Spotify Premium Now Includes Hulu's Ad-Supported Plan at No Extra Cost

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a collection of student-related bundles, Spotify today announced that Spotify Premium will now include a free subscription to Hulu With Limited Commercials at no extra cost, for all users in the United States. The bundle is launching today and is open for sign-ups by Spotify Premium customers in the U.S. through June 10, 2019 (via The Verge).

[​IMG]

Hulu With Limited Commercials recently lowered in price to just $5.99/month, but now Spotify Premium users will gain access to the video streaming service for free, as long as they stay subscribed to Spotify. This means that for $9.99/month, these users will be able to listen to all of the music on offer at Spotify, as well as stream the ad-supported version of Hulu.

To start saving, new Spotify Premium users can sign up for a 30-day free trial now and activate Hulu on the "Your Services" page in account settings. Those who already have Spotify Premium with Hulu, the company will automatically switch these users over from a $12.99/month price to the new $9.99/month price.

Lastly, those who already have a Hulu account but not Spotify will have to cancel their billing through Hulu and switch it over to Spotify. All Hulu plans connected to Spotify for this offer can not have any extras added onto it, so premium channels like HBO aren't allowed.

For the student bundles, Spotify and Hulu last August updated their offer by including Showtime. This means that eligible college students can get a Spotify Premium subscription ($9.99/month), Hulu With Limited Commercials subscription ($5.99/month), and a Showtime subscription ($10.99/month) for $4.99 per month total.

Article Link: Spotify Premium Now Includes Hulu's Ad-Supported Plan at No Extra Cost

2. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Nice win for Spotify.

Kinda feels like Hulu is getting desperate for subscribers though.

3. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I've never heard of Hulu (is it american?) but it sounds like a great deal.

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

5. mrow macrumors 6502

Yes, it’s an American streaming TV service backed by a bunch of the big studios. Surely you’ve heard of the TV show “The Handmaid’s Tale”? That’s a Hulu original series.

6. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Thinking opposite they are trying to snag users from Netflix with their price increase

7. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

Nope, individual Spotify Premium plans only.

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

More like this is a gateway to their live tv service. They seemed to have focused all of their efforts on that package (thus the price drop for the traditional plan).

9. klymr, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019

klymr macrumors 65816

And only if you are new to Spotify Premium. That counts me out. Bummer.

EDIT: I stand corrected. As dmylrea pointed out below, the offer can be activated if you are currently a Spotify Premium subscriber, despite the contradicting text on the Spotify homepage. I found it under the "Your services" tab on my account profile.

10. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Looks like they are trying to gear up and be prepared for apples entry into the market.

11. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Apple TV service bundled with Apple Music confirmed then I guess?

12. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Thanks.
    I’ve got a family plan, but also have another 9 months of Hulu at $1.50/month. So... $1.50 it is!

13. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I should look at what Hulu has to offer... I think they might have all the content that I watch on DirecTV NOW. Maybe I can just cancel that now that it's suddenly 50% more expensive (from $35/month when I signed up to $50/month now).

14. JetTester macrumors regular

Sounds like it will be attractive to those who haven't cut the cord yet, but for the rest, not so much.

15. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Not true. Existing Spotify Premium users get the Free Hulu. Just go to the Spotify site and you will see the offer to activate. Login with your existing account, and you're good. I just did it.

Is it Hulu's best plan? No. But it's FREE!!! :)

16. theapplehead macrumors regular

theapplehead

Apple Music should offer a feature like this. It would most likely increase its user base.

17. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

This guarantees Apple will allow a bundle on their services.

It only depends on what Apples new video service will offer. If it offers some access to the iTunes movie catalog, as well as their own Apple-branded TV shows, I’m guessing a 14.99 price tag for the bundle.

If their new service is just Apple-branded TV shows, I’m guessing it will be free to Apple users.

18. archer75 macrumors 68020

sucks it doesn't apply to the family plan. I'm not crazy about hulu but it would have been a nice bonus.

19. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

But… but… but… I thought Apple was winning? ;)
    I mean that's what all the other Spotify vs AppleMusic threads imply.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

We're already getting Spotify Premium for effectively $2.50 per account per month. I don't think we can complaint much.

21. klymr macrumors 65816

Very cool! I just activated Hulu as well. Confusing wording on the Spotify home page though, "Open only to users who are new to Spotify Premium." I had to go to the "Your services" tab under my account to find the offer.

Sorry if I confused anyone, and thanks for the tip dmylrea!

22. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

And as usual with every Hulu promo ever offered, those of us with ad-free are ignored.

23. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

Shouldn’t any business that depends on subscribers be desperate for subscribers? Or would it be better if they just hoped for the best and let things play out on their own?

24. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Hulu just recently reduced it's ad supported price to $5.99 / month.

It's ok but looking at the content they have, I would not pay more than $5.99 .
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2019 ---
    I was somewhat disappointed in its content. I can see it supplementing other streaming services like Netflix or Prime but I couldn't see it as a replacement.

25. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Very interesting move here. I subscribe to both services, but I'm billed for Hulu via my iTunes account (due to the credit I have from gift cards). Though I am currently subscribed to the no ads plan of Hulu. I'll have to think about this.