Spore Gaming problems! Buy at your own risk!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zotes24, Mar 27, 2009.

1. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

Hello, i just bought the game Spore and i am having troubles with it. 1st after i download the cd an update pops up for the game back to back to back to etc. and its the same update. Then when i run the game everything works fine (the begining cut scenes) but when the game is about to start it cuts off and an error popup comes up. anyone know the problem?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What do you mean "download the CD"?

What does the error message say?

3. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

sorry i meant when i put in the cd and download the software. After i launch Spore an update pops up, so i download it, and after that update is done another pops up and another and it continues. Then when cancel the 5th update which i believe are all the same and run the game everything works fine. the main menu cut scenes, but when the game is about to start the screen goes blank and this msg pops up. (i have an external monitor 22 inch if that is a problem)
    Picture 2.png

anyone

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Maybe the game "evolved" to the point it no longer playable? < just kidding couldn't resist>

If I saw something like that I would go into disk utilities and try repairing permissions. Sometimes that little move works wonders.

5. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

which one of these disks should i do, i dont want to mess something up, ive never even seen disk utilities before lol
    Picture 3.png

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Do your main HD not the CD/DVD. I've never heard of a repair permissions doing anything bad (although I guess anything is possible)

Another thing to make sure is that if your Mac is not on all night, that you occasionally run maintenance scripts. If you google "main menu" you can get a free program that will run those scripts for you anytime.

7. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

thanks for the help hope it works. im trying it now

if anyone else has anymore suggestions let me know!!

didnt work :( :( :(

this bullsh*t came back up
    and when i click yes, nothing happens, F- EA
    Picture 1.png

and this is the bullsh*t patch that doesnt work and makes you download over and over, i read somewhere that EA has not even adressed that problem

Attached Files:

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Just a suggestion on repairing permissions- It's usually a good idea to backup before doing a RP.. Sometimes things can get weird.

9. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

aww lol, i already did it, but everything seems fine..

on the spore note, i have checked countless threads through google and mac users all around are having problems. some even say EA didnt even test it on a mac!! i emailed them, and jst waiting now. I suggest that no one buys this game...$50 game for the price of a cheap $10 game.......:mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

The iPhone version is all Ive played but have really been wanting to pick up the Mac version.. Maybe I'll wait to see what you find out.
    So have you even been able to play the game yet?? If not, that really sucks!!

11. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

yea not at all!! it starts and goes to the main menu, shows the 1st cut scene then as soon as its gets to the part where you take over it crashes... here are some youtube vids and threads
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8krOjpudIo
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Spore-Patch-Giving-Headaches-to-Mac-Users-94882.shtml
    http://philnelson.name/2008/09/24/ea-releases-spore-patch-for-mac-that-just-plain-doesnt-work/

theres much more, when it comes down to it, EA didnt make it compatible with mac they made it for pc and tried to do some shortcuts to make it work on a mac when it failed... Apple should have reconsidered all that advertising with EA and spore before they screw us over...

i received a reply with these steps in the photo. and needless to say when i tried those steps spore wouldnt even open ....lol wow... then when i went to restart my computer it froze... then i had to hold the power button. im pretty livid right now.
    Picture 3.png

more ridiculous steps, i have yet to try this set.

Picture 1.png

12. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Ha! "Repair permissions" suggestion once again.

13. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Is ANYONE running Spore on the MacBook here?
    I wanted to check it out but I dont know how wide spread this problem is

14. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

After reading all the threads that i have read on this topic. people have been able to play it on a mac. its like that thing where people only post if they have negative experience, but with that said, i have seen countless people talking about this not working or not working that well on a mac. I got this game brand new off of ebay with a power seller for $23 bucks, thats why im not that pissed, but its ridiculous, cause if i paid $50 for this i would have gotten my money back by now. Do you see all the steps i ave to do just to play a game, its ridiculous. When it comes down to it, get it at your own risk, but if i had known half of these problems be4 i bought it, i wouldnt have bought it

Is there any risk of doing this such as losing all files..etc..?? cause a game is not worth that bull

15. raremage macrumors 6502a

I've had it installed and running on my (previous gen) MBP 15 without issue.

Gonna see if I can find the disk and install on the MB. If I can find it I'll share my results.

16. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I have it on my macbook air (gasp!) on the very lowest settings and it works fine. Shame its such a poor game otherwise i might play it.

17. raremage macrumors 6502a

OK, so found the disk, installed, patched at least twice, then said No tot he next patch. Game loads and runs fine, although I did spin the settings way down just to be aon the safe side.

18. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: what are your specs for your computer

19. raremage macrumors 6502a

This is on the UMB 2.4 w/ 4GB of RAM.

20. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

wow i have the exact same computer...

21. troublesomekila macrumors member

I have the 2.0 Alum. MacBook and I can run it perfectly

22. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

cool good to know, don't plan on playing it, but I like to know what the MB is capable of. thanks

23. raremage macrumors 6502a

What else are you running at the same time?

What apps do you have running in the background? Anything starting up automatically when you login?

24. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

i quit out of every app. and i tried quitting the programs that they told me to, and that time it didnt even start (the game didnt)

25. raremage macrumors 6502a

Can you run any other games that have 3D components?