids? I could understand using sex in ads that target teens, but young kids, I think that is morally questionable.

Don

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes ive watched it, repeatedly.

Its a square box on a womans ass that is completely blocking her figure. So frightening.

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

The point is that they are shaking their @sses (even if they are square) at the TV, in a commercial for young kids. You seriously don't think that it's okay to use sex in advertisements targeted at young kids, do you?

Don

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I have no problem with it, because I live in reality, where that has been going on for damn near 40 years (at least) now.

I understand that it is obviously sexual to us as teens and above, but how in the hell is that sexual to a 7 or 9 year old? And what exactly is wrong with sexuality in the first place? I dont buy into this immorality garbage (might be because religion has no sway on me).

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't consider a fully clothed female with a square box attached to her ass that might be covering up any crack that might have been visible as sex. Besides, there's probably more ass shaking in a Hannah Montana video.

Now this is selling a burger with sex

15. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

But why does BK need to use that kind of commercial when targeting young kids? It makes no sense. IMO opinion it is inappropriate for young kids.

Don

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I take it you guys also have issues with chips ahoy commercials, after all ive seen some that are FAR more sexual, with a cookie and a girl getting close to getting it on.

Why is this damn country so freakin sexually repressed?

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because kids like Spongebob? A 7 year old isn't going to say "Mommy, I want a hot piece of ass, can you take me to Burger King?" They're going to say "Mommy, I want Spongebob, can you take me to Burger Kind?"

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why?

It lures in the kids with spongebob.
    It gets the dads/males with the women.

Thats just good marketing.

19. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh god, thank you so much for the laugh.

21. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Right so why do they need to put women shaking their @sses at the camera in the commercial? Why can't they just put Sponge Bob in the commercial? They did so they can get some cheap publicity. It's inappropriate for young kids IMO. That's all I have to say about this.

Don

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Isn't anything with Sponge Bob in it creepy?

Don

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What dont you get about appealing to multiple markets? Like I said earlier, it covers several bases with different appeals, kids, males, and those who like comedy.

Any comments on the chips ahoy commercials?

25. JLatte macrumors 6502

Personally, I don't even think the sexuality thing is an issue of whether or not kids should be viewing this. I think it's silly, there's more than enough violence, sexuality on TV that one commercial doesn't matter. I just think the stupid thing is that since the target audience is 7-11 year old children, having a song that most of these kids wouldn't even know, with the square pants reference that none of the kids would know just seems like bad marketing.

And you're right, American commercials (and television) are far too suppressed and everyone gets up in arms over non issues. All sexuality aside, I just think the marketing is poor. Might make for a humorous Carls Jr commercial, or an older audience, not a sponge bob squarepants happy meal.