Sprint iPhone 5s Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brandont, Nov 12, 2013.

1. brandont, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

brandont macrumors newbie

brandont

According to IMEI Info my phone is unlocked. It is a sprint 5s from apple website. Is this accurate and if so just a coincidence?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sprint iPhones are not unlocked. Several threads about it here.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Possible, yes. Likely no.

There have been a few reports of the 5s coming internationally unlocked. An international unlock is all Sprint will do for you. But you have to be a customer in good standing for 90 days and pay your bill on time before you can ask them for it. They do NOT, ever, unlock for domestic US use.

One person here reported the same as you. Thought it was domestic unlocked until he tried a different SIM. Turned out the site was only reporting that it was internationally unlocked or was in error.

Some people have managed to get unlocks because Apple did not have their model at the time they asked and to make good to the customer gave them an unlocked phone and then forced Sprint to activate it. But that's rare and probably not the case here.

See my signature.

4. brandont thread starter macrumors newbie

brandont

?

Wonder what it is in my case? How do I find out for sure? That website says its unlocked, but that normally means internationally unlocked only right.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The only way to find out for sure would be to test a SIM from another carrier. If it's unlocked domestically, it'll work. If not, it won't. It may still be unlocked internationally, but you'd need an international SIM to test.

Personally, I don't think much of websites like this when it comes to Sprint iPhones. Just my opinion.

6. brandont thread starter macrumors newbie

brandont

Thanks.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they are NOT unlocked.
    Sprint iphones are the least desirable and ones with the lowest resale values for that reason.
    That they're not unlocked and if you request an unlock from sprint its only unlocked for international GSM carriers outside the US only.

8. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Buying the phone directly from Apple you could have gotten Lucky and got an unlocked one. I bought my. 5c from Apple and it is unlocked. However as many has said Unlocked Sprint iPhones are scarce. However if you did order it from Apple and they did not have your model in stock it's possible they sent an unlocked one... I speak from experience