Sprint iPhone 5s all images blurry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adamysu, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Adamysu macrumors member

I tried searching and couldn't find anything on this. Every app except Facebook the images appear very blurry or pixelated. (My news apps, craiglslist, the chive etc. ) I have a 16 gb 5s through sprint. I noticed it started doing this when I upgraded to iOS 7.1 I have deleted apps and re installed them. Reset all my network settings and nothing works. I have good LTE signal and just can't figure it out. If anyone has some insight to this I would really appreciate it. Thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. eyoungren, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Are you on one of the new plans (Framily, All In or MyWay)?

If so, you are probably victim of the following legalese…

http://www.sprint.com/legal/open_int...workmanagement

Quote:
    Does Sprint employ any type of data compression or optimization on the Sprint network today?
    Yes, Sprint deploys Network Optimization capabilities for video and web traffic on the Sprint Wireless Network. Intent is to improve overall user experience and increase network efficiency. Optimization improves page load times and reduces video stalling. The optimization technology eliminates wasted data transmission that results from lack of coordination between applications, network, and device, for example stopping transmission of video after a customer has stopped viewing it. It also matches media transmission quality to the capability of the device viewing the media. In addition, for customers on devices or plans subject to prioritization management, Sprint may limit streaming video throughput or put in place other prioritization policies as needed to ensure efficient use of network resources. These network management practices reduce network data tonnage, freeing up capacity for an overall better network experience for all Sprint customers.
    &

Quote:
    Image Compression: JPEG and GIF compression designed to reduce the size of images while maintaining no user perceptible loss of quality.

See here and here.

Basically what's happening is that to reduce network congestion Sprint is reducing the quality of any image or video on it's network. The reduction in quality is obvious.

Those of us on the old Everything Data plans do not have this contract legalese and thus the priority that the new plans reference (more fine print) refers to the old ED plans. Consequently, anyone still on an old ED plan does not have this problem.

4. Adamysu thread starter macrumors member

Yes it does it also on wifi.

----------

I have 5 lines on an old everything unlimited data plan. I will check my wife's phone when I get home from work. I'll give it another day and then I'm going to sprint, that's ridiculous if they are reducing my image quality. Although it wouldn't surprise me.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm…on an old plan? Interesting. The only thing I can say to that then is that one of the comments another poster had made in a thread I was in was that this started happening to him when he did a PRL update. Considering that this is the Sprint Customer Support "Holy Grail" to solving any and all problems and is their number one suggested action to anyone calling support, if this happens when you do a PRL update then Sprint has probably caught a lot of people.

I would imagine that some sort of network update ocurred when you upgraded to iOS 7. The fact that some Sprint iPhone users are reporting that updating to iOS 7.1 enables HD Voice would confirm that I think.

I've avoided PRL updates since hearing about this.

6. Adamysu thread starter macrumors member

It has to be some sort of data compression. Even the advertisements on the top and bottom of this site are blurry. I'm going to sprint when I get a chance and will ask them. I'm sure they will have no idea and tell me to go to an apple store. Which is an hour away. Overall everyone on my plan uses a minimal amount of data.

7. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Sprint compresses image files delivered over their network. They have been doing this for years.

8. Adamysu thread starter macrumors member

Yeah just weird that it started all of a sudden.

Haha this screenshot I uploaded on this post is even blurry now.

Attached Files:

9. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

In that screenshot you still have the little spinner going in the notification bar, making me wonder if the page wasn't finished downloading?

10. Adamysu thread starter macrumors member

Here is another screenshot I let load all the way from the chive.

Attached Files:

11. Adamysu thread starter macrumors member

It looks very low quality on every app except Facebook for some reason.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know what to say. I'm not affected at all by this. I'm jailbroken on iOS 6.1. Either it's Guizmo DNS (a tweak I have for faster internet) or the APN settings TetherMe sets. IDK.

At one of the other sites it was suggested to bypass Sprint proxy servers. But I can't see how to do that on iPhone as all the instructions I can find are Android specific. I gave up after a while though as again, this isn't affecting me.

13. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I am also not effected by this, all my sprint downloaded images look great

14. Adamysu thread starter macrumors member

Well I got home and connected to wifi and it seems to be getting better slowly. So that tells me that sprint is doing something with my data. Thanks everyone for all your help!! I'll be giving sprint a call in a few minutes. I'll post my results. Lol

15. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

If you haven't found out by now, Sprint sucks. Just what I've seen.

16. Adamysu thread starter macrumors member

17. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

speak for yourself, I and many other have great sprint service with great LTE service and enjoy not having to check your data usage every other day to stay within your "cap" limit.

18. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Do the pictures load up quickly in that quality or does it take forever just to have that come out? I wonder if your area is going through Network Vision and that is messing with it as well. That's strange it's happening even on Wifi as well though.

19. Adamysu thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys. Today it seems to be perfectly fine. Maybe they were upgrading the network around here. We have only had LTE for a couple months now. It is crystal clear now! I just hope it stays that way. Thanks for all your help!

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Interesting.

We've had LTE (Phoenix) since August 2013, but I've never had this happen. Two bars of sometimes completely useless, so far very weak signal, running at the speed 3G should be at LTE, but no blurry images.

21. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

that is really shady of sprint ... who would want this? if people really knew before they signed 2 year contracts i think they would be out of a lot of customers.

22. chrfr macrumors 603

23. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Yup I enjoy it too, I have great service here in Houston & I enjoy being able to watch netflix or stream pandora without worries.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's actually recent language. It was not there before the My Way and All In plans. I'm on an Everything Data 1500 Family plan so the language doesn't apply to me.

25. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx