Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
i called on the 17th and they said that it had shipped and they'd have it today (18th). i might head over in a bit, since it still isnt available for download. walmart should have it tomorrow. walmart also has a free 5$ gift card offer online, but i'm not sure about in-store.

Woohoo, walked into the gamestop near my house, hooked up with an employee that used to work for my wife, he actually had like 10 copies on the shelf.

Got mine, loading it up and will be creature creating!

Good luck all.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I've got the full version, and it's a blast using all of the available parts. It'll be even more fun once the full game is released. :)

Needhelp2

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Spore CC and 10.4 tiger

Surley there is a way to run spore cc on tirger 10.4. With all those smart programers out there. If any one can help that would be super sweet.

Thanks.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Surley there is a way to run spore cc on tirger 10.4. With all those smart programers out there. If any one can help that would be super sweet.

Thanks.

Yeah because a lot of smart programmers are going to dedicate hours of their time forcing and rewriting code so that you can save $100 upgrade to leopard?

:confused:

right then......

alkar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
does the Mac version use Securom too (since it runs the PC version) and ask for online activation ? A shame if MacOS has securom crap too nowadays...

cmyked

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
I just downloaded the mac version of the creature creator for my MacBook, and the application runs... sort of. It gets stuck on a screen with a galaxy on it, and this galaxy rotates if I put the cursor to the edges of the game's screen. If I click in most regions of the game screen, it closes full-screen mode and minimizes the game completely. There are no visible options on the screen. In some regions, clicking causes a link to Spore's page to open in my browser.

Any clues?

giamgiam

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Do you think they'll release the full version for download by the end of the week?

P.S. the help section on spore.com states "Downloadable version is available for the PC ONLY"

giamgiam

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
I sent in a question to Support to clarify whether or not the full mac version would be available for download or not.

katieparker

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
It is rather annoying that the Mac version isn't available for download yet. Had I known it would take so long, I would have ordered the box version!

reload13

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
dowloaded the free trial version on my alu mac 20'' ATI hd 2600 pro and cant play it.IT starts launching but then crashes.has anyone heard anything official?i'm wanna play it!!!!!!!!!:(

Padraic

macrumors regular
dowloaded the free trial version on my alu mac 20'' ATI hd 2600 pro and cant play it.IT starts launching but then crashes.has anyone heard anything official?i'm wanna play it!!!!!!!!!:(

Both the demo and the retail box version run fine on my 20" w/2600 pro alu iMac.

It won't run on my windows pc (AMD XP3200+ (2.2ghz) with an ATI X800PE) for some reason...

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
Just tried it on my Santa Rosa MBP (2.2 Ghz 128MB 8600GT 2GB Ram 10.5.3), and it totally froze up my laptop when I clicked 'take for test drive' or whatever it is to see your new creature in action.

Typical high quality EA Mac port using the oh-so-wonderful Cider technology. Why bother making a native Mac port when you can half-ass it?

*grumbles*

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm partial to the free demo version myself :) but it is pretty cool.

And works nicely on my MacBook Air. That may not be true of the full version with many characters at once--we'll see.

To make it smoother, I dropped res to 1024x640 and set all audio/video detail settings to Medium, except shadows and textures on Low. (None of those settings seemed to hurt the visible quality much, except Low shadows means none--but it made a noticeable speed difference.) Textures were not bump-mapped on any setting, so I'm guessing on another machine that'd what High would do. But you can still see the scales and skin textures clearly.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
one thing for people to check for if their SCC is crashing at start up is make sure you do not have APE installed. (Application Enhancer), Transgaming (the comp that owns CIDER) has mentioned before that it didn't play well with CIDER. APE doesn't play well with a lot of applications but in regards to CIDER it usually happens during the start up of the game.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
i just downloaded it and read on the readme document that you need an intel mac, you can use the macbook integrated graphics, you need to have a 2.0 ghz intel core processor or a 1.7 dual core? i forget but there is a readme with all the tech specs.

ChrisN

reload13

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
one thing for people to check for if their SCC is crashing at start up is make sure you do not have APE installed. (Application Enhancer), Transgaming (the comp that owns CIDER) has mentioned before that it didn't play well with CIDER. APE doesn't play well with a lot of applications but in regards to CIDER it usually happens during the start up of the game.

sry can you be more specific because in my alu mac it crashes at launch.i dont understand exactly what you are saying, and you could be very helpful

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga

sry can you be more specific because in my alu mac it crashes at launch.i dont understand exactly what you are saying, and you could be very helpful

As quoted above, APE is a program that other programs might install. They say it doesn't work in Leopard but some people probably have it left over or have tried to install it. http://unsanity.com/haxies/ape/

You'll need to look at your crash logs to see what's going on. If it is APE you'll see the word "unsanity" and that usually is a good sign it's APE.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
So let me get this straight...if I were to walk in to a GameStop and get the boxed retail version it will work on a Mac?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
The Creature Creator is actually kind of fun but not as flexible as I thought it would be, I mean, maybe I haven't explored all the features but I hate how your creatures have to be perfectly symmetrical, why can't I have a creature with a single eye but that it's not centered on the creature.

I also have no idea how to create snakes and creatures with no limbs, creatings 4 legged creatures is a bit tricky as well, heh. The creature in my avatar was made in the CC.

I guess when Spore comes out it will pretty much come out to stats more than creativity.

To be honest, Spore is still going to be amazing, but the CC really hyped me down a little, it's just not what I expected.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I also have no idea how to create snakes and creatures with no limbs...

Just don't give them any. They'll splersh along the ground and the animation actually looks like a worm moving.

I have one that doesn't have a wormlike body, but also has no legs. When he moves... it's just... yeah. The gracefulness of his locomotion isn't helped by the fact that he's a random coagulation of body parts.

Go to the Sporepedia. I'm TallestSkil, and the one I'm talking about is What The Crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.