Sports Watch (the cheapest model) has the best display!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Piggie, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

According to this article about how Sapphire whilst more scratch resistant, apparently:

"The higher-end Watch's sapphire reflects almost twice as much light and washes out the picture in very bright conditions."

News Story:
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/27/apple-watch-display-comparison/

Main detailed article on the subject:
    http://www.displaymate.com/Apple_Watch_ShootOut_1.htm

Interesting huh?
    Funny how these things turn out that the clearest display is the one on the cheapest model.... Good news for most people then it seems :D

2. VAGolfer macrumors newbie

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I haven't noticed any issues using it outside. I have the stainless steel. Interesting to know, though.

4. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, it won't be possible to judge with just one watch.

I think we need to get people to do some tests, and take photo's perhaps also, in different lighting conditions, of both a Sports Watch and a Stainless Watch side by side for comparison testing.

Be good to know for those who have not yet placed their orders and are as yet undecided. Especially if they are people who are out and about all day long as opposed to say in the office, also runners too in sunlight.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Interesting read, in general. It looks like Apple could improve the power efficiency by reducing the blue point. There may also be an enhanced sapphire available in time for the next Apple Watch that will help reflectiveness, as well.

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I placed my order based on scratch resistance. The display without scratches is the best for my needs.

This is a non issue compared to not having matte screens on Apple products , basically if it's a sunny day, good luck with an apple display .

7. thadoggfather, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

8. JohnApples macrumors 65816

9. spampy22 macrumors member

10. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

this makes me question implementation of sapphire in the 6S/6S+ now a bit.

between this and SS scratching easily for some, and being more costly, sport is quickly becoming the no brainer if I were to dabble.

11. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

12. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

I think the Sapphire is more desireable for a fashion object - it looks better the way it reflects light and "sparkles". The Sport model seems to be the much more utilitarian / geeky model...

Hopefully with the space grey sport and some fancy bands, we can find a middle ground. I don't think anything's going to replace the flash of the SS w/ sapphire display, however.

13. mpike78 macrumors regular

I looked at both over the weekend at my local apple store and i have to say side by side indoors with flour light the sport did look alot sharper than the ss even the rep agreed with me.

14. antipex macrumors member

antipex

Perhaps it's true that the display technically looks better on the Sport, but I find my SS's display to be absolutely gorgeous. I'm amazed by how well it works outside in sunny conditions.

15. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

the SG does look nice!

16. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I'll take my sapphire display, thanks. I've worn enough watches to understand that this is a must.

17. Eeko macrumors regular

This. My GF's sport watch already has a few scratches.

18. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, I guess it depends on how much you think you will scratch it.

I've had, and still have watches with a plastic front, and never had any real issues

19. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Too early to make that call. The underlying report clearly states that "we did not test [the Sport] model," just the iPhone 6. Their assumption is that the iPhone 6 glass and Sport watch glass behave in the exact same way...which they may, or may not.

20. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

I got the Sport Watch....cant see myself spending +$600 on this to be honest...

I'd rather have the display a tad worse than having a screen full of hair line scratches though after a month...

21. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Yeah but when your display is all scratched up, you can't see anything.

ooooooooh, see what I did there! :p : <3 Sapphire

22. corlando465 macrumors member

I agree completely! I really like the AW but very glad that I didn't spend the money for the SS version. I may go for more expensive version on the next round but for now the AW sport is perfect for me.

23. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Shots fired.

24. Wishbrah macrumors regular

Ion X is least reflective when in direct sunlight? That's it? I'd gladly take the durability of sapphire, thanks!

25. ventmore macrumors 6502

I chose to buy the sport model. I could've easily bought the SS model, but I liked the look of the sport, and also figured I may end up upgrading next year.

I'm completely happy with my purchase, but if anyone is trying to justify buying the sport by saying that sapphire is more reflective, just remember this. If the iPhone is anything to go by......the sapphire may be more reflective...but the sport is going to look worse in direct sunlight, as the sun is going to show up all those tiny hairline scratches.