Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Spotify's Annual 'Wrapped' Feature Looks Back on Your 2020 Listening Habits

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify's annually hosted Wrapped experience went live today, offering subscribers a look back at their listening habits over the year.

Delivered this year via the mobile app and in a Stories-style format, the company's year-in-review offers a microcosm of your listening over the last 11 months, including top songs, artists, genres, and podcasts.

Users then move onto a short quiz where they get to guess their top songs, artists, and genres over the course of the year, before being revealed the results.

The site then provides "Your Top Songs of 2020", collected in one playlist, as well as a playlist titled "Missed Hits", which includes a selection of unplayed tracks released in 2020 that are "based on what you love", according to Spotify.

In addition, listeners in the U.S., UK and Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada can dig deeper into some of their top artists of 2020 in On Record, a mixed media experience that highlights your top 2020 artists.

As well as the Wrapped feature, Spotify this week released its Year in Music lists, which revealed that Puerto Rican rapper Bad Bunny was the service's most streamed artist globally in 2020, racking up 8.3 billion. Meanwhile, Billie Eilish was the most streamed female artist of the year, followed by Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande in spots two and three.

Apple Music provides users with its own year-in-review feature, called Apple Music Replay, although it's relatively paltry compared to Spotify Wrapped, offering listeners only a web page with a list of their most listened songs and artists, with accompanying playlists in the mobile app.

Article Link: Spotify's Annual 'Wrapped' Feature Looks Back on Your 2020 Listening Habits

otternonsense

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
If only it was as accurate as it is flashy. My algorithm/playback habits have been permanently ruined by just a couple of months of listening to sleep playlists. All of this could have been avoided if Spotify had taken heed to one of the ideas in its own forums (submitted in 2016) where a user can choose to exclude lists from their music taste profile. Alas, Spotify admins marked it as "not right now" (aka. not ever). I haven't listened to a relaxation/sleep playlist since August and my Discover Weekly is yet to change back to something reminiscent of what I enjoy listening to, and I do listen to music all day. Go to hell, Spotify.

Last edited:
Comment

chris4565

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
According to Apple there's something similar available for Apple Music but when I click on the linked website (music.apple.com/de/replay) and sign in I just get a blank site. When I click on "Open in the Music App" the app opens, goes to the iTunes section and I get an error message. This completely breaks the iTunes section in the App (can't even load it if I go to another section and back) until I force quit the app. Well, looks like this doesn't work at all.

Comment

sdz

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
According to Apple there's something similar available for Apple Music but when I click on the linked website (music.apple.com/de/replay) and sign in I just get a blank site. When I click on "Open in the Music App" the app opens, goes to the iTunes section and I get an error message. This completely breaks the iTunes section in the App (can't even load it if I go to another section and back) until I force quit the app. Well, looks like this doesn't work at all.
Apple basically copies everything from their competitor spotify.

Comment

cateye

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
What, 30-odd messages into this thread and not one person pounding sand about preferring to "own" music and casually dropping a factoid about their environmentally-controlled vinyl cellar and tube headphone amp ("It's from Belgium, of course.")

We're off our game, friends.

Comment

confusedpurple

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2018
DELETE THIS ACCOUNT
Glad I stuck with Spotify. I gave AM another shot when Apple One started up and its still a hot mess. The UI is utterly awful, playback unpredictable and overall just a bad experience.

Spotify is FAR from perfect however, their dated mac app with its broken shuffle still ends up being better though.

Reactions: sdz
Comment

countryside

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2016
Lol, same for me on Safari. But, it works in chrome. HA!

Also... I want Apple Podcast Replay... please.

Reactions: chris4565
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.