Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Airplay 1 is good enough - unless you need to stream all over. My Yamaha receiver (Airplay 1) has 2 zones, volume controlled by Yamaha app, so no issue here.
it is a convenience issue - using two apps for that is a nuisance for the tech savvy, but a no-no for non-technical people

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Legacy apps can still do multiroom audio to AirPlay 2 devices. It just ties up the device the whole time.
Does Spotify really do that? I know iTunes on a Computer does that - but when I tried it, different speakers where slightly out of sync.
I haven't managed to do any multiroom just with the Spotify app (I use HEOS for that)

Reactions: B/D

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Does Spotify really do that? I know iTunes on a Computer does that - but when I tried it, different speakers where slightly out of sync.
I haven't managed to do any multiroom just with the Spotify app (I use HEOS for that)

They do.

Reactions: joecomo

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
No Chance in my setup - I can only select one device for playing, if I select another one the first one is gone. There is no "Multiroom-Option" anywhere in my Spotify-preferences.

From what I checked: it seems, that pure Spotify-Connect Multiroom possible with some devices (e.g. Teufel Speakers) but not universally (like Airplay2). With HEOS-speakers I don't see this option, I have to use the HEOS-App for the grouping and volume control.

Last edited:

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
but no Multiroom for Spotify Connect - if they implement that AND integrate it well into iOS, we can talk.
But this will never happen ...

It does work with grouped speakers in Sonos, which is what I use. The grouping needs to be configured from the Sonos app, though.

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
It does work with grouped speakers in Sonos, which is what I use. The grouping needs to be configured from the Sonos app, though.
That is what I have with HEOS as well - but then the multiroom is done by HEOS, with the Spotify Connect just an input stream. This leads to a two App setup - my wife hates it.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
No Chance in my setup - I can only select one device for playing, if I select another one the first one is gone. There is no "Multiroom-Option" anywhere in my Spotify-preferences.

From what I checked: it seems, that pure Spotify-Connect Multiroom possible with some devices (e.g. Teufel Speakers) but not universally (like Airplay2). With HEOS-speakers I don't see this option, I have to use the HEOS-App for the grouping and volume control.

I should have been more clear: they do on IOS, when airplaying to Airplay 2 enabled speakers, because of this (from. ars technica, see below).

You simply select all the speakers that you want from the IOS Airplay menu (not from within the Spotify app itself).

Users can still use the original version of AirPlay from within Spotify. And if they're using an Apple device to run Spotify, they can use OS-level AirPlay 2 support to gain access to some of the potential benefits of AirPlay 2 with Spotify's web, mobile, or desktop apps.

raindogg

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
Brooklyn NY
I still don't know why any iPhone people have Spotify over Apple Music
I use it because I like playlist over albums. When I used Apple Music and would add a song to a playlist it would make a new playlist with the same name followed by a number. Then I would have playlist, playlist 1, playlist 2 and so on.

Spotify works perfect ever time, on every one of my devices.

AhRiHmAn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2016
France
Why use Airplay when you can use Spotify Connect , which is much better....?
Better for battery , better for continuity between different devices , simply better.

Reactions: xyz01

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Why use Airplay when you can use Spotify Connect , which is much better....?
Better for battery , better for continuity between different devices , simply better.

Because of the systems which support Airplay but not Spotify Connect.

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
I should have been more clear: they do on IOS, when airplaying to Airplay 2 enabled speakers, because of this (from. ars technica, see below).

You simply select all the speakers that you want from the IOS Airplay menu (not from within the Spotify app itself).

Users can still use the original version of AirPlay from within Spotify. And if they're using an Apple device to run Spotify, they can use OS-level AirPlay 2 support to gain access to some of the potential benefits of AirPlay 2 with Spotify's web, mobile, or desktop apps.
so this is a little bit like the HEOS approach - only using the iOS Airplay menu rather than the HEOS app.
It seems that in some special cases (e.g. some Teufel Speakers) there is some Spotify Connect intrinsic Multiroom as well.

But all of this is a horrible user experience - the way Airplay2 works is intuitive and straightforward. That it offloads the streaming to the cloud is an additional bonus :).

Reactions: B/D

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
I'm really struggling to understand the issue. Airplay 2 works fine on Spotify on my iPhone with minimal lag.

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
Because of the systems which support Airplay but not Spotify Connect.

Are there others than Apple doing that?

Also, I just checked - if I play on Spotify and then start airplay from my iphone's control center (pull down), I can select how many Sonos speakers I want. I guess that would work on the Homepod too.

Besides, homepod seems to be failing as they discontinued the main model and never starting a proper international rollout. Maybe things would have been different if they had an app store for the Homepod too?

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
It's not hard for Apple , when you get billions of dollars from iPhone and Macs ans other devices , to pay artists ( a bit) more.
Spotify doesn't make any money for now , so I can't see how they could pay more...
If you don't have a good business model, it doesn't make it legitimate to pay your suppliers inappropriately low amounts for their goods and services. If Spotify was a bricks and mortar business it would have never even got off the ground, but investors are repeatedly happy to prop up bad internet services with unfair business practices purely because they believe that undercutting competitors will lead to market dominance, which then can lead to profit when they can start to charge whatever they like because there's no competition anymore. And regulators just ignore it, or, worse with music in the U.S., soak up the lobbying and enforce ridiculously low pay-per-play minimums that artists have no influence on. But Spotify are not new anymore, and still there's no profit. It's just a bad business.

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
It's not hard for Apple , when you get billions of dollars from iPhone and Macs ans other devices , to pay artists ( a bit) more.
Spotify doesn't make any money for now , so I can't see how they could pay more...

I wouldn't be sure the metric "money paid stream" is very interesting - the less your customers use your app, the higher this gets.

I have both Apple Music and Spotify, and Spotify is used a lot more because my experience with it in general is far superior to the Apple Music one. This doesn't result in "more money for the artists", just the same money spread across fewer plays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.