Spotlight so powerful it can't find my apps

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by MDTyKe, Sep 20, 2017.

1. MDTyKe macrumors regular

I always type the first one or two letters of an app in Spotlight, eg: "Sp" would bring up Spotify.

Spotlight now seems completely incapable of finding my apps unless I fully type out the name, eg "Spotif" yields no results but "Spotify" does.

I really want this back. If this is a bug this is beyond a sloppy release...

2. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Works for me. I type sp, and get maybe 5 suggestion and right beneath that there's a "widget" that's called apps. All apps listed contained the letters sp, including Spotify as first option. Try restarting your device if you haven't tried that yet.

3. ANDJOE macrumors regular

ANDJOE

Just a bug. I assume since you took the time to write in this form that you also reported this to Apple?

4. MDTyKe thread starter macrumors regular

Reported to Apple throughout several betas. "Bug" exists on iPad as well as iPhone...

5. Benz63amg macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

same problem here and this is driving me insane, i dont think this is a bug as this happens on all 5 iOS Devices we have at home, it seems like they changed the way spotlight works and its absolutely terrible

6. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Totally on-topic here (sorry mods):

Do you own a C63 AMG?

7. Benz63amg macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

I used to but no longer unfortunately, Why? I run the largest C63 AMG Page on Facebook to this day As well as the largest AMG Owners Club on Facebook.

8. twdawson macrumors regular

twdawson

It does not find any of my excel files I have. iOS 10 search worked fine.

9. Benz63amg macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

They completely broke the spotlight search feature in iOS11 wtf is this ughh

10. ANDJOE macrumors regular

ANDJOE

Family, this is just a bug. An annoying one for sure. Please report it to Apple and you can have a hand in getting it back!

11. Benz63amg macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

How do you know it’s a bug? Maybe that’s how spotlight search works now? (Must type full app name in the search bar)

12. Solver, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

Solver macrumors 6502a

Spotlight needs to do indexing to work. What is indexed is controlled through Settings. Indexing take some time to complete. It should always be complete if the phone is charged overnight. Sometimes something goes wrong and it does not complete (bug.) There are a number of reasons for this but since apple does not provide statuses of the many processes running inside the iPhone so it’s difficult to figure out. A hard reset can restart the indexing. You can also troubleshoot by using Settings to temporarily set the one category you’re looking for and setting all of the others ones off. Apple makes this very difficult to do.

The iPhone is a very complex computer. Imagine the iPhone with a user accessible system status page. Apple would save multi-millions in support costs. Customers would save time.

13. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

I don’t have the issue so I can’t test it but that’s traditionally been the easiest way on macOS to reset it. Disable it and switch it back on. Probably work here too.

14. MDTyKe thread starter macrumors regular

Ah yes, this must be a "new feature". You must type in the entire app name in order to find it on Spotlight.

I reported this bug to Apple a month ago on the beta. It still exists. There is no way to 'reset' Spotlight as far as I can tell.

15. Benz63amg macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

i found a workaround this guys, under SIRI and Search, disable suggestions in search and suggestions in look up, now when you type the first few letters of an app you want to quickly launch its usually right there when you start typing the first few letters

16. twintin macrumors 6502

Works for me. I just typed sp an there it is, Spotify. Not sure what the difference may be between my iPad your devices (possibly a setting I would guess). Have you checked e.g. under Siri&Search to se if something has been disabled ? I also did a clean install when updated to iOS if that makes any difference.

17. ventmore macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you need to disable them? Mine are both enabled, and I have no problems at all searching for apps.

18. Benz63amg macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

I would like to keep these 2 features enabled but the only way spotlight search properly works for me is with these 2 settings disabled, I don’t want to type the full name of the app every time I want to quickly launch an app

19. ventmore macrumors 6502a

So it’s definitely a bug that only some are experiencing then.

67FD9A08-C8F8-4EAF-B8AE-DDF7C8BA83C5.jpeg 0F61186B-871B-49A7-9F09-53A9AE0BB9A6.jpeg

20. Benz63amg macrumors 68030

Benz63amg

iOS 11.0.1 was just released and this problem is still present, So this is not a BUG as some users above were trying to portray it as, Spotlight search is literally broken

21. ventmore macrumors 6502a

But it works fine for some and not others, so it’s not completely broken......it’s buggy.

22. twintin macrumors 6502

If it was, it would not work for anyone. But that certanly does not seem to be the case. 11.0.1 only fixes one thing and that is an exchange server issue.

23. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

Works perfectly for me. Type in one letter get all possible apps plus contacts that begin with the letter.

24. dekadent macrumors member

dekadent

Have you turned on both "Suggestions in Search" AND "Siri and Search Suggestions" in the Spotify entry itself in the long list of apps that follows?