Spotlight Search Sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 262Runnr, Jun 17, 2009.

1. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

Just upgraded to 3.0.
    What is the point of Spotlight search if it won't search for content in Appointment??? Heck...old HP PDA did that 6 years ago....Comon' Apple..grrr!

2. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

What is Appointment? You mean the Calendar? Cause that does show up.

3. jhkaplan macrumors regular

I just want it to search within a contact so I can use it as a quick dial. Right now it will just bring up the contact card, which you then open, and choose the phone number. I wish spotlight would just display the phone numbers and emails so you can quick launch the phone or mail.app. That's my biggest frustration with spotlight.

4. adampol15 macrumors member

adampol15

They don't have Spotlight, they complain....
    When they get Spotlight, they complain...

Is it so hard to just be happy with the fact that you are the consumer of a company like Apple, which unlike Windows, actually cares about soothing their consumers' wants/needs?

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I assumed Spotlight would have searched the body of emails in Mail too -- but it only searches the To/From/Subject fields.

That's almost useless.

Walt Mossberg mentions this as a downside of Spotlight -- pretty weak:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124525573550923759.html

6. 262Runnr thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

I am searching for a specific phrase in an appointment in my Calendar. I typed it letter for letter and it won't show up...

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I don't have 3.0 (still stuck at work), but does it need time to index possibly?

8. mkwomble macrumors member

i disagree, if apple dont do something right then as consumers we have a right to moan about it, we dont just agree with everything they do.

Considering windows based PDA's had universal search i think bashing windows is just a cheap apple get out clause when clearly apple have not done what they said they were going to do.

it is frustrating that you cant bring up numbers quickly but im sure ill live too!

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Nope:

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya, that's rough.

What about 'comments' on MP3s - are those searched? Or notes on a contact? Any of that kind of "meta" data?

11. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Bummer.

I am guessing the same holds true for Spotlight search.

It probably only searches the title of the calendar event and not the other fields.

12. 262Runnr thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

II don't know but I hope so.
    Anyway I installed 3.0 about 1/2 hour ago...sync'd to iTunes and syn'd again. Everything seems OK except that scrolling through calendar seems to be lagging somewhat.
    I do have 10 years of Calendar appointments which I have entered in my phone but I only searched for a phrase in an appointment from 6 months ago and it won't come up.

13. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Windows is an operating system, so you're right, it doesn't care for people's feelings. Assuming you mean Microsoft, that is ignorant of you to say. People like you give people who enjoy Apple products a bad name. You would purchase anything that Apple puts out even if it is the same exact thing as a Microsoft product, but worse. Learn to make some decisions on your own for once and stop listening to the "kewl" I'm a Mac commercials. By the way, I use both Microsoft and Apple products because I think they both excel in different areas.

14. Shag88 macrumors member

Wow, that's horrible. Talk about missing the boat...

15. bob vansteel macrumors regular

Actually apple is quite the contrary...they do whatever the heck they want when they want! All with money as their primary goal, not what people want. Heck they could have made the iPhone 3GS suck in comparison to the old 3G and still made millions.

I'm no apple hater or fanboy, but that is just how it is...

16. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

And the 'impossible to please' emerge from the woodwork once more.

17. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

Look at your iPhone settings to determine if you're synching that far back in time.

(It might be obvious, but on this forum, nothing should be taken for granted.)

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

As do the blind fanboys, apparently.

The whole point of Spotlight when it was introduced in Tiger was searching within files by having a pre-created index that is consistently added to. It is a terrific idea and is wonderfully implemented in Tiger and Leopard.

But calling the search feature on iPhone OS 3.0 "Spotlight" is extremely misleading. It should just be called Search.

I'm extremely surprised by this...but maybe all that power-hungry indexing is just too much to ask of current mobile phone hardware.

19. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

If you read the description that has been on Apple for quite some time now, it states EXACTLY what it does and doesn't do:

20. 262Runnr thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

HaHa... maybe the lacking "Spotlight Search" feature is a good thing.
    I know some people who would probably be interested in creating a really good search app for the iPHone...this might be some incentive for them...apparently Apple can't seem to do it.

21. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, you're right. I didn't think I had to read up on what Spotlight was at Apple's web site (apparently they've changed the meaning though ;))

Would you even attempt to argue that "Spotlight" hasn't become synonymous with searching metadata and the contents of files?

All I'm saying is that they shouldn't call it Spotlight since it is so markedly different than Spotlight on our Macs.

22. leandromp macrumors regular

I don't really like Spotlight Search on my mac and now is on my iPhone! grr!

I got used to press the Home button and go straight to the first page of apps, now it goes to Spotlight! LORD!!

23. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

That's like saying Apple shouldn't call Safari on the iphone Safari because the one on a Mac has flash.

24. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

? Pressing once goes to the first page... pressing it ON the home page goes to spotlight.

25. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That's a terrible analogy.

The crux of Spotlight is its ability to search within files/metadata. The crux of Safari is its ability to render web pages (not simply play Flash content as you suggest).

Searching within files is to Spotlight is NOT as Safari is to playing Flash content.

Again, I'm not trying to be confrontational. I understand the limits of battery life and the CPU probably have a lot to do with the fact true Spotlight won't be around for a least a little while on the iPhone.

The iPhone-wide search is a great addition to 3.0, and I'll probably use it a lot. But by calling it Spotlight, Apple made me think that it would function like the Spotlight we've all grown accustomed to.