Spotify Adding Feature That Lets You Block Artists From Playlists, Radio Stations, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 21, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Spotify will soon launch a "don't play this artist" feature in its iOS app, which will allow subscribers to block an entire artist from playing across the app (via The Verge). This means that you won't hear their songs in your library, Spotify playlists, chart lists, and radio stations.

[​IMG]

The feature is in testing right now, and it currently works on the artist's own songs but does not extend to collaborations. The feature is found in the ellipsis menu on an artist's page, and will sit alongside options like Follow, Share, and Go to radio.

A specific release date for the launch of the block feature has not yet been announced, but during its test of the update Spotify told The Verge it would be coming "soon." Artist and song blocking is a feature that many users have been asking for in both Spotify and Apple Music, and so far Apple has not yet announced a similar update for its streaming music service.

Article Link: Spotify Adding Feature That Lets You Block Artists From Playlists, Radio Stations, and More

2. kstotlani macrumors 6502a

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I'd be interested if Apple implemented this. "Hey Siri, block all R&B from Beats 1."

*static plays when turning on radio*

4. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I've used this before but it's good to see this feature being added everywhere.

5. AlumaMac macrumors regular

AlumaMac

I wish Apple Music would implement this considering as much as I tell them I 'dislike' a suggested artist they keep recommending them.

6. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

This is game changing. I like this idea a lot. If Apple Music doesn’t implement this I miiiiiiiiiiight just switch to Spotify

7. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors 6502

H.E. Pennypacker

How about offline playback on the Apple Watch Spotify? I’m heavily considering switching to Apple Music because this isn’t a priority.

8. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

Why the HELL won't Apple do this? Their 'smart' and recommended playlists are full of hate. No matter how much I dislike a genre or artist it STILL appears in my new music mix.

While they are at it, I need a playlist that will give me new tracks from artists I added to my library..... like Spotify. I think I need to switch back..

WAIT!!

These features are coming in the Apple Music 2019 upgrade. ....they are only charging a premium tier of $9.99 extra a month for this feature.

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Why haven't you switched back? I tried Apple Music's free trial for about 3 hours before getting fed up with how inferior it was to Spotify and switched right back.

I expect this feature is mainly going to be used to block major artists, which will result in a drop in their revenue and maybe them choosing to retaliate by pulling off of Spotify entirely. Then people who like the artist will switch services...

We'll see what happens.

10. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Every top 40 artist would end up in my blocked list starting with Justin Bieber.

11. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

12. jardinager macrumors regular

jardinager

This is wonderful! Everyone needs the ability to avoid music that sucks.

For ***** sake, Apple, when I tell Siri to Never play a song or artist again, I damn well mean it!

13. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

Help me understand something: for years, until today*, Spotify didn’t have this feature, now people are furious that Apple Music doesn’t have it?

Don’t get me wrong; I’d like this feature, too. Or even just a “Block Maroon 5” rule; no configuration, just a rule dedicated to banishing that one band.

* And only in beta, at that.

14. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

15. lunarworks macrumors 65816

This would be handy for blocking country music, but fortunately Apple Music is wise enough never to offer me that kind of music.

16. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

I can't stand how Spotify plays music completely irrelevant to the genre. I.E. Listening to classical music and they start playing a rap song. What?!

17. AlumaMac macrumors regular

AlumaMac

LOL, there happened to be a couple country songs in an Apple curated christmas playlist that we played this past season and now I can't escape constant "Because you listen to country music" recommendations in the "For You" section.

18. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

Is Apple Music still under development? There’s a huge list of extremely basic things they need to fix that have been outstanding for years.

19. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

Where does this myth come from? Only turning it on at 4 pm every day? Cuz The 1975 is on right now, instantly defeating the hyperbole.

20. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I'd bet that was the impetus. Although no one will admit it. :p

21. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

Once upon a time , people kept their own music collections, funny thing about that was the owner controlled what was on their device. If only there was a place to keep music that you own on these new-fangled phones. Then you wouldn't have to deal with streaming playlists from the depths of hell.

22. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Please don't spoil the joke. But do tip the waitstaff. They work hard.

23. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I've been thinking the same thing about Serbian Neo-Folk but Apple has also been wise enough not to offer that to me. :rolleyes:

24. FaustsHausUK macrumors regular

FaustsHausUK

I buy all the music I listen to, so this has never been - and will never be - a problem. ✌️

25. Mayostudent macrumors newbie

My vinyl collection very rarely plays something I didn’t choose.