Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
You haven't given us much to go on. Did you generate the spreadsheet using Numbers or Excel? Numbers would require a save of the spreadsheet in .xlsx format while Excel should allow you to just send it.

Email would probably be your first choice for sending the file, does that not work for you?

Reactions: theSeb

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I have to send someone a spreadsheet that using windows what's the best way of doing this

Dude seriously, how are we meant to answer that when you’ve given us absolutely sweet FA to go on. As the post above mine says you need to give a lot more information.

I promise I’m not meaning to sound rude but you’ve got to start giving more details in your posts. I’m not the only one who has said this either so please don’t think I’m having a go. But you need to help us to help you.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
You really need to say what application you are using and what application you want to send to as has been pointed out but assuming you are using Numbers and you want to know how to convert it to Windows without you knowing what they are going to open it with, then the share menu is your friend.
You find the little share icon at the top of the address bar- it's like a little square with an arrow on it- and when you click on that you'll find a variety of formats it will convert it to and then you can choose to send it by email or message etc.
The surest would be .pdf as almost anything should be able to deal with that.
But really, it's just a guess what you mean from your initial question.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have to send someone a spreadsheet that using windows what's the best way of doing this

If you are still using Excel like you mentioned in this other thread, you can just save the Excel file to your Desktop or where ever, then email it as an attachment.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
Not using Excel I have to send someone a spreadsheet I should have said that is going to be receiving it on window pc with excel but I'm not sure the best way to convert it.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I'll repeat my first question - how are you generating this spreadsheet?

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
That's what I want to find out because as I said I don't have Excel and or any other spreadsheet program so I'm looking for one I can generate it in and convert it

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Excel, OpenOffice, Google Sheets, Numbers. All can generate spreadsheets and save in an Excel-compatible format, but you have to be sure to save in that format.

By the way, this:
I don't have Excel and or any other spreadsheet program so I'm looking for one I can generate it in and convert it
was the information we needed.

I don't recall seeing this in one of the earlier posts in this thread, so this is confusing:
as I said

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
You said, ‘I have to send someone a spreadsheet that using windows what's the best way of doing this’

You didn’t say that you didn’t have a spreadsheet and did not know how to create one. Excel can read comma separated files, which have an extension of .csv

you can then just type stuff like
john, 1, 23
mark, 7, 45

Voila! You have created a spreadsheet.

The easiest way to create such a file would be to use the terminal and open vim. vim is a very intuitive editor so it will be the best to create such a file with all the information. Save the file in vim as spreadsheet.csv and exit vim. Then you can just download a cloud service such as Dropbox. Copy the file into your public / shared folder and right click on the file. You’ll get an option to generate a link to the file.

Now paste that link into an iMessage and send it to the person.

That would be the best way in my opinion.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I have to send someone a spreadsheet that using windows what's the best way of doing this"

First, ask them WHICH APPLICATION they're going to use to open the file you send them.

You need to know that before you send it, so you can send what you create in a format that they can open.

Next, tell us WHICH APPLICATIONS you have.

Do you have "Numbers"?
Do you have "MS Office/Excel"?

I'm going to take a GUESS that the Windows person will probably be using Excel to open it.
If YOU use Excel, just save it in regular format and send it.

If YOU use Numbers, use the "file/export to/excel" option to convert it.

If YOU are using one of the free office apps (NeoOffice/LibreOffice/etc.), then use the "Save As" option to save it as an Excel formatted file.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
@gw0gvq , Hi I created a short < 2 minute screencast 'tutorial' on how to convert a Numbers spreadsheet to Excel and then email that to your Windows User.

I chose Apple's Numbers spreadsheet as it is simple to use and free for Mac users, and it is relatively straightforward to export to Excel format for simple spreadsheets.

Numbers conversion works pretty well with simple 'one tab' spreadsheets and tables to Excel. If you plan to do anything more complicated then you are probably better off signing up to Office 365, which is Microsoft's subscription office suite for proper compatibility with your Windows friend. Office 365 has Mac versions of the main office Apps, including Excel.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
@gw0gvq , Hi I created a short < 2 minute screencast 'tutorial' on how to convert a Numbers spreadsheet to Excel and then email that to your Windows User.

I chose Apple's Numbers spreadsheet as it is simple to use and free for Mac users, and it is relatively straightforward to export to Excel format for simple spreadsheets.

Numbers conversion works pretty well with simple 'one tab' spreadsheets and tables to Excel. If you plan to do anything more complicated then you are probably better off signing up to Office 365, which is Microsoft's subscription office suite for proper compatibility with your Windows friend. Office 365 has Mac versions of the main office Apps, including Excel.

James,
Any problems sending Numbers spreadsheets to Excel users if the Numbers sheet has lots of cells with 'comments'?
Thanks....

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
James,
Any problems sending Numbers spreadsheets to Excel users if the Numbers sheet has lots of cells with 'comments'?
Thanks....

Just did some testing, comments appear to export fine from Numbers to Excel.

Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 22.11.34.png

Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 22.12.10.png

Reactions: Blowback
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.