Spore install fun

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by edblor, May 14, 2009.

1. edblor macrumors regular

Yippee, I bought Spore for the fun interactive game it is, and stayed for the EA install goodness:rolleyes:

I finally bought Spore. It's the MAC/PC DVD combo (not sure if it has always been this way) regular version (not Galactic).

I partially bought this for my 5 year-old as it looked like a cute game, and I've liked Will Wright games of yore.

Anyway, I knew of the DRM restrictions, but figured I'd be using 2 installs at most on my 2.4GHz MBP (Mac OS X and Windows 7 boot camp).

The install in MAC OS X seemed to go fine until it needed to patch. The patch seemed to hang at 90% or so for what seemed like forever. I thought it stalled so I force quit. After a reboot, it still needed to patch, but would fail every time, and required a re-install. Arrgghh! I did this 4 times.

At various times during these 4 installs, I would try to launch the game (not during a patch procedure, or the actual install), just to show my ever-so-patient 5 year old what the game was. I was never able to play as once the game loaded, I could not see my little cell. A Google search led to 1 other person with this issue, but no solution:(

I Boot Camped over to Windows 7, and installed. It seemed to go smoothly, but EA's lovely Download Manager got in the way once the install was done. It said no updates were found, but now I could not launch the game! Arrrggghh!

I rebooted, and had to run the executable from the Spore folder as the icon in my Start Menu was just decorative. No biggie I thought!

Well, it finally launched, slowly, and I was able to briefly play. At this point though, my patient 5 year old had fallen asleep. Keep in mind this is easily 3-hours after I started this whole thing. Luckily the Pens were kicking ass, so the night was not a total loss;)

Anyway, I thought there must have been something more to this MAC OS X install thingy, so I did more Googling, and found that if I leave the installer alone, it might just finish.

I booted back into MAC, deleted the Spore Application folder, again, and re-installed.

Sure enough, 35 minutes later or so at 90%, it finished and found another update. I said YES to update, and it finally worked.

So, 4 hours of installing, and I can finally play:)

The game is interesting, and I can see the potential. I showed my daughter this morning what the game looks like and she is mildly impressed. We'll sit down and play some more this afternoon.

Man though what a joke! I now remember why I mostly play console games. I now know that if I had been a bit more patient with the first install I might have saved myself lots of time, but what a joke the installer is. I was not the only person who thought it had stalled. The Spore forums are loaded with similar complaints. And in fact in some cases, it has stalled. No amount of waiting for the installer works for some peeps.

Anyway, just needed to vent a little. I'm not pissed, but it is silly that in 2009, a publisher cannot get an install to appear to be working (both MAC and PC). Gheesh!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's a sucky experience for sure but don't think all PC/Mac games are like that. I only buy games from Steam now and there is no install procedure.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Never had any problems with SPORE on PC or MAC side.

4. edblor thread starter macrumors regular

The last few PC games I bought were all through Steam and the install/download went flawless. Steam, when not down for maintenance, is great!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Repair permissions in osx.

BTW, in osx, you don't need to wait around for some app to update. The install can happen in the background.
    If you wanted to show someone something, go to the web and see the demo / trailer videos.

6. edblor thread starter macrumors regular

I know I can continue to use my laptop, my issue was the install went fine, and the update seemed to stall.

As for this trailer thing you mentioned, I'm not interested in truck videos, but thanks:p

7. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I bought at launch and Spore corrupted every time there was a patch (really EA, iPatch, the patcher of choice for no-cd Cracks). Each time I had to reinstall and use another activation. Came time I wanted to install it on my MBP (which has a better graphics card) I was out of activations.

Reason I needed to isntall it on my MBP was Patch 3 breaks Spore so that it runs like a slideshow on my iMac (Radeon 1600) even on low. Prior to patch 3 it will run fine. I've verified this by reinstalling it and going through the patches. Support has been non responsive. Between getting boned on CnC3 (no release of Kane's Wrath) and Spore being nearly unplayable due to bugs and install woes I'm really really getting fed up with EA half assing their Mac releases. Farm the work back out to Aspyr.

Spore is damn fun once you can get it running though.

Still given my experiences with it I won't be buying any additional add ons for it, and frankly I mostly play Civilization Revolution on the big screen in my comfie rocker. Great game.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So guys, is Spore the bestest game ever, or just a flash in the pan? The more I thought about it, the less appealing it became to me, at least how I imagined it to be, never played it. :)

9. edblor thread starter macrumors regular

It's fun, honestly. I'm still in the beginning stages though, and I read from reviews it gets even better when you get more control over your spore.

The graphics are good, the sound is nice. The controls are a tad mushy, but I'll get used to them.