Spotify Now Has 83M Paid Subscribers and 180M Total Monthly Users

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

In its Q2 2018 earnings report shared today -- the second since filing for an IPO -- Spotify revealed that it has grown to 83 million paid subscribers globally and 180 million total monthly active users (including the free tier) as of the end of June 2018 (via TechCrunch). This is an increase from 75 million paid subscribers and 170 million total users that Spotify had in Q1 2018.

Spotify is in a heated battle for new subscribers with Apple Music, which has been growing fast over the last few quarters. While Spotify still has more than double Apple Music's global paid subscriber count (Apple Music was last counted to have about 40 million), recent reports have suggested Apple's streaming service could be beating Spotify in terms of paid subscribers in the United States.

Spotify didn't specify U.S. paid subscriber numbers, but it says that 31 percent of its total 180 million monthly active users are located in North America. This places around 56 million paid and free tier Spotify users across regions including the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. Spotify attributes its subscriber growth to strong performance and lower churn rate of its Family Plan, as well as partnerships like the Spotify + Hulu bundle.

While the company grew its revenue 26 percent year-over-year to EUR1.27 billion, it still isn't making a profit and saw an operating loss of EUR91 million and net loss of EUR394 million this quarter. It's believed that the company's spending on marketing campaigns to stay ahead of Apple Music and the high royalty payments to record labels and artists continue to be a barrier to profitability for Spotify.

The company also pointed towards the new GDPR rules set in Europe this past May as a "disruptor" across its European markets during Q2. The rules were said to have slowed down subscriber growth where 37 percent of its total user base resides (its biggest region), but Spotify says it "seems to be largely past that now."

Looking into Q3 2018, Spotify expects paid subscribers to rise to 85-88 million and total users to rise to 188-193 million.

Article Link: Spotify Now Has 83M Paid Subscribers and 180M Total Monthly Users

Blackstick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2014
Sunny South Florida
I love Spotify, it's light-weight and straight forward, easy to find music, add to playlists, done.

Apple Music's biggest problem is that it's bolted on top of the Mac iTunes app, which since the first iPhone has become a cluster**** of a bloated piece of garbage application that I removed it from my dock entirely... on iOS devices it's tolerable, but useless on my Mac work.

My gut feeling says come macOS 10.15 Apple just marzipans the iOS Music apps to macOS and kills/sunsets iTunes classic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I love Spotify, it's light-weight and straight forward, easy to find music, add to playlists, done.

Apple Music's biggest problem is that it's bolted on top of the Mac iTunes app, which since the first iPhone has become a cluster**** of a bloated piece of garbage application that I removed it from my dock entirely... on iOS devices it's tolerable, but useless on my Mac work.

My gut feeling says come macOS 10.15 Apple just marzipans the iOS Music apps to macOS and kills/sunsets iTunes classic.
Yeah, I rarely ever use Apple Music on my Mac. Usually on my iOS devices, my Apple Watch and my Apple TV.

Reactions: Blackstick

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
I like Spotify, but it becomes repetitive fast. The artist radios and daily mixes contain the same playlist day after day.

Reactions: house13um

m0sher

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2018
forums.macrumors.com
I switched from Spotify to Apple Music for three months free service. I wonder if they are considering free subscriptions as part of “subscriptions” when they are providing statistics?

Having said that in this time I honestly don’t mind Apple Music and it’s the same price as Spotify. I was able to transfer my playlists with Songshift.

Functionality still has a little ways to go to match Spotify but it is navigable.

It seamlessly works with Siri to find music and I don’t miss Spotify for any one feature in particular enough to go back. So I’m sticking with Apple Music when my subscription ends in July.

I wonder how many people that tried the free service are actually sticking with Apple Music?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

truthertech

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2016
Spotify is trapped financially because music streaming is largely a commoditized business where consumers will choose largely based on price so it can't raise prices to make a profit. It's big competitors have other revenue streams so they can bundle it, or subsidize it (Amazon music being "free."). Spotify's investors, venture capitalists, knew this, but they have been willing to lose money in the hopes that they would make their money back on an IPO, (didn't work) or get bought out.

Now strategy is simply to pump numbers, and they are willing to keep hemorrhaging money in the hopes that the numbers will be high enough that someone will buy them out. Again, problem is that music streaming is commoditized so there is a limited value to their music streaming business as there are a plethora of streaming businesses to buy if a big player wants to add streaming music to their business. Remember, they are all essentially offering the same licensed music, so anyone can enter game and then its "simply" a matter of marketing. Best hope for them is major player wants to monetize the 180 million users in some other way. Their worst fear is that Apple is about to bundle music with other services that will make AM even better proposition, or that their losses will continue to be huge and stock value plummets.

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Visit site
That will be the day Apple Music has lost its USP when compared to Spotify. The Music app on iOS is completely useless for organizing and efficiently filtering tracks in a carefully curated library, not to mention for editing and properly displaying relevant metadata. So is Spotify.

Reactions: Loge

dmylrea

macrumors 68030
Sep 27, 2005
Happy AM user. Spotify had its chance.
Been using Spotify for over a year. Recently signed up for 4 month trial of AM. So far, every time (and I mean every time) I've asked Siri to play something, she gets it wrong. My family laughs. I just shake my head and go back to Spotify.

Just getting my personal (owned) music into my Apple Music library was a slow, painful exercise. I just don't see why people love AM so much?

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I love Spotify, it's light-weight and straight forward, easy to find music, add to playlists, done
It’s funny how different opinions can be. I find Spotify’s interface to be crap. Not saying Apple Music doesn’t have room for improvement but trying to covertly look for songs on my phone while at a red light on Spotify is quite difficult. For that reason alone I’ve written it off.

Heineken

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2018
Been using Spotify for over a year. Recently signed up for 4 month trial of AM. So far, every time (and I mean every time) I've asked Siri to play something, she gets it wrong. My family laughs. I just shake my head and go back to Spotify.
Works most of time for me on iPhone and I can't remember HomePod getting it wrong. Maybe you have strange accent?

Reactions: SurferPup

dmylrea

macrumors 68030
Sep 27, 2005
Works most of time for me on iPhone and I can't remember HomePod getting it wrong. Maybe you have strange accent?
Born and raised in So Cal, so I don't think so.
[doublepost=1532618202][/doublepost]
It’s funny how different opinions can be. I find Spotify’s interface to be crap. Not saying Apple Music doesn’t have room for improvement but trying to covertly look for songs on my phone while at a red light on Spotify is quite difficult. For that reason alone I’ve written it off.
I hope this is sarcasm. If not, it's a pitiful reason for calling it's interface "crap".

Jago

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013

Music being bolted on top of iTunes is the main reason I ended up using it. I know there are now ways to achieve this, but back when I was considering Spotify, it didn’t have a way to ”import” an iTunes library (mine is at 40gb now). No way in hell was I going to manually re-add hundreds upon hundreds of albums by hand.

truthertech

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2016

Just getting my personal (owned) music into my Apple Music library was a slow, painful exercise. I just don't see why people love AM so much?

You obviously have something wrong with your phone if every time you ask Siri to play a song, she gets it wrong. My family and many friends are heavy music listeners and some songs have odd titles that could be more than one song, but most every time Siri gets it correct. In fact, music and sports are two very strong areas in testing for Siri. Something aint right here.

Reactions: Kengineer

m0sher

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2018
forums.macrumors.com
If I had to make one critique, that would be Apple Music needs to find the millenniums because they think Apple Music is for old people. Spotify is hip to them even if they own iPhones.

Reactions: bhodinut

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
I tried the free spotify tier for a couple years and I loved it. I recently made the switch to Apple music because I also have a ton of music in my itunes library and I wanted to have a central location for all my music and playlists. Apple music is pretty darn good, but I do miss the Spotify and it's easy to use interface. I also liked the Spotify playlists more than Apple music. It took me a while to get used to apple music, but it works just as well for me now.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
You obviously have something wrong with your phone if every time you ask Siri to play a song, she gets it wrong. My family and many friends are heavy music listeners and some songs have odd titles that could be more than one song, but most every time Siri gets it correct. In fact, music and sports are two very strong areas in testing for Siri. Something aint right here.
99.9% of the time Siri gets songs and artists for me correctly but about a week ago I was asking her to play a particular song (can't remember exactly what it was, some really old song from the 1980s I think) and repeatedly, like five times in a row, it played some classical music song instead. I have no idea how that confusion happened but it was a very rare occurrence in my experience.

One thing I do find annoying with Siri/Apple Music is when I ask her to play something new for me (which kicks off her discovery feature) and she starts off with something I don't like I'll follow up with "play something else" and she'll just move to the next track on the same album It would be nice if she were smarter about that.

Reactions: truthertech

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
Spotify has better algorithms for finding music you’ll enjoy. Every week they manage to find new stuff I love. I tried Apple Music several times and couldn’t get over its weaker music discovery playlists. Don’t know what I would do without Spotify’s Discover Weekly and Release Radar.