Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify now has 100 million paid subscribers around the world as of the first quarter of 2019 (via The Verge). The company announced the major milestone today, confirming that Spotify Premium subscribers grew 32 percent year-over-year. In total, there are 217 million monthly active users on Spotify (including the ad-supported tier).

spotify-app.jpg

Spotify said that there were numerous reasons behind the growth in Q1 2019, namely including its Spotify Premium + Hulu bundle offered in the United States. Spotify launched this new bundle in March, offering a free subscription to Hulu with Limited Commercials at no extra cost for all U.S. Spotify subscribers.

In the United Kingdom and France, Spotify offers all premium Family Plan subscribers a free Google Home Mini smart speaker. This offer is still ongoing and ends on May 14, 2019. According to Spotify, "voice speakers are a critical area of growth, particularly for music and podcasts." The company said that it plans to continue to pursue opportunities to expand its presence in this area.

Spotify's update comes nearly six months after the company reported that it had reached 87 million paid subscribers and 191 million monthly active users. While Spotify is far ahead of Apple Music's over 50 million paid subscriber count, The Wall Street Journal earlier this month reported that Apple Music has surpassed Spotify's paid subscriber count in the United States.

Article Link: Spotify Now Has 100M Premium Subscribers Worldwide

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Spotify is way better than Apple Music, with Apple Music I don’t know what’s my music, what’s downloaded is totally confused. The only thing Apple Music has is individual song download, I don’t know anyone that listens to whole albums I certainly don’t, I want to download a song by song and build playlists

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Apple needs to get their act together with music, fast. Most people I know have Spotify regular or premium. And as a result, it makes it very hard for me to share music and playlists with people I care about.

This is an example of where market share is very important, as it effects the value and usability of the product.

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
In the United Kingdom and France, Spotify offers all premium Family Plan subscribers a free Google Home Mini smart speaker.

They also have the promotion in Australia by the way.

I don’t know anyone that listens to whole albums

Hi! You do now!

very hard for me to share music

I know what you mean! For what it’s worth, I use a Siri Shortcut with SongWhip to create universal links to tracks and albums I want to share. No luck with playlists though.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
You can't get a better deal than Spotify Premium + Hulu for $9.99/month.

Certainly curious to see if Apple does something like this once AppleTV+ goes live.

Reactions: JosephAW

Jaylay14

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton, Canada
Spotify is way better than Apple Music, with Apple Music I don’t know what’s my music, what’s downloaded is totally confused. The only thing Apple Music has is individual song download, I don’t know anyone that listens to whole albums I certainly don’t, I want to download a song by song and build playlists

What do you get confused by for seeing if something is downloaded on Apple Music? I find it pretty easy.

Reactions: Stevez67

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I’m curious. Why do you want to know what’s yours etc? It’s all yours to listen to as you please.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
My issues with Apple Music today are the same as years ago; streaming tracks in areas with poor AT&T cell signal results in pauses/skips/delays playing back the music... which is never an issue on Spotify, for whatever reason.

Reactions: martyjmclean

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
I love Spotify but there are still a few things that really annoy me about it, mostly regarding the offline mode.

It’s so annoying how you can’t just search for things which you have saved offline. You simply have you browse through the list of it rather than just quickly typing in a song name to search.

And it’s also so irritating how you can go onto an artist’s page and view all of their albums separately when offline. It just puts them all in one big list instead.

Why does their offline mode suck so much?

Confuzzeled23

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
I just finished setting up my aunt for Spotify. She’s an Android user and her husband is anti-Apple. However I am an Apple Music user. I must say. Spotify’s interface is terrible! Adding something to your library doesn’t automatically download to the device (she wants to have everything she adds available so she doesn’t use data). So I’ve resorted to adding everything to a playlist that is set to download. But adding to a playlist doesn’t add to your library!

Also when going to “my library” and going through artist etc. It doesn’t just show what you’ve added. Instead it brings you to their page.

I really think Apple got it right with how it handles and sorts everything. Treating it like your iTunes library and it’s in your library like anything you’ve bought. Only showing what you’ve added.

I think Apple Music’s interface is much more user friendly and makes more sense with adding things to your library.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018

hmmm. never heard of the "downloaded", "my library", or "Apple Music" selectors. You could try them and all your complaints would be solved.
[doublepost=1556548688][/doublepost]
My issues with Apple Music today are the same as years ago; streaming tracks in areas with poor AT&T cell signal results in pauses/skips/delays playing back the music... which is never an issue on Spotify, for whatever reason.

works great for me, wonder what you are doing and the specifics of your "test".
[doublepost=1556548998][/doublepost]
Apple needs to get their act together with music, fast. Most people I know have Spotify regular or premium. And as a result, it makes it very hard for me to share music and playlists with people I care about.

This is an example of where market share is very important, as it effects the value and usability of the product.

"get their act together". that's a technical term for having more paying subscribers in US than spotify? As most of my friends are on Apple Music, I guess, I sure hope that Spotify gets its act together soon.

Isn't it just as simple as saying people will have a preference of one over the other and it may be as simple as what they started using first? Enough of the empty, factless compares . I have used both, I prefer Apple Music because the interface is cleaner and more consistent with Apple Apps in general, no other reason.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
You can't get a better deal than Spotify Premium + Hulu for $9.99/month.

Certainly curious to see if Apple does something like this once AppleTV+ goes live.
Wish they would allow us to pay few bucks more for ad free version. No ads is a requirement for me, I refuse to watch shows with ads now

Reactions: tonyr6

Agit21

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
Why would I want to make big corporations even bigger? I’d never use Apple Music. Apple already gets enough money from me.
So I’m a happy Spotify user.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

The first part of your post you're saying that Spotify is better because on Apple Music you don't understand what's your music, even though there's an entire dedicated tab called Library which only shows your music, and a selector that shows you only what's downloaded.

The second part of your post is saying that Apple Music is better than Spotify in that you can download individual songs.

But Spotify is better? Quite the case you make there. :rolleyes:

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
Some will like Spotify and others Appel Music; they are basically the same thing.
Once Apple makes a bundle of music and tv, their value will outweigh Spotify’s by a mile. Maybe even adding magazines...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.