Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Seriously. I don't get how Verizon is so far behind not just one service that has it, but basically all the top ones that it competes against that have it now and are enhancing and improving it.
They said by mid 2015. I'd be surprised if they even roll it out. It's embarrassing how long they took to enable simultaneous voice and data on the iPhone.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They said by mid 2015. I'd be surprised if they even roll it out. It's embarrassing how long they took to enable simultaneous voice and data on the iPhone.
Well, they needed LTE for that since CDMA wasn't compatible (and they didn't go down the path of having an EVDO set up that would support it without much extra hardware on the phones). But, yes, there's certainly that too, at least they have it now with LTE (although even that took them some time).

It just seems odd that given all the other players already rolled their versions out that Verizon would be on the sidelines when they clearly want to compete and yet not doing anything about it for so long.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Has anyone that has Google Voice Carrier integration tried to enable WIFI calling?

The prior version of WIFI calling required you to dump Google Voice Carrier Integration before enabling WIFI calling. It is a deal breaker for me. I am hoping that BOTH services can run side by side...

:)

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
So TLDR version of this article = The carrier wars continue lol

Is the enhanced WiFi Calling advertised by Sprint is better than other carrier because of the word enhance?

Apparently then again carriers love adding the word enhanced to gain an edge on the competition and lure in customers. Maybe next Enhanced Messaging? ( texts, video, picture, IM , multimedia messaging etc )

Seriously. I don't get how Verizon is so far behind not just one service that has it, but basically all the top ones that it competes against that have it now and are enhancing and improving it.

Ah but remember Verizon thinks they are the best carrier ever that can do no wrong and they are the best thing since sliced bread lol

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So TLDR version of this article = The carrier wars continue lol

Apparently then again carriers love adding the word enhanced to gain an edge on the competition and lure in customers. Maybe next Enhanced Messaging? ( texts, video, picture, IM , multimedia messaging etc )

Ah but remember Verizon thinks they are the best carrier ever that can do no wrong and they are the best thing since sliced bread lol
I definitely know that's what they think, but it still makes them compete and match at the very least what AT&T is doing pretty much continuously (and vice versa with AT&T matching them), which is why this is quite odd given that AT&T has enabled this already and is enhancing it (not to mention the rest of the top carriers), and Verizon isn't even really giving an update related to it, let alone actually doing something about it.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Well I haven't been able to use wifi calling since I got my Apple Watch so I'm happy to be able to turn it on again!:D

Canta27

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
Cedar Park, TX
When you say...

Sprint users can access the new enhanced Wi-Fi calling feature by downloading iOS 9.1, watchOS 2, or OS X 10.11.1 on their devices and making sure Wi-Fi calling is enabled on an iPhone by going to Settings --> Phone --> Wi-Fi Calling. Other devices can be set up to receive calls by going to Settings --> FaceTime --> Calls from iPhone. All devices must use the same Apple ID and they must be signed into iCloud.

It should be...

Sprint users can access the new enhanced Wi-Fi calling feature by downloading iOS 9.1, watchOS 2.0.1, or OS X 10.11.1 on their devices and making sure Wi-Fi calling is enabled on an iPhone by going to Settings --> Phone --> Wi-Fi Calling. Other devices can be set up to receive calls by going to Settings --> Phone --> Calls on other devices. All devices must use the same Apple ID and they must be signed into iCloud.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I'd like to know how they're able to accomplish this. Since it still works when the phone is powered off, Apple must be storing the carrier information the user's Apple account so that the Macs and iPads associated with the account are able to call out when the phone is off.

I know Sprint phones are locked domestically but I wonder what happens if the phone is unlocked for international use and you go overseas and put an overseas SIM in the iPhone? Is the Mac/iPad still able to use Sprint's Wi-Fi calling with your U.S. phone number without needing the iPhone because it has done so previously? My guess is no because Sprint probably wouldn't allow that; but I don't see any reason why the Mac or iPad wouldn't be able to do so since they don't even need the iPhone to be turned on in order to make/receive calls now.

Simple, because like Apple explains when you first set up enhanced Wi-Fi calling, per carrier policies, it has to share your location so that you can be billed accordingly. I believe in this particular scenario it's a carrier policy thing. Also it doesn't work when your roaming on a network that isn't your carrier's.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
I'd like to know how they're able to accomplish this. Since it still works when the phone is powered off, Apple must be storing the carrier information the user's Apple account so that the Macs and iPads associated with the account are able to call out when the phone is off.

I know Sprint phones are locked domestically but I wonder what happens if the phone is unlocked for international use and you go overseas and put an overseas SIM in the iPhone? Is the Mac/iPad still able to use Sprint's Wi-Fi calling with your U.S. phone number without needing the iPhone because it has done so previously? My guess is no because Sprint probably wouldn't allow that; but I don't see any reason why the Mac or iPad wouldn't be able to do so since they don't even need the iPhone to be turned on in order to make/receive calls now.

Sprint phones are not locked donestically anymore just as long as the device is paid for. Get with the times.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Look at your phone settings. If you have iOS 9, it's already there.

I used it today, and I wasn't a beta tester.

So maybe I read the article wrong, and if I did please tell me! But I do have AT&T's wifi calling feature enabled. However, I interpreted this as similar to T-Mobile's iCloud Continuity feature, whereby your iPad/Mac rings even when your iPhone isn't connected to the same wifi network. As it is now, for AT&T customers, you need to have your phone on the same wifi network as your iPad/Mac in order for the calls to come through there too...right? Or am I missing something? o_O

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Yet AT&T doesn't allow it with 5S or even the 5C. Why not?

This has been explained several times in multiple threads relating to iOS 9 and WiFi Calling topics.

5 5C 5S and older lack the sufficient hardware and software combo needed to function flawlessly and precisely as intended with the way ATT has their WiFi Calling feature set up.

It requires use of HD Voice or VoLTE typically which the 5 5C 5S and older DO NOT Fully support.

Attempting to offer it on 5 5C 5S would kill the handoff function and result in steep increases in dropped calls which in turn would reflect far more poor on AT&T than simply saying they can't/won't do backwards compatibility beyond the 6/6P

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
This has been explained several times in multiple threads relating to iOS 9 and WiFi Calling topics.

5 5C 5S and older lack the sufficient hardware and software combo needed to function flawlessly and precisely as intended with the way ATT has their WiFi Calling feature set up.

It requires use of HD Voice or VoLTE typically which the 5 5C 5S and older DO NOT Fully support.

Attempting to offer it on 5 5C 5S would kill the handoff function and result in steep increases in dropped calls which in turn would reflect far more poor on AT&T than simply saying they can't/won't do backwards compatibility beyond the 6/6P
If so, it's a bit funny that Apple list these phones as capable.

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
If so, it's a bit funny that Apple list these phones as capable.

It should specify something along the lines of "Based on carrier compatility" or actually list what is compatible with what carrier if not Apple dropped the ball as far as updating goes.

It shouldn't be as if Apple doesn't know the compatility or lack thereof

5 = Minimal WiFi Calling on T-Mobile
( based solely on some people claiming they've gotten it to work with some difficulty )

5S/5C = Pretty Solid TMO some Sprint Support

6/6P/6S/6SP =
Pretty universal and all around solid WiFi calling support for carriers currently offering/supporting WFC

Reactions: BobZ521

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
That is interesting. I wonder if AT&T will treat smart watches, computers, and tablets that are using NumberSync as additional on-network devices and charge $5 per month per device for the "privilege" of those devices having direct access to AT&T's network without needing the phone? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they pull something like that. We'll have to wait and see.

Not true. If you have other LTE enabled devices, you can use a single number to send/receive calls and texts. There is no charge, other than the charge you already pay because you have the LTE device on the plan.

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010

This is not at all the same as AT&T's Numbersync. Numbersync lets you share a cell number between multiple LTE devices. This feature basically lets you share a cell number between multiple wifi only devices. Big difference.

I think this is also slightly different than iCloud/cellular Continuity that only T-Mobile has, because this only allows for calls/texts, and not any of the other normal continuity features. It doesn't seem like anyone has reported on iCloud Continuity since the early iOS 9 betas in June.

BobZ521

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
It should specify something along the lines of "Based on carrier compatility" or actually list what is compatible with what carrier if not Apple dropped the ball as far as updating goes.

It shouldn't be as if Apple doesn't know the compatility or lack thereof

5 = Minimal WiFi Calling on T-Mobile
( based solely on some people claiming they've gotten it to work with some difficulty )

5S/5C = Pretty Solid TMO some Sprint Support

6/6P/6S/6SP =
Pretty universal and all around solid WiFi calling support for carriers currently offering/supporting WFC

Not that I ever plan on switching back to Sprint, but I'm wondering if they will be supporting the 5s and 5c or if they will take the same approach as AT&T? I see no mention of supported hardware in the article.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
This is not at all the same as AT&T's Numbersync. Numbersync lets you share a cell number between multiple LTE devices. This feature basically lets you share a cell number between multiple wifi only devices. Big difference.

I think this is also slightly different than iCloud/cellular Continuity that only T-Mobile has, because this only allows for calls/texts, and not any of the other normal continuity features. It doesn't seem like anyone has reported on iCloud Continuity since the early iOS 9 betas in June.

Getting lost which provider we're quoting, but this feature (enhanced wifi calling) will be the same as t-mobile's. Turn your phone off, make a call with your iPad.
I can't see what the issue is with EE, aside from the really really cheap plans, everyone has unlimited minutes now (UK), don't they?

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Not that I ever plan on switching back to Sprint, but I'm wondering if they will be supporting the 5s and 5c or if they will take the same approach as AT&T? I see no mention of supported hardware in the article.

Good call on that.

Knowing Sprint I wouldn't expect much in the way of anything retroactive

Do you mean this article or an actual FAQ/Specs on an Apple help page?

If it's on Apples actual site again I say odd and get your head in the game Apple...

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
In the UK we have wi-fi calling on EE working for a while now.
However when I phone family it comes up INTERNATIONAL & they think its a sales call, so dont answer it.

Woukd be really interested if 9.1 apple watch owners in UK can make & recieve calls on watch without iphone on wi-fi?

cheers

Last edited:

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
In the UK we have wi-fi calling on EE working foe a while now.
However when I phone family it comes up INTERNATIONAL & they think its a sales call, so dont answer it.

Woukd be really interested if 9.1 apple watch owners in UK can make & recieve calls on watch without iphone on wi-fi?

cheers

There is a difference between wifi calling and enhanced wifi calling.
I'm on EE, iOS 9.1, WOS2.01 and my watch still can't make calls if my phone is off.

Odd the international thing; I don't get that when I ring from my phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.