Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Funny how Apple will let you host your free app but let you pay for subscriptions outside the app store

Commenters would have you believe Apple will go bankrupt without their 30% cut
Because Apple is perfectly fine with a small number of apps (or a specific app category like games) subsidizing everything else on the App Store. They know nobody would download apps if they had to pay 99 cents to download/use them.

Chiromac81

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
Oh yeah, Spotify.
Still no airplay 2 Support (promised in 2018)
Still no HomePod support (promised in 2020) and this one especially hurts because they wouldn’t stop complaining about Apple locking them out of the HomePod, and when Apple actually caves and allows third-party streaming services, Spotify is a no-show several years later.
No lossless audio support (promised in 2021)
No spatial audio/Dolby Atmos support (almost all of their competitors Have this now)

And yet they’ve still been increasing their prices.
You forgot no Apple Watch support

Chiromac81

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
I wouldn’t call it abysmal. I subscribe to Apple Music. It’s not perfect but meets my needs. Spotify is terrible for me. I also have iTunes Match with over 10 K songs, I like to use my old collection with newer ones.
No offense but like them on not-Spotify is MUCH BETTER than Apple Music....just not if you are an Apple user wanting more Apple integration.

But as a just music service in isolation, Spotify crushes Apple Music (tried both for extended periods)

• Haha
Reactions: 75Batt

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Are you paying additionally for iTunes Match? If so, you don't have to. Apple Music includes iTunes Match.
I have a higher bit rate songs in the collection than Apple. I don’t want Apple replacing my collection with their music. Basically costs me 24 bucks a year for keeping my huge collection in the cloud.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
No offense but like them on not-Spotify is MUCH BETTER than Apple Music....just not if you are an Apple user wanting more Apple integration.

But as a just music service in isolation, Spotify crushes Apple Music (tried both for extended periods)
It has nothing to do with integration. Spotify has limited collection for my preferences. I don’t like blanket statements like this is better than that when it comes to music. What’s better for some may be terrible for me.

Reactions: Abazigal

DougieS

macrumors regular
May 31, 2019
So, I mentioned this before but feel I should say/ask it again.

I use the PlayStation App on my phone. I signed into my PlayStation account and I buy my digital games from PlayStation right in the App and never deal with Apple as Sony has my CC attached my PS account.

If Sony can do this, why don’t other companies do this. If Spotify wanted to let people buy Audiobooks and skip the IAP, they should/could just copy Sony’s process. He** any company could do this.

Before these CEOS and such complain over and over, maybe they should look at viable alternatives that work.
Because the games you are buying are not content to be used within the PlayStation App, but to be used on an external device (PlayStation).

Apple stipulates that they get their cut should the content being bought is to be used within an iOS app.
Spotify subscriptions are content to be used (streamed) within the iOS app and thus can’t take alternative payments.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Oh yeah, Spotify.
Still no airplay 2 Support (promised in 2018)
Still no HomePod support (promised in 2020) and this one especially hurts because they wouldn’t stop complaining about Apple locking them out of the HomePod, and when Apple actually caves and allows third-party streaming services, Spotify is a no-show several years later.
No lossless audio support (promised in 2021)
No spatial audio/Dolby Atmos support (almost all of their competitors Have this now)

And yet they’ve still been increasing their prices.
Yeah, spotify is not living up to what it had the potential to be, at least for my personal use. I leaned toward Spotify in the early days of Apple Music because it was just better overall. But it seems that the tables have turned. Apple's bundle is starting to look better and better now

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016

I use the PlayStation App on my phone. I signed into my PlayStation account and I buy my digital games from PlayStation right in the App and never deal with Apple as Sony has my CC attached my PS account.

If Sony can do this, why don’t other companies do this. If Spotify wanted to let people buy Audiobooks and skip the IAP, they should/could just copy Sony’s process. He** any company could do this.

Before these CEOS and such complain over and over, maybe they should look at viable alternatives that work.
Likely because you aren't buying digital games for use on the iphone.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
What is a Spotify? A bankrupt company which doesn't pay artists?
Here's a quick rundown of the top global streaming services by their percentage of market share:
  • Spotify: 31%
  • Apple Music: 15%
  • Amazon Music: 13%
  • Tencent Music: 13%
  • YouTube Music: 8%
They do pay their artists, btw.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Funny how Apple will let you host your free app but let you pay for subscriptions outside the app store

Commenters would have you believe Apple will go bankrupt without their 30% cut
It’s not free you’re paying the Developers license fee. With subscription app has to handle the processing, chargebacks … also the subscription fee % off offset some of the cost from the free apps.

Hypothetically, if every app was free in the App Store I would imagine Apple would charge a monthly fee to developers to have there app in the App Store

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Might be related to audiobooks. Premium users get 15hrs total listening per month. Used up my allowance, got told I’d have to buy more reading time or wait till next month to continue.

This is my thought as well.

Though I could see Spotify bringing back subscribing to premium in-app purchase, but charging a higher price vs. Signing up directly with them.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I guess they discovered the AppStore fees were far less than the drop in total revenues not being available in the AppStore. Who would have thought? Oh yea, Apple. Going back to the iPod Apple developed large data models for their economic decisions and finding various sweet spots.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
It’s not free you’re paying the Developers license fee. With subscription app has to handle the processing, chargebacks … also the subscription fee % off offset some of the cost from the free apps.

Hypothetically, if every app was free in the App Store I would imagine Apple would charge a monthly fee to developers to have there app in the App Store
I auto renew that $100 annual and have never bothered caring about the cost. Why? People routinely dump more on booze in a night at a bar.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Spotify should be delisted immediately from the App Store for the following reasons:

1. inappropriately racist content and vaccine misinformation from “The Joe Rogan Podcast”

2. streaming music services and “podcasts” in the Spotify app are a duplication of what Apple provides with its built-in Music app and Podcasts app

3. Spotify is located in Sweden; foreign-based products and services should be subject to tariffs to protect American workers and the domestic economy

Last edited:

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
I have a higher bit rate songs in the collection than Apple. I don’t want Apple replacing my collection with their music. Basically costs me 24 bucks a year for keeping my huge collection in my the cloud.
Yeah apple music already does this. I have a library of almost 50,000 songs many of which are uploaded to icloud music library. Apple Music originally didn't do what ITunes Match does but that changed years ago. You don't need to be paying for both things at the same time.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

macplow

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
good thing Spotify’s CEO Daniel Ek is worth 2.4 billion in stock options and bonuses... He’s definitely the guy to keep the company that’s never earned a profit ‘lean’

He probably could have sold 1% of his stock and kept those 1000 employees employed for their entire lives!!!

Oh yeah... Spotify stock jumped 17% on the news of layoffs... (which makes no sense since it will still make no money!!!!) Since the CEO has 2 billion in stock, he made 340 million dollars by firing those people.

Apple's 30% is not the problem and it certainly isn't a threat to the internet. Their greed is the problem.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Yeah apple music already does this. I have a library of almost 50,000 songs many of which are uploaded to icloud music library. Apple Music originally didn't do what ITunes Match does but that changed years ago. You don't need to be paying for both things at the same time.
I use Apple Music subscription few months(May be 6 months) a year. I doubt Apple keeps my music in cloud if I stop Apple Music subscription. I took break from Apple Music when I got 3 month Amazon Music trial. I don’t want to be tied to Apple Music, though it’s my preferred service now. iTunes Match keeps my music synced across devices when I don’t have AM music.

Last edited:

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow

You’re buying content to use on another platform. The playstation app is essentially an online store. You buy a game and go play it elsewhere. Spotfiy is an app that’s using the Apple ecosystem for promotion, for distribution and for consumption yet doesn’t want to pay for those benefits.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow

I mean you’re entitled to your opinion but it isn’t fact. I hate the experience of Spotfy and the discoverability of actual credible and upcoming artists isn’t there and there’s no lossless support. It also is nowhere near as good for genre specific content like DJ mixes and classical.

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
I use Apple Music subscription few months(May be 6 months) a year. I doubt Apple keeps my music in cloud if I stop Apple Music subscription. I took break from Apple Music when I got 3 month Amazon Music trial. I don’t want to be tied to Apple Music, though it’s my preferred service now. iTunes Match keeps my music synced across devices when I don’t have AM music.
Ohhh that makes more sense. Match sounds perfect for your use case then! Good thinking :)

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016

I guess it depends what you want out of your music.
Spotify is better for discoverability sure, but when it comes to audio quality, library management, any type of surround sound support, synchronizing local files between devices and compatibility with Apple devices, Spotify gets destroyed by Apple Music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.