Spotify Reaches 96M Paid Subscribers Compared to Apple Music's 'Over 50 Million'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2019.

1. BushySquirrel macrumors newbie

Not coming back to Spotify until they bring out Lossless Sound, the sound quality is absolutely ****.

2. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Well they have been running that £0.99 for 3 months deal over the past few months. I signed up just so I could use Spotify on my amazon echos whilst waiting for Apple Music to be be available on the echos in the UK. I won’t be renewing it when it runs out.

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

Furthermore, LaLa was a store meant to purchase music and was not a streaming service. And if Apple were somehow capable of buying them and getting past the legal loopholes, what about Tidal and Deezer? They may cost more but both blow Apple and Spotify out of the water.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2019 ---
    May I recommend Deezer or Tidal? Both are quality services and their library is the same if not larger than Spotify's.

4. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I’ve signed up for this promotion simply to use with my amazon echos as Apple Music isn’t available on echos in the UK yet. I won’t be continuing with the subscription at the end of the 3 months. My main subscription is Apple Music.
    Nothing wrong with iWork. I’d use it over Microsoft office.
    I don’t like Spotify’s UI. Never have done. Even back in the day before Apple Music when I had a free trial. I have a 3 month subscription which I purely use on my echos. I never go into the app because it’s a mess and I won’t be continuing with it when it’s finished.

5. BushySquirrel macrumors newbie

Yes I am with Tidal right now.

6. Zenithal macrumors 604

How do you find the loading? I didn't have much success with either them or Deezer, but I believe that was four or maybe five years ago now.

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I like using AM on iTunes a lot, primarily for downloading versions of long classical works for leisurely comparison over a period of months, say an opera or a set of symphonies or sonatas. In most cases I've been able to find in Apple Music the classical works by the performers I want to compare. I do that to decide which CD set I might like to purchase. I keep the AM on my laptop in a separate iTunes library since I regard those AM downloads as temporary and will rip to lossless any CD purchases I made based on them into one of my permanent libraries.

But, I'm way less fond in general (and with respect to Apple Music also) on iOS devices, and much prefer to refresh content on those from one or another of the separate iTunes libraries that contain my purchased music, regardless of genre. So I keep one iPod touch dedicated to streaming AM nonclassical works, and if I find something I really like, then I usually buy the AAC download into one of my iTunes libraries.

8. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

AM on the echo devices are half baked. Some features work some don’t. Not sure if it is cause of Amazon. Or Apple that it is not fully polished at this point.

9. lJoSquaredl macrumors regular

Not really surprised, Spotify offered 3 months for a buck end of last year, im sure a ton of people jumped on the deal to give it a try.

I actually got my 3 months of both Spotify AND Apple Music so I could compare. Both seem to have pluses and minuses, but i’d say spotify definitely wins on UI, discovering new music, and it seems to shuffle better.

10. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

tbh I've been listening to most of my music on regular youtube.com, with an adblocker and (as of recently) an extension to kill the "Continue watching?" popup. Loved iTunes for a long time, and I keep my favorites there, but YouTube has variety and is free.

11. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 65816

As an Apple Music user on iOS, are these features missing on Android on iOS?

Gapless playback
    Orientation to landscape
    Swipe across screen/album art to advance track

TIA

12. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I will have a look on my husbands phone this evening and let you know.

13. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 65816

For clarification :)
    The features are missing on Android Apple Music. I use Huawei P20 Pro

Are they available on iOS version (iPhone)?

14. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

No the features aren’t available on Apple Music on iOS.

15. BB8 macrumors regular

BB8

Apple offers the same promotion all the time. You can get three months of free Apple Music just by buying something at Best Buy.

16. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

Not surprising the Spotify numbers. From inception, Spotify played on most devices. They built apps for all the major players. Others like Apple much slower at expanding their base outside of their echo system. Secondly, Spotify has one mission, music. Apple, will let’s just say many.

I would expect them to be very competitive in product quality and numbers. If not, obvious.

17. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't a fan of Spotify's UI.

18. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 65816

But if you need to use the phone in landscape (on gym equipment etc) , the display is stuck in portrait and every thing is at 90 degrees. Great UI. Apple Music that is.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2019 ---
    Realy us quite incredible. All my Android music players have these functions , except Apple Music. I thought they would be on iOS but we're omitted from Android version for whatever reason. Thanks for checking.

19. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

The algorithms and curated playlists really are that many times better. Spotify somehow heavily invested in AI and it shows because it’s noticeable in the user experience IMO.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2019 ---
    The curation really makes the difference! I’ve been introduced to so many artists via suggested playlists and “release radar” etc. It’s uncanny. Apple Music is like Pandora in 2008.

20. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 65816

As I understand, music you play is checked against the play lists of all users and with people who are playing similar stuff to you, you get other music they are playing selected for your discovery or daily play lists.

The Apple Defence League will claim this is your data bring used or whatever, but it is all anonymous.

21. emembee macrumors regular

emembee

For classical music, I find AM better provided you enter the correct search phrases, not always obvious. Using the latest reviews in BBC Music and Gramophone (UK) I can decide what I want to listen to next, add to library and maybe purchase via iTunes. All very easy, though Spotify has edge over switching from one device to another and picking up where you left off. However, with my all Apple devices and the very good family membership it was the obvious choice, though I may reconsider Spotify If they bring back a special trial offer.

22. lJoSquaredl macrumors regular

I agree the Spotify experience is light years better and more user friendly. If Apple really wants to get into the services industry next they have a ton of work to do with iTunes/Apple Music/etc before they are competitive. The one saving grace is that its like $20 cheaper for the year if you go Apple Music and sometimes they have a slightly larger collection in a genre, so using Spotify for free and song shifting to paid Apple Music is somewhat of an option....annoying but doable. That just goes to show how much work Apple have ahead of em tho.

23. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

With the Spotify and Hulu bundle (with ad) you can't go wrong on the value. I do use a student discount for Apple Music now but I am almost done with school, may take a look at the bundle, I can deal with few ads for saving money and get Spotify.

24. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

But Spotify is already free on mobile, with ads, why would a bundle that you’re paying for still include ads?

25. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Yeah but I don't want free because it's limited. I want to choose songs I want to listen to, not shuffle play.