Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify and eight companies and associations have written a letter to the EU Commission's executive vice president calling Apple a harmful, anti-competitive, and monopolistic company that must be regulated through "urgent action."

Apple-vs-Spotify-feature2.jpg

The letter, signed by the CEOs and heads of Basecamp, Deezer, Proton, Schibsted, Spotify, European Publishers Council (EPC), France Digitale, and News Media Europe, was sent to Margrethe Vestager of the EU. The letter urges the EU to take regulatory action and conclude an ongoing investigation triggered by Spotify against Apple's app distribution practices.

The group claims Apple's App Store has hindered their businesses and consistently makes it difficult for them to grow due to the platform's policies and its "capricious changes to terms and conditions."

For years, Apple has imposed unfair restrictions on our businesses. These restrictions hamper our development and harm European consumers. They include the tying of the App Store to Apple's proprietary payment system, with its excessive commissions for app developers; the creation of artificial obstacles that prevent our businesses from freely communicating with our customers; restrictions to developers' access to data of their own users; and capricious changes to terms and conditions. Apple benefits from a monopoly position over its mobile ecosystem and extracts exorbitant rents from app developers who have no choice but to remain on the App Store to reach European consumers.
"The time has come for urgent action from the EU to end Apple's abusive behaviors," the letter says, citing the newly passed Digital Markets Act (DMA) and calling for its swift enforcement. "The EU has the opportunity to take the lead, but it must act fast, as every day that passes is a loss for innovation and for the welfare of European consumers," it continues.

In April 2021, the EU published the Commission's Statement of Objections against Apple, outlining its findings after an investigation of unfair App Store practices. In the statement, the EU said Apple "abused its dominant position for the distribution of music streaming apps through its App Store" and that it takes issue with the "mandatory use of Apple's own in-app purchase mechanism imposed on music streaming app developers to distribute their apps." Now, the group of companies claims these alleged wrongdoings are experienced by "countless other app providers" and not just music streaming apps.
We therefore call for a rapid decision in the competition case against Apple for its illegal, anti-competitive behavior involving music streaming services. Many of the anti-competitive behaviors described in the Commission's Statement of Objections against Apple are felt not only by music streaming services but by countless other app providers who wish to offer goods and services via the iOS App Store. That Statement of Objections is nearly two years old and the abuses and consumer harm will continue until a remedy is enforced. Beyond the specific App Store case, the EU authorities urgently need to look at Apple's abusive behavior in other areas as well, such as publishing, web software, communications, and marketplaces.
Apple has been repeatedly accused of unfair and anti-competitive business practices in its App Store, with Spotify being one of the most vocal critics. In October, Spotify published a press release accusing Apple of damaging "Spotify's and other developers' abilities to provide a seamless user experience" and stated these restrictions "hurt both creators and consumers alike."

Although Spotify has been vocal about its disapproval of Apple's App Store, the music streaming service has neglected widespread requests to add HomePod support to its app, despite many of its competitors doing so. As a result, some Spotify customers have switched to other platforms, such as Apple Music. In an independent blog post on its website this week, Spotify said, "Apple has been enabled by the lack of decisive action by regulators, who continue to move hesitantly, even in the face of a groundswell of support."

Article Link: Spotify Pens Joint Letter Calling Apple 'Harmful' and 'Anti-Competitive,' Claims App Store Ruins Business

Last edited:

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Hey Spotify (who I subscribe to), how about you upgrade your library to hires that youve talked about for so long?

It's getting to the point where while I love your interface (not so much the in car version though), I'm tempted to subscribe to Apple Music or an alternative who will send me higher bit rate files.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
All of these people need to get over themselves. You try to run a business and provide the credit card service costs, the sales tax collection, the marketing costs, the advertising costs, and the website costs, along with the cost of downloading the app. Oh and you provide over a billion customers for the service. And after you do all that, let’s look at what it costs you. I guarantee that it is more than 30 percent of the cost.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am curious as to what exactly they want the EU to do, since the letter is vague on specifics in that regard.

It increasingly sounds like these companies want all the advantages of the App Store (it allows them instant access to Apple's user base), without having to contribute a single cent to help upkeep the App Store. I would compare this as being akin to jumping over the turnstile at the train station. Want to take the metro, but don't want to pay the fare.

And finally, I will argue that the App Store policies are what result in the greatest benefit for the greatest number of users. If you poll users, I am willing to bet that the majority do not exactly hate closed ecosystems, and have little interest in the sort of change these companies are trying to usher in.

Make no mistake. Remember the names of each and every one of these companies and their CEOs. They are not doing this for the benefit or empowerment of users. They simply want more power, and they will happily burn the App Store model to the ground to get it.

Rob__Mac

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2021
Hackney, London
I will put my hands up and say I was a very happy Spotify user until I got an Apple Watch about 5 years ago, which only really worked with Apple Music. Same with the HomePod I got later.

If Apple allowed me to use Spotify in the way that Apple Music works with these devices, I would still be a loyal Spotify user. I miss all my friends mixes etc. but I need to be able to use Siri with my devices, leave the house with my watch only and known I'll be able to stream…

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Well I have to admit Apple Music doesn't work as well as Deezer, with Apple Music if it loses signal it seems to forget the currently playing track until it connects to WiFi again. With Deezer it reconnects and remembers the last playing track and list. Also Apple Music has lengths of silence when changing tracks.

Just an observation I've had, when I used Spotify I noticed this too. Perhaps if Apple could improve Apple Music app so it's more similar in its fluidity and better when it loses connections it could be more worth while.

As to the complaint, I don't know it's a difficult one, with the platform they wouldn't have a business, but that doesn't give the platform the right to change policies at whim like Apppe does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osxguy

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
How about Spotify pay their artists FAIRLY like Google and Apple has been doing and start moderating some of the content on their podcasts first before complaining about the platform. Don’t like it,

MAKE YOUR OWN PHONE AND PLATFORM!!!!!!!!

I know some of the content in their podcasts may violate EU (mainly Germany) laws…..

Joe Mac User

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
Houston, TX
I always like it when companies "out" themselves, giving me a reason to not buy, subscribe, nor use their products. Spotify is $#!^ to musicians and it astounds me how many musicians reflexively say "Spotify" like people do with Google. Proton has made Apple-bashing a hobby, which turned me off to them a while back. I'm not familiar with the others but they'll be on my list of ones to ignore when they come up. Dummies.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
It's gonna be funny when Apple is forced to change their ways... and these developers get everything they think they want... yet companies like Spotify STILL lose money because streaming music is simply a terrible business to be in.

Then they can no longer blame Apple for their problems.

But wait... didn't Spotify try to get their users to stop paying through the App Store years ago? Here's a story from 2015:

That was over 7 years ago. So by now the majority of Spotify's customers aren't involved in the 30% cut anyway. In other words... most of their customers are paying Spotify directly from the web... bypassing the App Store entirely.

And Spotify is still the largest music streaming service... by far. Which is contradictory to their claim that Apple makes it difficult for them to grow.

So what are they complaining about?

🤔

podycust

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2017
I will put my hands up and say I was a very happy Spotify user until I got an Apple Watch about 5 years ago, which only really worked with Apple Music. Same with the HomePod I got later.

If Apple allowed me to use Spotify in the way that Apple Music works with these devices, I would still be a loyal Spotify user. I miss all my friends mixes etc. but I need to be able to use Siri with my devices, leave the house with my watch only and known I'll be able to stream…
The ball is Spotify court they just don’t want to make a decent Apple Watch app and add support for HomePod (which deezer has)

They are happy to moan!

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011

I was in the same boat. I loved Spotify. Then I got an Apple Watch for marathon training. Shifted to AM. Running without a phone is bliss.

I’m pretty sure Apple allows streaming from Spotify now, but Spotify is slow to support it. I guess they spend more resources complaining about fairness than being competitive.

I’d go back to Spotify in a heart beat if they would stop banging their drum and just work to be the best.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022

Spotify has chosen not to use the APIs Apple created to allow Spotify to work seamlessly. Apple unlocked the door, but Spotify doesn’t want to open it.

Stansvik

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
Steve Jobs said 1983: "What we want to do is we want to put an incredibly great computer in a book that you can carry around with you and learn how to use in 20 minutes ... and we really want to do it with a radio link in it so you don't have to hook up to anything and you're in communication with all of these larger databases and other computers"

In 1993, Apple launched its first attempt at a mobile device; Newton Message Pad.

In 2007 Apple launched the iPhone, and in 2008 the iPhone SDK and AppStore.

We can safely agree that Apple invented both the modern smartphone and the app economy as we know them today.

What exactly is the problem? All retailers put a margin on the products they sell.
What would it look like if, for example, Nike were to complain to Walmart that they would not be allowed to put a margin on their shoes, but Nike would get 100% of what consumers pay...?

Stop whining.

Instead, be happy for the app economy that Apple has created for you.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
But doesn’t Spotify make most of its money from Apple users who download their app via the Apple App Store?
Yeah, this reads an awful lot like "now that we've leveraged Apple's ecosystem to boost our product, we don't want to have to pay Apple anymore".

I'm sure they make valid points, but almost all of these actions and demands (I'm looking at you, Epic) are mostly self-serving efforts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.