Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipadfreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Getting an Apple Watch, just trying to decide between Sport or the Stainless with milanese loop.

Another option I thought of was to buy the sport, then just buy the milanese band to swap out on my black sport.

Any thoughts?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
For the Sport + Milanese combo, some folks have noted the possibility of galvanic corrosion as the dissimilar metals interact in the presence of moisture from sweat or other sources.

Others object to the different (shiny vs matte) finishes of the watch vs. the Milanese Loop material. Of course, there's nothing wrong with contrast, but some prefer a consistent look.

The shiny SS of the Watch is polish-able, meaning it will be easier to keep looking new. And polishing will be necessary, as SS does scratch. Whether the Space Gray Watch is polishable is an open question. The Sport watches are not polishable, and although the anodized finish is tough it will scratch. And of course the Sport's ion-hardened glass is not quite as tough as the Watch's sapphire. But both are crackable on impact-- as is any watch crystal.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
It's purely aesthetic, I originally ordered a sport but when I saw it in pic and then in person at the Apple Store it looked like a toy/cheaper gadget, the stainless looked like a nice timepiece with a leather or Milanese band. Also the sapphire is nice to not worry about scratches

The sport with a Milanese loop would look pretty odd

Medicman67

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
Get the watch. It looks and feels like a watch. The sport is like everyone said almost toyish #

rnangie

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Get the watch. It looks and feels like a watch. The sport is like everyone said almost toyish #

Well, not everyone is saying that. I like the sport and don't think it looks cheap or toylike. The best way to decide is to try one on for yourself.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
I had the space gray sport and "upgraded" to the stainless steel. I regret it

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The Sport looks and feels inexpensive. It's fine, as it is the same OS as the Apple Watch.

I love the watch so far, but, as expected, I definitely miss my Citizen for overall feel and style.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Getting an Apple Watch, just trying to decide between Sport or the Stainless with milanese loop.

Another option I thought of was to buy the sport, then just buy the milanese band to swap out on my black sport.

Any thoughts?

I'm returning the Milanese Loop I got for my SS for a Sport band (still waiting on shipment) because:

1. It's not comfortable enough to use as a daily band
2. The edges keep snagging my arm hairs (I'm not that hairy)
3. The magnet part of the loop gets scratched very easily.

Forgot to mention if you're not careful when you put your watch on the loop may rub against the watch casing and cause scratches. I'm going to buff out the scratches my SS has after I replace the band.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It really depends on how you use/wear your watch. A lot of us work in an environment where the watch just straight up looks better. I wear a suit to work at least twice a week, and the watch is a fashion accessory as well as a smart watch.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Well, not everyone is saying that. I like the sport and don't think it looks cheap or toylike. The best way to decide is to try one on for yourself.

The best thing is what you said, go to an Apple Store and you'll see the Apple watch next to the sport model, in my opinion the sport looks like a toy gadget by comparison, especially the space grey

Danny80y

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Have had both and disagree with the toy like comments... The sport is a great watch but as the title says its light and built for sport! The watch version has that premium feel and deff is more suited to the nicer bands.

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
I ordered the SG Sport (which was delivered on 4/24) and a SS (still processing). I wanted to see which one I like and then send the other back. But I really like the Sport. It doesn't feel cheap to me and I put a screen protector on it, which I can't even tell is on there. I may end up canceling the SS. The SG Sport just looks and feels awesome. I did try the SS in the Apple Store and was not impressed.

But it all comes down to how you feel personally. No one can tell you want you want.

I am happy with the Sport and knowing that I will have extra money when Gen 2 comes out.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The best thing is what you said, go to an Apple Store and you'll see the Apple watch next to the sport model, in my opinion the sport looks like a toy gadget by comparison, especially the space grey

It does, but for the average user, it is perfectly fine for everyday use. I plan to wear it to work every day.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I think it depends on the person and their daily attire. The SG sport is nice and comfortable. Very stealthy looking. The SS is also very nice. You can tell it has a premium feel to it. I'm sure your daily occupation has to do with it. I work in the office and do require to go out in the field for the job site. I can probably get away with both since jeans are part of my attire. Both are nice, and it's all about personal YOUR taste. I don't you can go wrong with an apple product. :D

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013

Any thoughts?

I had both the AW and the AWS for a couple of days. The Sport is not cheap, nor toy-like. That's entirely subjective. I'd suggest going in & trying them out for yourself. But do yourself a favor and don't go in with preset "binaries" (cheap vs classy, toy-like vs. professional, etc.) or that's all you'll focus on and you'll miss your own unfiltered impressions. Ultimately I went w the SS version purely for aesthetic/tactile preference, but I was 50/50 before deciding.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL

Any thoughts?

I would go with the SS. I believe we are going to see a bunch of badly scratched Sport Models in 6 months. The way the screen domes out is just begging for people to scrape it against walls, doors and floors!

:(

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
For the Sport + Milanese combo, some folks have noted the possibility of galvanic corrosion as the dissimilar metals interact in the presence of moisture from sweat or other sources.

Others object to the different (shiny vs matte) finishes of the watch vs. the Milanese Loop material. Of course, there's nothing wrong with contrast, but some prefer a consistent look.

The shiny SS of the Watch is polish-able, meaning it will be easier to keep looking new. And polishing will be necessary, as SS does scratch. Whether the Space Gray Watch is polishable is an open question. The Sport watches are not polishable, and although the anodized finish is tough it will scratch. And of course the Sport's ion-hardened glass is not quite as tough as the Watch's sapphire. But both are crackable on impact-- as is any watch crystal.
Whoops I read that wrong. i agree the sport plus the milanese is kinda not very good looking IMO. The milanese tugs at my arm hairs somedays. Today I have not had a problem. However, somedays it can be downright annoying. If you like BIG HUGE watch faces then you are better off with a traditional watch style. I think those are gaudy and flashy without much benefit stylistically speaking and are more about showing off how much money you have and don't provide much in the way of function. The Apple Watch really does a good job of keeping you from looking at your phone all day which can be rude.

Last edited:

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Depends on how much you can spend on the Watch.. Sport looks more like a regular fitness band IMO. SS looks more like a real watch with emphasis on premium materials. I guess that people that are not used wearing watches (or real/jewelry watches) will find Sport edition ok.

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Depends on how much you can spend on the Watch.. Sport looks more like a regular fitness band IMO. SS looks more like a real watch with emphasis on premium materials. I guess that people that are not used wearing watches (or real/jewelry watches) will find Sport edition ok.

Or, y'know, your preference.

I bought a Sport and went to check out the SS before it arrived. The SS is nice, but I found the Sport nice as well. It was not a matter of cost to me. As many have said, it's a gen-one device and honestly none of us know how these things are going to hold up. We are the guinea pigs that others will learn from. I don't wear a suit to work so that wasn't a concern to me. To be fair, I'm not into jewelry and haven't worn a watch in years. Whatever floats your boat.

Go to the store and see what you like. I've had mine a week and it's still spotless. Who knows what any of these are going to look like in six months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.