Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
Yeah would be very interesting if streaming royalties were paid on a per stream basis.

royalties from streaming services are calculated on a stream share basis (i.e. a song’s percentage of the service’s total number of streams)
Well the 5 articles I read said the other. I gave 2 sources. Please don't state "facts" without sources. It is possible my sources are incorrect,and yours is correct, but none that I read suggested what you are stating.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Well the 5 articles I read said the other. I gave 2 sources. Please don't state "facts" without sources. It is possible my sources are incorrect,and yours is correct, but none that I read suggested what you are stating.

Your sources are very very questionable.

Billboard:

Most streaming revenue comes from user subscription fees for services such as Spotify, Apple Music and Amazon Music Unlimited. In simple terms, the DSPs divvy their pools of subscription revenue according to the number of times a track was streamed in a particular month. (DSPs with freemium business models — Spotify, YouTube, Pandora, SoundCloud — also pay rights holders a share of their advertising revenue.) Once the royalties are calculated, a DSP makes separate payments to record labels for the sound recording and to publishers and PROs for the musical work.

Variety:

“In the letter, Apple says it pays 52% of subscription revenue, or 52 cents of every dollar, to record labels. Spotify, which generates revenue both from subscriptions and its free ad-supported tier, says it pays ⅔ of every dollar of revenue to rights holders, with 75% to 80% of that going to labels, which translates to 50 to 53 cents on the dollar, depending on agreements between the service and different labels.”

However, nuances were lost in some of the wording: The first sentence of the WSJ article reads: “Apple Music told artists it pays a penny per stream” — which does not specify who it pays a penny per stream — and while the main headline on the article reads, “Apple Music Reveals How Much It Pays When You Stream a Song,” a secondary headline reads, “Apple Music pays artists twice as much as Spotify per stream.”

It is not hard to see how the inaccuracies, which were not stated but may have been inferred from the letter and the article, could lead some artists to think that they’ll be getting a penny from Apple every time their music is streamed, or even that the company has increased its rates to pay artists a penny per stream, even though the letter specifically states that “royalties from streaming services are calculated on a stream share basis” (i.e. a song’s percentage of the service’s total number of streams, which means Apple Music does not pay royalties on a per stream basis). Ultimately, the variables make apples-to-apples comparisons (sorry) nearly impossible, but multiple sources say the two companies’ rates are actually much closer than Friday’s headlines would imply.

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
Your sources are very very questionable.

Billboard:

Variety:

I agree that your sources are better, and rescind and adjust my opinion. When I did a Google search "how much do streaming services pay artists 2023" those were the articles that came up. The ones you pointed to did not come up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.