Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eljimberino

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
As is the nature of internet forums, many people speak in extremes.

Furthermore, many of us will only pipe up if there is an issue or problem.

This thread is for those of us to share their love of the rMBP's.

All you have to do is say "YES" in a post. Say you love it. Say what you love about it. There is more than the screen that is awesome. In my opinion, they are the best laptops ever made.

This way those of us who are on the fence about making the purchase no longer can feel so reluctant or put off by the naysayers and trolls.

YES!

Rocketpaul

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
London
YES, I like the exquisite build quality and the immaculate screen. i spend 99.9% of my 'computer time' looking at the screen (0.1% looking at the keyboard) and so the retina display is greatly appreciated.

I Also like the hdmi addition which as already come in very handy

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've had my Maxed out 13" for 16 hours now, and that screen is simply fantastic. I deliberated about the 15" but wanted a smaller form factor Mac...I'm not going to regret my choice....the level of detail in images and the clarity of text is excellent. I chose to max out the CPU and RAM and went with a 512GB SSD...simply a powerhouse in a small case....only thing I dislike is the new MagSafe cord, but that's a minor thing really. I'd recommend the 13" to anyone...it will be used for photo and video work, so it's going to earn its keep too.:)

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Love the cooling channels that prevent throttling. Love the speakers, and the thinness, and the weight. Love the SSD and the roomy RAM. Love the stiff hinge. Love the HDMI. Love the option to simulate 1920x1200 on a 15" screen.

Don't love the Safari flickering.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2012
I love mine too. The only problem I have is keeping the drool off it.

I don't understand all the comments about image retention, getting hot, etc, etc.

It was the same when I bought my iPad, people were complaining that it was getting too hot to hold!? Never had a problem with that, either. Bizarre.

Back to the rMBP, though - I LOVE the screen. I really notice the difference. MeBird and MeDad looked at it and didn't appreciate it, but I don't care, because I do and that's all that matters to me.

And the speed! This thing is so fast, it's finished stuff before I even started it. I couldn't believe how fast it did the Europe wide maps on MeSat Nav. Last time on a Sony Vaio it took 6 hours to 'prepare' the maps, and 5 hours to install them. This baby did it in 10 and 10 minutes. 20 minutes!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! Still can't.

So light, so sturdy. MeBird has MeOld Vaio now, and when I used it the other day it felt so flimsy it frightened me. A bit like holding a baby with a wobbly head. That scares me, too.

I'm in love.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Yes, I'm very contented with my 15" rMBP :), it's hands down my best Mac ever! :apple:
Amazing screen, very fast indeed, runs silent and cool (and I live in the carribean!), good sounding built-in speakers and sturdy quality build.
I Just love photo editing on this machine, all the visible detail!

I had no issue at all, yet, and do hope so that it'll stay that way ;).

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
i have a new retina macbook 13" coming from an old white macbook. the screen on the rmbp is fantastic. so easy on the eyes and natural looks. i love it. it's how every screen should be.

Modernape

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Watching 1080p movies on it is a revelation, coming from the previous MBP13 with only 800p - I'm amazed at the level of detail I was missing. I can now read articles or ebooks for hours at a time and not feel any eye-strain.

Robin Chung

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Netherlands
Retina Macbook definitely sets the bar and feels lightyears ahead. Everything is instant in a package so slim and portable, it's amazing! Only fault is perhaps the HD4000 and panel lottery only enthusiasts really know about.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Great Thread for us Happy rMBP Owners!

Good thinking OP

The amount of happy owners far outweighs the amount of unhappy people out there,,,That's for sure!

I for one love my 13in rMBP, had it a few weeks now and have to say it's the best laptop that I've ever owned.

Screen is hands down the best I've seen, the battery life is fantastic, the size and weight are perfect for me, build quality is very good, and all in all it's just a dream to use on a daily basis.

Yes there are people out there that run into issues, that happens with every single piece of tech available today...However IMO I haven't come across a better machine yet. My advice to someone looking for a great lap top, give the Retina Macbook pro a look, in the long run you won't be disappointed.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Love my 13" 3.0! Love really describes it. As a computer engineer i work with a computer for many,many hours a day.

This one is just too nice to be true. People out there thinking to buy one - just do it!

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
It's a computer, I like it enough I guess. You seem a bit over the top to me.

Do you actually own one? Or just familiar with them via playing with them at a retail store? Just curious...because in 30 years of computing...I can honestly say it's the absolute Best computer I've had the pleasure of owning.

To the OP---an absolute YES!!!

My wife and I each own the 15" models...and both of us are in our 40s. We both use reading glasses...but with the rMBP, it's unnecessary for me to use my glasses. The speed of the SSD, USB3, 2x TB, and HDMI with the SD card reader (I know the 'classic also has a couple of these options available)...and the sound, unreal for a laptop!!! Excellent cooling system, inaudible fans--the horsepower is equivalent to my '09 Mac Pro---and the display, simply outstanding!!! The build quality, the weight (I'm used to the 17" models which I've owned since '05), and can I say it again?? The speed of everything...absolutely amazing.

Yes...I've had a quirk (LG display showed the IR after 4 months) that Apple immediately and without hesitation--replaced overnight with a Sammy display. Excellent customer service as always.

I find it extremely hard to believe any of the naysayers in so many of the posts are valid complaints. It's absolutely NOT a Version 1 model. Apple has been making SSD only models for a few years now (Air)...as well as CD/DVD driveless laptops. They've been making excellent laptops for decades now. The ONLY difference with this model is the display. Obviously Apple is aware of the issue or it wouldn't be so easy for those of us with the IR development to get a replacement display. IMHO, this is the only 'V1' part of the computer....everything else is evolutionary on the laptop front. There just isn't anything wrong with this computer...nothing. I've no complaints, no issues with the so called 'lag' in Safari...no weird fan spin ups, none of it--and again, we've got two of them.

I do believe they will continue to refine the rMBP...but I couldn't be happier. To have the power the rMBP has in such a small package is truly revolutionary. Apple's experience with 'retina' products began with the iPhone 4---to the iPad 3, now the laptops. It's a bit tough for me to go back to playing with my 11" Air or my iMacs.

One incredible way to side by side compare the difference in resolution is the App Store. It's always been silly to me that you can't increase the font size while in the Mac App Store...and the size (10 point?) of text shows how pixelated the non-retina screens are. On the rMBP---no need to zoom or increase font size. It's immaculate and sharp and very easy to read even though it's small text. If you're on the fence and you're able to compare models, this is one of the easiest ways to see the 'difference' between models. Open the App Store on a cMBP and rMBP and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Less than a year after release, a ton of the programs, sites and browsers have been updated to support HiDPI monitors. That's another very cool deal. I use the Adobe suite extensively---and the ability to 'see' my pics and vids in high detail yet not sacrificing real estate is a huge positive. It's definitely an exciting time to be a 'tech nerd'!!!! I wish I could shave a couple decades of my life off...just to see where technology takes us over the next half century:)

Awesome Computer. No complaints...and I will buy the Haswell model when it's released. We are right now considering replacing all of our business iMacs with rMBPs...and when the newer models drop, we'll be able to get an excellent deal on the current models, whether second hand or refurb units.

Thanks for the thread OP. It's about time I can read through an entire thread without the ignorant bashing of 'non' owners or envious folks (knock on wood, I'm sure they're coming;))

J

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
It's a computer, I like it enough I guess. You seem a bit over the top to me.

Don't rain on the OP's parade. If it was "just a computer", you probably wouldn't have an account on MacRumors commenting in the forum.

To the OP, YES! 13" rMBP purchased 2 days after launch last October. The screen amazing. The SSD, while small (I went with the 128GB base) is super fast, and 8GB of RAM is perfect for me.

I just want a new Thunderbolt Display for the times I'm sitting at a desk. 13" is great for the couch, but not ideal while sitting at a desk for a long time.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
absolutely LOVE mine. This is the fastest lightest thinest laptop i have ever owned. I just got the my second retina last week. I have the SanDisk SSD and have had NO problems with the fans. This thing is a beast. The screen lets me read and work without eye fatigue. This is the best laptop Apple has put out.....

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Like mentioned, the battery life is the icing on the cake for me
The 2011 MBA 11" I owned previously would of been dead and unable to post this response

I opted for the 13 over the 15 for the smaller footprint and portability

Everything Retina from here on out...that's for sure
Good thing I do all my work on my own personal computers ;)

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Do you actually own one? Or just familiar with them via playing with them at a retail store? Just curious...because in 30 years of computing...I can honestly say it's the absolute Best computer I've had the pleasure of owning.

To the OP---an absolute YES!!!

My wife and I each own the 15" models...and both of us are in our 40s. We both use reading glasses...but with the rMBP, it's unnecessary for me to use my glasses. The speed of the SSD, USB3, 2x TB, and HDMI with the SD card reader (I know the 'classic also has a couple of these options available)...and the sound, unreal for a laptop!!! Excellent cooling system, inaudible fans--the horsepower is equivalent to my '09 Mac Pro---and the display, simply outstanding!!! The build quality, the weight (I'm used to the 17" models which I've owned since '05), and can I say it again?? The speed of everything...absolutely amazing.

Yes...I've had a quirk (LG display showed the IR after 4 months) that Apple immediately and without hesitation--replaced overnight with a Sammy display. Excellent customer service as always.

I find it extremely hard to believe any of the naysayers in so many of the posts are valid complaints. It's absolutely NOT a Version 1 model. Apple has been making SSD only models for a few years now (Air)...as well as CD/DVD driveless laptops. They've been making excellent laptops for decades now. The ONLY difference with this model is the display. Obviously Apple is aware of the issue or it wouldn't be so easy for those of us with the IR development to get a replacement display. IMHO, this is the only 'V1' part of the computer....everything else is evolutionary on the laptop front. There just isn't anything wrong with this computer...nothing. I've no complaints, no issues with the so called 'lag' in Safari...no weird fan spin ups, none of it--and again, we've got two of them.

I do believe they will continue to refine the rMBP...but I couldn't be happier. To have the power the rMBP has in such a small package is truly revolutionary. Apple's experience with 'retina' products began with the iPhone 4---to the iPad 3, now the laptops. It's a bit tough for me to go back to playing with my 11" Air or my iMacs.

One incredible way to side by side compare the difference in resolution is the App Store. It's always been silly to me that you can't increase the font size while in the Mac App Store...and the size (10 point?) of text shows how pixelated the non-retina screens are. On the rMBP---no need to zoom or increase font size. It's immaculate and sharp and very easy to read even though it's small text. If you're on the fence and you're able to compare models, this is one of the easiest ways to see the 'difference' between models. Open the App Store on a cMBP and rMBP and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Less than a year after release, a ton of the programs, sites and browsers have been updated to support HiDPI monitors. That's another very cool deal. I use the Adobe suite extensively---and the ability to 'see' my pics and vids in high detail yet not sacrificing real estate is a huge positive. It's definitely an exciting time to be a 'tech nerd'!!!! I wish I could shave a couple decades of my life off...just to see where technology takes us over the next half century:)

Awesome Computer. No complaints...and I will buy the Haswell model when it's released. We are right now considering replacing all of our business iMacs with rMBPs...and when the newer models drop, we'll be able to get an excellent deal on the current models, whether second hand or refurb units.

Thanks for the thread OP. It's about time I can read through an entire thread without the ignorant bashing of 'non' owners or envious folks (knock on wood, I'm sure they're coming;))

J

Well technically speaking, any computer 30 years from now is most likely going to be the "best" (compared to all previous choices).

Also, just curious as to why you would switch from iMacs to rMBPs for a business? It's no dispute that MacBook Pros are great machines, but most iMacs are more powerful than Apple's entire line-up (except *possibly* a Mac Pro, depending on how it's specced).

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
This is my fourth MBP. All previous machines were 17". This is my first 15" non-work issued machine. I was a little disappointed Apple did away with the 17" model--at first, and to be clear, my usage habits had to change a little bit. However, I am now officially a retina snob and make no apologies for it. After using the rMBP for a week, I instantly see the difference when I fire up the old work laptop. The weight difference on my lap is also quite noticeable over an extended period.

Now, I'd like to offer a backstory for those--like me--that like to tinker. I purchased my last 17" for Christmas 2011. First thing I did was open it up, added 8gb of ram, installed a Momentus XT hybrid in an optibay, and a Force GT 128gb as the OS volume. This was a spectacularly useful configuration. Speed of SSD, storage of a platter drive, and could care less about DVD. Fast forward a few months and I picked up my first iPad (iPad 3). I'm the father of 5 and all my kids and wife had iPads before me. Just couldn't justify a tablet while I had a MBA and an iPhone. Every time I picked one up at the store I was highly intrigued with the quality of retina, so I finally bought one.

When the rMBP came out I was torn. Do I give up my beloved customized 17" for a non-user upgradable machine with only 256gb ssd and 8gb ram for a smaller screen and lighter device? I decided to inspect my actual usage: 77gb used on the SSD, 300gb used on the Momentus. Most of that space on the platter drive was due to time machine (I backed up the OS volume to the local platter drive). My movies and music are all stored on a huge NAS box served by a Mac Mini. On top of that, I use the iPhone or iPad for music/movies. So storage turned out to be a non-factor. Just had to switch time machine backups to the time capsule. A year+ of accumulated data amounted to iPhoto library, apps, and working docs for a grand total of 77gb. No problem for a 256gb SSD.

Next, I looked at RAM. General day-to-day use showed free RAM hovering around 2-3gb. I checked the mini too: With server daemons and iTunes always on for streaming, I hover around 1-2gb free. So the two main concerns I had: RAM and Storage being non-configurable were non-issues when I inspected my actual use over time.

Finally, I mentioned I have lots of kids. When I thought about it, the 15" is nearly a perfect mash-up of my 13" MBA and 17" MBP. This let me take the final step of rolling down the 17" and MBA to the kids and eliminating the very last two MS devices in my house.

I've been fortunate (or thoughtful enough) to create a cloud based environment for music/movies removing some of the local storage demands of my laptops and the retina fit perfectly into my ecosystem. When I'm traveling I had plenty of space on the iPhone and iPad for movies/music. I now manage just one laptop for my personal use, MS is finally completely out of my house, and that screen.....

Gripes:
1) Visual stutter when scrolling. I think Apple could have/should have done better here. Yes retina requires some power but coming from buttery smooth 17" this is a drawback.

2) Sharp edges: My third unibody and the corners of the palm rest are still annoying. They know how to chamfer edges a la iPhone 5. Would it have killed them to make the retina slightly more plush by softening the palm rest edges?

3) Let me use whatever resolution I want without resorting to third party apps. 2880x1800 may be useless for reading, but let me be the judge of that.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
10-15 second boot up time.

That too! But the single most noticeable factor apart from speed ( which I knew would be there anyway ) V the MBA, is the text...I can read comfortably from a distance without using my glasses...I know that there will be certain situations when I change down the resolution, but for detailed photo work, this really does blow any other laptop I've ever owned out of the water....Today I'm going to rip a couple of movies on it just as a test...It's not going to beat my new iMac quad..But I'd be interested to see how it does.

One thing that puzzles me a little is the weight...Okay, I don't mean it's heavy per se, but there is a big difference between this and my MBA. I'm guessing there is a big heat sink in there under the fan ducts...Going to get super geeky and watch the ifixit tear down.:)

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Do you actually own one? Or just familiar with them via playing with them at a retail store?

I find it extremely hard to believe any of the naysayers in so many of the posts are valid complaints.

Is this your default reply to anyone with even slight criticism of the Retina model? "Oh, you probably don't even own it"

The retina MBP is a great computer, but its fair to say that it hasn't been without its share of teething problems, even now six months or so down the line.

For the record, I own both 13" and 15" models, and I'll even post a little picture for you when I get back from work just prove I really own them both.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
10-15 second boot up time.

Can't say I notice this, as I've booted it perhaps 8 or 9 times in as many months. But hardware wise it's the business. More power would be good, as this is a desktop replacement, but it's quick enough and very thin. Certainly was good enough to convert me to Macs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.