Sports teams you root against, and why

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Jan 12, 2016.

?

Do you root against any teams?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2016.
  1. Yes

87.0%
  2. No

4.3%
  3. I only root for my own team and I don't care how other teams do!

8.7%
  1. 63dot, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

For myself, I have two rules for rooting against a team. For me, they usually have to be in same division or conference, but additionally they have to be one of the better teams in the sport at the time. I find no purpose in rooting against a team if they are clearly no threat.

Currently the teams I root against most, and fear but respect most, are the Los Angeles Dodgers in baseball and the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL. Also being a Warriors (36-2) fan, I will keep a keen on on Western Conference San Antonio Spurs this year. While all the national attention is on Steph Curry and the Warriors and records they are breaking right and left, the Spurs remain just under the radar with only six losses so far this season which would on any other year be noteworthy near the halfway point.

As for the Los Angeles Dodgers, they have the best and most consistent pitcher in baseball in Clayton Kershaw who went 1.83, 1.77, and 2.13 in the last three years on a team that captured the NL West with 92 or better on wins in that time period. Zack Greinke was a very dangerous #2 pitcher for them and should have won the Cy Young this year to add to Kershaw's wins. Of course I want my SF Giants to win the division for the first time since 2012, but if we don't I certainly don't want LA to win it for their unprecedented fourth time in row. It hurts that we are in same division as the most talented team in the NL, but that we are also in the same state making the rivalry represent the two most high profile cities here. It's great that baseball's current dynasty is the San Francisco Giants, but it's not good that the Los Angeles Dodgers have consistently been a better team on any given day and had captured the NL West an additional two times in a row before SF began their recent dynasty. No matter how good the Giants are doing and how bright the postseason looks, the Dodgers are always there to rain on our parade.

As for the Seattle Seahawks, they won the Super Bowl two years ago, won the NFC Championship last year, and are still in it for this current NFL postseason. That's three straight trips to the postseason plus a wildcard trip before that making four straight postseason showings. They are certainly, on every level, better than my SF 49ers, especially now that the 49ers are in rebuilding mode and not in any contention to get back to postseason anytime soon. Whether the dislike is because one of the best quarterbacks in the game in the smart Russell Wilson is hard to contain for us, or the trash talking of Richard Sherman most directed at San Francisco, the Seahawks are the easiest team the 49ers can find to hate. It's also no fun trying to contain Beast Mode. The youth of the Seahawks makes it likely that they can make another four trips to postseason before their core is done for and it wouldn't be unlikely to see them capture two more Lombardi trophies and be considered a real NFL dynasty. It's not inconceivable that they can win three Super Bowls in a decade like the Patriots during 2001-2004 and the Cowboys during 1992-1995. It's bad enough to be inferior to your division rivals as mentioned against the talented Los Angeles Dodgers, but it's undeniably disgusting to be the bitch and whipping post for the sport's next dynasty who happens to enjoy beating you. Nothing would please me more to end up with either Beast Mode, Russell Wilson, or Richard Sherman donning a 49ers uniform one day and contributing to our next San Francisco Super Bowl win. We did take division rival player Deion Sanders for a year and he was a key ingredient in our ultimately successful 1994 49ers season.

All that being said, if the 49ers were at the top of the NFC West with no true rivals, or the San Francisco Giants ruled the NL West with no true rivals, then I wouldn't root against anybody. I could put all my undivided attention to rooting for my team and not pay attention to anybody else. It's tiring to have to follow the Seahawks or the Dodgers and hope they lose their games. There's only so much time in a day and I just want to know my own team even better and relish in their victories and forget about the rest. For a team at least, focusing on just winning leads to championships and it doesn't hurt if the fans are on the same page. If anybody is busy rooting against a team or hating them, then a loss against them usually carries over into other games against other opponents. You have to always be in the present and take care of your own house.

2. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I have plenty of teams I root against! :D And no rule as to why. Basically, if there is no team involved I root for, that may change very well during the match just as well - I find rooting for / against makes it way more interesting and fun. I don't take professional sports that serious though although I follow it quite closely.

Teams I root for are basically Hertha BSC Berlin because I'm from Berlin,
    FC Barcelona because they play consistently the most beautiful football since I was born and because I lived there some time.
    Borussia Dortmund because all the older friends of mine and their parents were rooting for them when I was a kid.

3. 63dot, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I don't follow football clubs, but I knew David Beckham was "something" in his day because I heard more people saying they rooted against a team because he was on it. I figured the man must have been a major threat back then. Bend it like Beckham!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b

4. easheer macrumors regular

easheer

I'm a Yankees fan, so naturally, Red Sox. Hate them.

Many, many others I root against, some without reason, just don't like the teams.

NFL: Steelers, Cowboys
    NCAA BB: Duke, Kentucky

5. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

lol, sorry I thought this was about rooting in general, not only rooting against.

Well Beckham in his prime sure could kick - but I guess it was probably more because he became one of those merchandise muppets and had a seemingly omnipresent relationship with Victoria Beckham (Spice Girls). Also, most of the clubs he played for (Madrid, Paris, AC Milan) are more of the love it or hate it kind.

6. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

7. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

That had to hurt.

The SF Giants, after failing in both the 1962 and devastating earthquake plagued 1989 World Series, looked like a team that would never see a World Series Championship while in San Francisco. Maybe the Giants dominance and titles only belonged in New York where they won it all five times. In 1992, we almost moved to Tampa Bay but thank God we didn't. It was a slow climb up from depression with acquisition of Barry Bonds, leadership of manager Dusty Baker, and finally the freakishness of Tim Lincecum. It took almost two decades after we decided to stay here, but it paid off big, and then almost all at once.

8. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Oh, it's brutal. I like basketball much more than football. I just can't be bothered to care about the NBA at all though. I watched the Suns a bit after the Sonics were stolen but eh, it just wasn't the same.

Least there is still baseball, even if the Ms suck it is the ultimate sport for nerds like me.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I hate the Dallas Cowboys. With a passion. Absolutely no reason. I just do not like them.

Atlanta Falcons. Dirty birds. They are the arch rivals of the New Orleans Saints - my team.

10. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Los Angeles Dodgers
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Dallas Cowboys
    Duke Blue Devils
    USC Trojans
    Manchester City FC
    Liverpool FC

11. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I think you guys stealing Nori Aoki from us will not only help you, but hurt us. He may not be the next Ichiro, but can still come close.

The best we could do to replace our consistently best BA batter was to get Denard Span, but somehow I don't think he could hold the best ERA for us. Losing Aoki could ultimately mean we don't get to the postseason, even if new pitchers Cueto and Samadzija. The Giants lose games where their pitching is much better than the opponent, but then be unable to hit well. Our hitting lets us down way too much.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I may have sung stand up if you hate the Arsenal on the odd occasion.
    Mostly I just support my own team, but I prefer the big spending clubs to be beaten by the smaller, poorer clubs.

13. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Eh, the one thing I am optimistic about: we retained Edgar Martinez as hitting coach. Our hitting noticeably improved last year after he took over as hitting coach. Plus it's Edgar freaking Martinez, he's probably the second biggest name in Ms fandom after Griffey.

We actually have some hitters now though between Cano, Cruz, and Aoki. I'm cautiously optimistic...just like I am every year. At least with baseball I can still count on 60 wins even in horrible seasons, heh

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Any and every team from Boston, or surrounding areas.

I'm a New Yorker, so the hatred is in my blood! ;)

Also, I'm a Manchester City fan (even before their "partnership" with the Yanks) so F*** Man U.

15. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Well the only clubs I actively root against ar Milan (Belusconi club, lived in Milan and everybody sane was/is rooting for Inter), Real Madrid, Man United and Bayer München.

It's funny watching myself having confused emotions when those play against each other (I do watch those matches mostly regardless).

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Years ago, many. Pretty much only into football these days and as a Jets fan, I loathe New England and Miami. Buffalo, not so much as I guess I have a soft spot as I went to school up there.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I used to be guilty of this, but now the Red Wings are in the Eastern conference.

18. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Not exactly a Citizen, but agreed on Man U. Excited about Pep, Mo? Will work wonders at City imo.

19. puma1552 macrumors 601

The packers, because im from minnesota. 'nuff said.

i generally hate any team in any sport that is a perennial winner, how ****ing boring does that get.

"Oh look the Giants are in the World Series again."

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Let the Cubs win one.. then **** 'em. :p

BL.

22. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Every Chi team? I haven't followed those since eons but loved the Bulls because of pippen alone. MJ did help there too.

Never been into baseball, but got an A's cap as a gift by my older cousin, who I never could read if meant sarcastic or not, when caps were a huge thing in school back then but nobody really had a clue about the teams lol. Never wore it but guess I'd root for them now some twenty years later.

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I also don't give a crap about the Blues, Rams, or for that matter, the Cardinals.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Okay.. have to come clean here. While I don't like gridiron anymore (to be honest, too much of a pansy sport.. padding and all), I will admit that I have a huge love/hate relationship with the Nebraska Cornhuskers and Oklahoma Sooners college gridiron teams, though it has absolutely nothing to do with those teams' playing abilities. I suppose you could also throw the Texas Longhorns into this mix as well.

All of my extended family (save my great-grandparents) were born and raised in Oklahoma. Roughly 20 miles north of the Oklahoma/Texas border. Some of them even moved to the closest town on the Texas side of the border. I'm the only one that wasn't, as I was born and raised in Nebraska.

The problem here is that the official state religion in all three of the states is College Football, and that there is no love lost between either of these three teams. Cornhuskers despise the Sooners with a passion; Sooners despise the Huskers with a passion, and Texas despises both of them.

So imagine every Saturday at 1:30pm in the afternoon, when one of these teams is playing the other. It's about as brutal as it can be, short of a fight breaking out at a soccer match. And generally one of those games is played over Thanksgiving, when all of my family is together.

I started to like gridiron when I was 6. I grew out of that by age 8.

BL.

25. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

Being a Michigan Wolverine fan I always root against blank Ohio State Buckeyes. :)
    Even though I'm a strong Tigers fan, I don't really root against any other team for I'm more concerned in how the Tigers are playing.