Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify in February announced plans to introduce a new "HiFi" premium tier sometime in 2021, and while the company declined to offer a date, there's reason to believe a launch could be imminent, especially in the wake of Apple Music's lossless tier announcement on Monday.

spotify-hifi-icon.jpg

In a timely discovery, hints of Spotify's lossless HiFi audio streaming service have again been spotted this week by Reddit user themonarc, who shared their finding with the accompanying image above.

According to the Reddit poster, a hidden HiFi menu was accessed in the Spotify app by "quickly tapping the glitched icon" that briefly appeared on the Now Playing screen upon launch.

Doing so brought up a separate screen explaining that the HiFi option supports 16-bit 44.1kHz streaming over wired earphones. The selected track didn't play in Hi-Fi quality, however, indicating that the server-side functionality isn't yet finalized.

First reports that Spotify was working on a lossless audio version of its streaming service actually appeared over three years ago, when the company started testing the option with a small group of users.

Back then, promotional screens pitched the "Spotify Hi-Fi" tier as a $5-$10 upgrade to a standard Spotify subscription. However, Spotify will likely be hard pressed to justify a paid-for upgrade, now that Apple Music has announced that its lossless offering, set to drop in June, will be free to existing subscribers.

Notably, Amazon Music has already acted to stem a potential audiophile exodus by offering its own Hi-Fi plan as an option for existing subscribers at no extra cost. We've reached out to Spotify for any update on their own HiFi launch plans.

Article Link: Spotify HiFi Icon Spotted in Mobile App Suggests Imminent Launch

alpi123

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2014
So all competitors are copying Apple's every move again. How typical.

If Apple charges, they charge too
If Apple doesn't charge, they dont dare charge

ffs they should spend that effort coming up with new features instead of being so sensitive to Apple's every move.

---
First reports that Spotify was working on a lossless audio version of its streaming service actually appeared over three years ago, when the company started testing the option with a small group of users.

no_idea

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
Watch out on your data cap limits. I suspect ppl will start blowing through the “unlimited” caps and start getting throttled when streaming this uncompressed hi fidelity music.

Dwalls90

Contributor
Feb 5, 2009
Dead on arrival if they are charging for it. That's cute though that they thought they could compete.
Competition is good, but I agree now that Amazon and Apple are giving it away for free, Spotify will need to do the same. I don't think I'd personally notice the difference and am not an audiophile that will start carrying wired headphones with me again to use this, but can see some people switching out of principle.

Reactions: augustrushrox

jamcgahey

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Maine
A lot of primary complaints about this new HiFi thing is that the hardware/software isn't there for it yet. First off, if its an additional fee, the company is ripping you off as there currently is no direct benefit to it yet. However, with companies like Apple/Amazon providing the service for free although currently is largely useless, it is going to push to advance music technology. IMO this is a good move although the benefits aren't immediately apparent. We are going to see advancements in Bluetooth technologies as well as wireless headphones. I do not think Spotify will charge for the higher quality anymore especially since Amazon and Apple aren't. They just haven't announced the change yet.

Not defending Spotify. I find their whining and business practices abhorrent and I am an Apple Music user. Just common sense would be that they won't charge for it anymore.

Wildkraut

macrumors 68030
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
So all competitors are copying Apple's every move again. How typical.

If Apple charges, they charge too
If Apple doesn't charge, they dont dare charge

ffs they should spend that effort coming up with new features instead of being so sensitive to Apple's every move.
Yeah, that’s called competition and totally legal.

„Good artist copy, great artists steal. - Steve Jobs“

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
Dead on arrival if they are charging for it. That's cute though that they thought they could compete.
Well, I think Sonos and Bose have Spotify integration. It would be easier to listen to Spotify hifi audio than with Apple Music

Last edited:
Reactions: Azzin

isidore4000

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2021
Having used both recently, I prefer spotify to apple music. It's the music discovery on spotify that gives it the edge for me. My experience is that I find new music more easily on spotify, whether it's the kind of playlists that get posted to online places I read or it's the dark voodoo of their algorithm finding things I didn't know but end up liking. Both spotify and apple music are way ahead of my brief runthrough of amazon music in this discovery department, but spotify wins vs apple for me here. But the thing I love best about this apple announcment is that it all but guarantees that spotify won't be able to charge me more for their eventual/impending hifi tier. Yeah, I'm trying to keep my audiophilia mostly in the closet, but I have the equipment to benefit from cd-quality streaming and look forward to it coming to spotify.

Whathappened

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2018
Having used both recently, I prefer spotify to apple music. It's the music discovery on spotify that gives it the edge for me. My experience is that I find new music more easily on spotify, whether it's the kind of playlists that get posted to online places I read or it's the dark voodoo of their algorithm finding things I didn't know but end up liking. Both spotify and apple music are way ahead of my brief runthrough of amazon music in this discovery department, but spotify wins vs apple for me here. But the thing I love best about this apple announcment is that it all but guarantees that spotify won't be able to charge me more for their eventual/impending hifi tier. Yeah, I'm trying to keep my audiophilia mostly in the closet, but I have the equipment to benefit from cd-quality streaming and look forward to it coming to spotify.
Is your Return key broken?

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
Competition is good, but I agree now that Amazon and Apple are giving it away for free, Spotify will need to do the same. I don't think I'd personally notice the difference and am not an audiophile that will start carrying wired headphones with me again to use this, but can see some people switching out of principle.
I’d pay an extra $5 for it, because Spotify connect is way better than anything on Apples or Amazon ecosystem.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
But Apple Lossless is not doa even though NONE of iOS users can listen to it without proper $60-90 converter dongle? Also at this point we don't know how big of a library will Spotify kickstart hifi tier. But anyhow neither Spotify nor Apple Music matter when it comes to music quality, both of them are steaming services for the masses.

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Fully agree. Apple and Amazon mentally "set the price" of lossless as "free"

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
But Apple Lossless is not doa even though NONE of iOS users can listen to it without proper $60-90 converter dongle? Also at this point we don't know how big of a library will Spotify kickstart hifi tier. But anyhow neither Spotify nor Apple Music matter when it comes to music quality, both of them are steaming services for the masses.
It's not DOA because it's free (no price increase for Apple Music users)... no harm if you don't have the right equipment for it, full benefit if you do.

Reactions: Azzin and alpi123

SurferPup

macrumors 6502a
A disadvantage for Spotify is that they manufacture no proprietary hardware and I have not heard of them developing a Bluetooth codec that can stream lossless audio. Spatial audio - the difference is very noticeable that I currently enjoy on my AirPods Pro to the extent I have look into  Music sometimes to verify the output source is to my AirPod Pros. I swear, the music sounds like it is being emitted from my iPhone loud speakers. It will be interesting to monitor if, when and which musical technological advance/s Spotify create plus their tier pricing.

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
Watch out on your data cap limits. I suspect ppl will start blowing through the “unlimited” caps and start getting throttled when streaming this uncompressed hi fidelity music.
Telco can immediately disable option for streaming under “unlimited data” or charge customers more for streaming hifi music on the go.

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
By doing so, I fear Spotify would be less and less appealing the longer time goes. Not to say there will be duopoly in music streaming service but Apple and Amazon certainly has much more money to burn than Spotify and other smaller service providers, also much bigger bargain power.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mrjetsondc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.