Spotlight Index Rebuilding for Days - OS X 10.4.11

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hppenterprises, Jun 5, 2008.

1. hppenterprises macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,

For some reason, Spotlight quit working, and I took the recommendation to rebuild the index.

The index was properly deleted, but now Spotlight is trying to build a new index, and it's taken 4+ days. Granted, my laptop is not on 24/7, but it's open and in use for at least 6-7 hours straight ... it shouldn't take 4+ days, should it?

It says:
    Spotlight will be availble as soon as the contents of your computer have been indexed.
    Indexing Computer ... calculating time.

I have 101GB on the disk, so it's a large disk ... but I don't think it would take this long .. .not sure what else to do. Spotlight is critical for searching PO's and order information in my email boxes, and need it bad.

Thanks,
    Fred

2. installingcats macrumors newbie

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Open Activity Monitor and check CPU usage. There are two tasks related to Spotlight: "mds" and "mdimporter". When you do nothing else, they should have say 20 to 50 percent of CPU usage, and there should be nothing else. So if you don't find them, then Spotlight isn't actually indexing anything, so it won't work. In that case I'd recommend restarting your computer and see what happens.