Sport Screen already scratched?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SCMedic, Apr 26, 2015.

1. SCMedic macrumors regular

My wife has had hers on for all of 24 hours and the screen is already scratched. She's beside herself and honestly, I'm a little surprised. She's worn it with short sleeves, no other jewelry and it seems to be scratching around the curved sides of the screen. Anyone else? What should I do?

2. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

No one has scratched the sport screen at all? Maybe a manufacturing defect then?

3. ricktat macrumors 65816

Just wait until next week when more people get theirs.
    Pics would also help

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Someone has to be the first. I would schedule a genius appt and see what they say, the might be nice and give replacement.

5. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Like they says.... pics or it never happened. LOL.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

There are a few others that have reported a scratch or nick.

The non-sapphire crystal will scratch.

7. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

8. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Ouch.

9. Absrnd macrumors 6502

Absrnd

Those are some serious deep scratches, can't imagine not noticing bumping into something to create these scratches !

these are clear bump damage scratches and not because of the soft quality material, but rather a tough wall or something :)

10. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

That's my point. She swears up and down she didn't notice it bumping into anything. It would take a LOT of force to make those happen. Just trying to decide on my next course of action, if there is one.

11. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

This. It looks like she bumped her arm against a sharp metal corner or something similar.

I am assuming you tried and failed to buff it out? Often these screens can get what look like scratches, but are really just dust from whatever item you bumped against, and it will fairly easily buff out.

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

sell it and order a sapphire? Consumer reports could scratch the sport with a construction nail. They used a near diamond hardness bit on the sapphire and couldn't scratch it.

13. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

My wife has a real talent for scratching her iPhones and iPads, so sympathies.

The glass on the Sport is pretty hard, and similar to the glass used in high-end Casios meant for outdoor activity usage. And my high-end Casio Pathfinder has a bunch of small and not-so-small scratches after several years of daily use.

Shrug. It happens. Battle scars.

Not much force is required. All it takes is a bit of grit at the wrong time.

Sapphire will be more difficult to scratch but it will scratch, too.

It's a watch. Watches scratch. Sometimes I think crappy plastic crystals are the way to go: they scratch like crazy but are easy to polish.

I hope your wife feels better about this as the days go on. Enjoy the functionality!

14. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the voice of reason. Was kind of how I'm feeling, but hard to tell her that her shiny new super cool watch is just going to get more nicked up. lol

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I have an extremely small and tiny scruff that might be a scratch in the oleo phobic coating, rather than the glass, from hitting a shelf in a narrow Asian grocery store.

As long as it doesn't shatter that's what matters. It's a watch, it will get scuffed over time.

16. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

scratched mine already, I think it may have been a zipper cause I had no memorable moment where my arm even brushed against something. I have been beyond anal about being careful and have even kept it tucked under my long sleeves right now.

and on the zipper point, my jacket on day one was button up not zipper and I usually don't go wrist deep in the zipper of my pants when i go peepee

i expect a watch to get scratched but not just from the abrasiveness of my underarmour thermals.

17. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

18. Che Castro macrumors 603

I ordered a armorsuit screen protector from Amazon $6
    I'll see how that goes when I get it

19. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

It's not always about force applied, but also surface hardness of an external object versus surface hardness of the IonX glass.

20. SCMedic thread starter macrumors regular

True.

21. jjlannoo Suspended

I would never buy a non sapphire watch. It's asking for scratches. Outside of falls watches take Waayy more accidental Knocks then phones.

22. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Same i was going to buy the Apple Sports watch but then i realized how strong the SS version is, so i ordered the SS with a white sports band.

23. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

That kids seems like an idiot, my sport still has no scratches anywhere.

24. mbushnell macrumors member

Take it to an Apple Store. Apple is extremely interested in real world damage on new products, so they might exchange it for you so they can take it and analyze it.

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Damn! That is quite deep! The problem with watches, is you always bump them. Does Apple replace the screens?