Spotify Reaches 96M Paid Subscribers Compared to Apple Music's 'Over 50 Million'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2019.

1. mikethemartian macrumors regular

That’s your investment advice? Buy out a company with a successful product and then discontinue the product?

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

That will end very badly for Apple.

A lot of Apple's success comes from their good-guy image. This will destroy it pretty quickly. People will cancel their Apple Music accounts and move to another competitor, just to spite Apple.

If Apple really wanted to do this, they could do something that's almost identical to what you suggested, but would probably be much better received. Acquire Spotify, lightly rebrand it as Apple Music (just changing the name and icon, nothing more) and move all legacy Apple Music users over to the new Apple Music (aka, Spotify).

3. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

If you aren't on a paid channel Spotify connect is inoperative. All your Social Network friends one day just `disappeared.'

Curated lists people rave about I find 95% of the time from both services don't interest me.

When one spends their days writing novels and recording inside Logic Pro X time spent with background music is nearly zero and that is where I am at. I imagine most professional musicians and fellow hobbyists just don't waste the time curating and searching around, and end up being too busy to care about ``Siri play .... Echo play ....,'' etc.

4. timber macrumors 6502

I don't pay streaming (I buy CDs, yeah, rocking like it is 1990) but Spotify free is pretty nice for something that only runs on ads.

5. ksec macrumors 6502a

Being an iPhone user and half Apple Fan, I gave Apple Music many opportunities, and I still went back to Spotify.

Apple Music is exactly like iTunes, a bloody piece of crap by Apple Standards. ( I am blaming Iovine for this )

6. ATC macrumors 65816

I’ve tried both over the last year, I really wanted to like Apple Music but ultimately went with Spotify. Just about everything about it I found better for my use, especially discovering new music. Apple Music just kept recommending rap lol.

7. RudySnow macrumors 6502

RudySnow

I love Spotify for its Apple TV app.

... oh, wait...

8. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

9. Classie macrumors newbie

The difference between the two platforms are not that big; you can learn to leave both. The gap is mostly due to who hit the market first and got to spread across friends and family; It’s not easy to switch platform.
    Still I would rather sit in Apples boat with pending steaming of series and Movies included in the service...

10. capandjudy macrumors member

capandjudy

Me too. My personal ripped music library is jacked up not to mention all the iTunes headaches I’ve had over the years. I hope Spotify never goes away. I’ve basically created a library of favorite albums that I download and keep locally.

11. Classie macrumors newbie

Concerning podcast I think Apple should watch out. If they don’t evolve and add features they could lose a valuable advantage.

12. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

I’ve been an Apple Music subscriber since it debuted but it definitely needs improvements. I’ve had a lot of issues with it switching songs I’ve ripped from CDs to clean or live versions, switching artwork, saying they’re no longer available etc. The recommendations definitely need work too, it doesn’t seem to matter how much I like/dislike. I’ve also had weird bugs where a greatest hits album I’ve added from Apple Music will split into twenty different albums.

Overall I keep it because of the integration, but if it doesn’t improve by the end of the year I may switch.

13. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

Apple is second class in almost every category they were king 7 years ago and Spotify is in Europe what WhatsApp is to messages.

14. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

Uhhh... yeah you can. Click Create Station. On a song you want to add to a playlist; click Add to a Playlist.

Simple.

Done.

15. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

There's no problem to solve unless you view this is a purely contest of who has the most subscribers.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2019 ---
    Odd take given that: (1) you're looking at this in terms of market share, and (2) Apple's share of the computer market is about the same today as it was in 2000 in the single digits, and (3) Apple's share of the streaming music market is higher than it's share in any other market, including iPhone.
    It's not surprising at all given that less than 20% of all smartphones are iOS devices. In fact, Spotify's growth is anemic given the head start they had on Apple Music and the advantage it has over non-iOS consumers.

16. Lozza013 macrumors member

Lozza013

Sorry it's Spotify all the way for me. As someone who uses a Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch, I took one look at Apple Music and thought it was extremely confusing.

17. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/07/31/apple-music-subscribers-spotify-us-canada-japan/

[​IMG]

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/amp...iness/article/2141288/asia-spotifys-weak-spot

[​IMG]

I know I pay $10 Singaporean dollars for Apple Music monthly, which is a bit less than $10 in US or British pounds.

18. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

It was mentioned in Apple’s recent earnings call. I think they only just made that switched, so I guess not many people got that memo.

I will try to locate a link later. Right now, I can’t find a transcript, and I can’t really recall where I heard it in the interview, but I am sure it’s there.

19. cpa100 macrumors newbie

Had Spotify premium account since they started. 3 months ago I switched to Apple Music. Intergration with everything I have - Apple TV, HomePod, iPhone, watch, etc. Was the reason.

Both are great; it took a good month or so to get used to the switch but now I love Apple Music as much as Spotify. Cannot really say one is massively better than the other - yes they have very different looks; but the ‘new music’ recommendations from apple have been equally good for me - just like Spotify’s discover music weekly.

20. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

No worries. I found it. You're right, they just changed to reporting subs only instead of subs and trials.

21. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

The links you provided show that Spotify do not generate the bulk of their revenue in the USA as you claimed.

37% subscribers in Europe
    32% USA and Canada (Mexico?)

European subs are same or higher than USA.
    Places such as Japan and Australia also pay this $10+ rate.

You gave details of subs in South East Asia being lower due to issues specific to that area.
    As a pointer, I am subscribed to Apple Music with EE, the first 6 months are free. However, I am not on a free trial. I am subscribed and unless I cancel before 22th March, I will start paying £9.99 a month.
    Looking into my EE account add ons, the term "trial" is not used in relation to my Apple Music subscription.
    However, I got 3 months free trial of BTSport casting, which specifically used the term "free trial".

22. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Yeah that's similar to what I mentioned here with Verizon.

23. ddantzler, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

ddantzler macrumors newbie

ddantzler

Recently switched from Apple Music to Spotify, because I have some Echo devices and Fire TV Sticks. Previously had Apple TVs, but wanted to control the Fire TV with the Echos. Apple Music was perfectly fine, and in my opinion better, but since there is no app for my Fire TV and no app for my Xbox I made the switch.

I really miss the following from Apple Music on the iPhone which is where I listen to the majority of music...

Lyrics! I mean come on Spotify, really what’s up with this Behind the Music ********?

Artist Top Songs... On Apple Music tap to view more and you’ll easily see the deeper tracks sorted by popularity for an artist that you search for. On Spotify you get the top 5 songs and good luck digging into the albums to find the others.

These aren’t enough to switch back to Apple Music yet, but if Apple Music starts making an app for the Fire TV stick then I definitely will.

Why not a HomePod? Because it’s inferior to the Echo on all counts except sound quality. I.e. Siri and HomeKit suck.

24. ZipZilla macrumors regular

Spotify is superior in every way to Apple Music. I get AM for free and don't like it. Spotify is just better.

Instead of trying to fix the terrible Beats Music product, Apple should have created their own. And they need to get rid of iTunes.

25. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I'm not surprised.

The streaming music market is still rather tiny when you look at the overall addressable market.

There might be 300 million people using Spotify and Apple Music... but there are BILLIONS of people who enjoy music.

Spotify will add new users. Apple Music will add new users. There's plenty of room for growth on both platforms.