Spotify and Hulu Team Up to Offer Students a $5/Month Combo Subscription Plan

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Streaming companies Spotify and Hulu today announced a new partnership that will allow eligible students to sign up for Spotify Premium for Students at its normal $4.99/month price tag, and gain access to Hulu's Limited Commercials plan at no extra charge. In Hulu's press release, the company said that the offer streamlines two popular services commonly used by busy students into a single subscription plan.

[​IMG]

The bundle is available to all qualifying new and existing Spotify student subscribers, immediately offering access to both Spotify Premium's music streaming service and Hulu's basic Limited Commercial, TV-streaming package. Users will also continue to use Spotify and Hulu through each brands' respective apps.
    According to Hulu, "this is the first step" that each company is taking to bundle their services together, and in the future similar bundles will be targeted "at the broader market" beyond college students. Find out more information on user eligibility for Spotify's student membership right here.

Article Link: Spotify and Hulu Team Up to Offer Students a $5/Month Combo Subscription Plan

2. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

As someone who already has Spotify Student, this is exciting news.

3. pika2000 macrumors 601

Wish they did this when I was a student.

4. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Damn. That's a pretty sweet deal. Especially for the typical student budget.

5. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Wow. That's a good price. Even I'm deaf I'll take that deal.

6. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

Then as of September 12, if any of them also have a T-Mobile One Family Plan, they'll be getting free Netflix, too.

7. tom5304 macrumors regular

I'm already in with Spotify Student Premium, but I'd rather pay $12 per month for ad-free Hulu than take advantage of this "Limited Commercials" bundle. The ads seem unlimited when you're watching them.

I'm done with ads. Cord cutting is the opening move. Ad-free is advanced-level.

8. joueboy macrumors 65816

What I don't understand about student discount is that my kids as a high school students they don't get a freakin discount. They don't make money a discount would help parents a little bit. :D

9. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

I never really see the point in paying for a streaming music service. is it really that much better. The radio has 4 minutes of commercials and is horrible quality. Spotify or whatever free version with one 30 second add every 30 minutes Is nothing bad.
    I still rather like Soundcloud over anything especially the skipping through the songs on the free versions also. Small ads here and there I can live with.

10. WJRush2000 macrumors newbie

WJRush2000

11. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

This precedes the coming fragmentation of the streaming services.

12. Cronowerx Suspended

Why can't Apple Music get a combo deal? I want to save some shekels!

13. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Hulu would rather you pay $12 per month for ad-free too. Hulu would rather everyon pay $12 per month for ad-free. However, they realize a significant portion of students can't afford that option. They rationalize that it's better to get a customer on their lowest tier than have no customer at all. All the while hoping that the student will eventually be able to afford a higher tier.

No matter how you look at it, this is a great deal for a lot of students.

14. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Have them get a job?

15. busuan macrumors member

Students have so much time watching TV? Yes, they always do, no matter what.

16. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Eh. They got me to sign up when it was $1 for 3 months one New Years Eve. Then I never cancelled. Then I upgraded to a family plan. I don't feel like going back to free. $15/month that's automatically withdrawn feels like nothing. It'd take effort to cancel and then I'd be subjected to all those ads. Not worth it to only get paid $15/month to be subjected to ads.

17. DaPizzaMan macrumors regular

If they have a .edu email address then this applies to them.

18. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

+1

Actually, I wish streaming services were around when I was a student.

19. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

They totally should, and I think they will. Not to compete against this, but really to compete against Amazon Prime.

20. yanksfan114 macrumors 6502

Because high school is free but college isn’t.

21. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

For students that 15$ a month can be going better things. I understand if you have a comfortable living that's nothing but things add up. One commercial every thirty minutes isn't bad.

22. Speechless macrumors 6502a

You can use my edu email for a low monthly fee of $75 for a three year contract..

23. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

:D:D:D

24. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

The free Spotify plan is fine on desktop if you're OK with the occasional ad, but it's different on mobile devices. You can only shuffle playlists (or artists, radio, etc.) rather than play individual songs on demand, and you're limited (in Pandora-like fashion) to a certain number of skips. You also can't download playlists to your device for offline listening. The former alone makes me occasionally pay for a month or a few--especially when they have promotions to sweeten the price--but the latter isn't bad, either.

25. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

If that's the only proof needed for student status, what's to prevent all faculty and staff with .edu addresses from signing up for the entire length of their employment? I mean besides their own ethical consciences.

Apple's own educational discounts actually do extend to faculty and staff, so maybe this offer applies too. I guess we'd just have to read the ToS to find out for sure.