Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify will soon launch a "don't play this artist" feature in its iOS app, which will allow subscribers to block an entire artist from playing across the app (via The Verge). This means that you won't hear their songs in your library, Spotify playlists, chart lists, and radio stations.

spotify-3-800x450.jpg

The feature is in testing right now, and it currently works on the artist's own songs but does not extend to collaborations. The feature is found in the ellipsis menu on an artist's page, and will sit alongside options like Follow, Share, and Go to radio.

A specific release date for the launch of the block feature has not yet been announced, but during its test of the update Spotify told The Verge it would be coming "soon." Artist and song blocking is a feature that many users have been asking for in both Spotify and Apple Music, and so far Apple has not yet announced a similar update for its streaming music service.

Article Link: Spotify Adding Feature That Lets You Block Artists From Playlists, Radio Stations, and More

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Why the HELL won't Apple do this? Their 'smart' and recommended playlists are full of hate. No matter how much I dislike a genre or artist it STILL appears in my new music mix.

While they are at it, I need a playlist that will give me new tracks from artists I added to my library..... like Spotify. I think I need to switch back..

WAIT!!

These features are coming in the Apple Music 2019 upgrade. ....they are only charging a premium tier of $9.99 extra a month for this feature.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Why the HELL won't Apple do this? Their 'smart' and recommended playlists are full of hate. No matter how much I dislike a genre or artist it STILL appears in my new music mix.

While they are at it, I need a playlist that will give me new tracks from artists I added to my library..... like Spotify. I think I need to switch back..

WAIT!!

These features are coming in the Apple Music 2019 upgrade. ....they are only charging a premium tier of $9.99 extra a month for this feature.

Why haven't you switched back? I tried Apple Music's free trial for about 3 hours before getting fed up with how inferior it was to Spotify and switched right back.

I expect this feature is mainly going to be used to block major artists, which will result in a drop in their revenue and maybe them choosing to retaliate by pulling off of Spotify entirely. Then people who like the artist will switch services...

We'll see what happens.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
This is wonderful! Everyone needs the ability to avoid music that sucks.

For ***** sake, Apple, when I tell Siri to Never play a song or artist again, I damn well mean it!

Reactions: JackANSI

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Help me understand something: for years, until today*, Spotify didn’t have this feature, now people are furious that Apple Music doesn’t have it?

Don’t get me wrong; I’d like this feature, too. Or even just a “Block Maroon 5” rule; no configuration, just a rule dedicated to banishing that one band.

* And only in beta, at that.

Reactions: Totemsflare

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I can't stand how Spotify plays music completely irrelevant to the genre. I.E. Listening to classical music and they start playing a rap song. What?!

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
This would be handy for blocking country music, but fortunately Apple Music is wise enough never to offer me that kind of music.

LOL, there happened to be a couple country songs in an Apple curated christmas playlist that we played this past season and now I can't escape constant "Because you listen to country music" recommendations in the "For You" section.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
I'd be interested if Apple implemented this. "Hey Siri, block all R&B from Beats 1."

*static plays when turning on radio*

Where does this myth come from? Only turning it on at 4 pm every day? Cuz The 1975 is on right now, instantly defeating the hyperbole.

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502
I'd be interested if Apple implemented this. "Hey Siri, block all R&B from Beats 1."

*static plays when turning on radio*

Once upon a time , people kept their own music collections, funny thing about that was the owner controlled what was on their device. If only there was a place to keep music that you own on these new-fangled phones. Then you wouldn't have to deal with streaming playlists from the depths of hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.