Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Sprint iPhone are you preordering this year?

• 6s 16GB

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • 6s 64GB

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • 6s 128GB

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • 6s Plus 16GB

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • 6s Plus 64GB

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • 6s Plus 128GB

Votes: 45 29.6%

• Total voters

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I can't be the only one preordering with Sprint...lol. My store told me today that preorders will be online, in-store, or available by calling Sprint directly.

Answer the poll above too if you're preordering with Sprint and reply with your color

BlueAquarian

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
It feels like yesterday on this site following the Sprint pre order delivery thread. We had it all down to a science. From the 6 and 6plus thread with Sprint last year don't order inside Sprint store. I ordered mine on their website.

I'm still enjoying my iphone 6 so I will keep it until 7 comes out next year. Good luck and Happy ordering!

Reactions: Blaqdymun

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It feels like yesterday on this site following the Sprint pre order delivery thread. We had it all down to a science. From the 6 and 6plus thread with Sprint last year don't order inside Sprint store. I ordered mine on their website.

I'm still enjoying my iphone 6 so I will keep it until 7 comes out next year. Good luck and Happy ordering!

I was with Verizon for the 6/6 Plus preorders and I just barely go through long enough to order a few iPhones. I'm hearing Sprint was a mess with preorders last year....I switched over for the iPhone Forever plan and the Cut your rate in half deal.

Reactions: RJEwing85

TheMacApple

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2015
Chicago
Sorta a newbie...been away a couple years
Anyway, anybody figure whats cheaper and or best as far as sprints iphone forever plan or the one apple brought up yesterday?...is applecare better than sprints insurance? I know sprint has a 200$ + per incident deductible. ....if theres another thread on this, could someone post a link...thanks

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was with Verizon for the 6/6 Plus preorders and I just barely go through long enough to order a few iPhones. I'm hearing Sprint was a mess with preorders last year....I switched over for the iPhone Forever plan and the Cut your rate in half deal.
Sprint was a mess last year (6/6+). Sprint was a mess before that (5s/5c). Sprint was a mess before that (5). Sprint could have been a mess with the 4s but I didn't have an iPhone that year.

The website caves every year on launch day within minutes. Unless you have an absolute need to use Sprint's website for preordering, I would stick with Apple's site which can link to your Sprint account/plan/details.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Sorta a newbie...been away a couple years
Anyway, anybody figure whats cheaper and or best as far as sprints iphone forever plan or the one apple brought up yesterday?...is applecare better than sprints insurance? I know sprint has a 200$ + per incident deductible. ....if theres another thread on this, could someone post a link...thanks

Well if you do the deal right now, the device with Sprint's plan is only $15 a month. Then if you upgrade (for free) to the 6s before the end of the year, you lock in the $15 a month pricing for another year. The $15 pricing is for the 16GB 6 and goes up 5 more dollars per model and GB size. So 6 Plus 16GB is $20, regular 6 64GB is 20, etc.

BlueAquarian

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015

Some people had problems but come to find out it was because of Apple. The orders wasn't shipping in. I didn't have problems with the 6. Matter of fact, I pre ordered 2 days before they went on sale and got mine in 3 weeks. People with the Gold and Space Gray 16 gb in 6 plus were having the most problems.

Go back and read that thread towards the end. I did a chart when everyone received there phone along with they preorder date, time and device. My old username is RollTideFanGrl

Reactions: batting1000

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Sprint was a mess last year (6/6+). Sprint was a mess before that (5s/5c). Sprint was a mess before that (5). Sprint could have been a mess with the 4s but I didn't have an iPhone that year.

The website caves every year on launch day within minutes. Unless you have an absolute need to use Sprint's website for preordering, I would stick with Apple's site which can link to your Sprint account/plan/details.

I remember I was with Sprint for the iPhone 5 launch...I preordered the 5 (albeit several days late) and ended up canceling the order because the status wasn't changing even after weeks. Reserved one at my Apple Store and got it within days.

Reactions: BlueAquarian

BlueAquarian

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
Well if you do the deal right now, the device with Sprint's plan is only $15 a month. Then if you upgrade (for free) to the 6s before the end of the year, you lock in the $15 a month pricing for another year. The $15 pricing is for the 16GB 6 and goes up 5 more dollars per model and GB size. So 6 Plus 16GB is $20, regular 6 64GB is 20, etc.

I purchased both. Sprint's plan is good for lost or stolen phone but damaged phone is good for Apple Care. Luckily, I haven't used Sprint's insurance, but Apple's twice.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
...is applecare better than sprints insurance? I know sprint has a 200$ + per incident deductible.
You get a one year standard warranty.

Applecare+ extends that warranty for one additional year and gives you two ADH (Accidental Damage and Handling) incidents. With an ADH, your self-damaged phone is replaced for $79. AC+ is a warranty so it does NOT cover theft or loss.

TEP (Total Equipment Protection) is Sprint's insurance. There is a deductible. TEP covers damage, theft and loss.

With TEP you deal with Asurion. You may get a refurb, it may be NIB. But if you do get a refurb do not expect Asurion to have used OEM parts or for it to be anywhere near the quality of replacement you get from Apple.

Apple refurbs are indistinguishable from new phones and go through a rigorous quality control process.

Asurion will always charge you the deductible. If you are out of warranty with Apple the price for screen replacement is less than $150 and the OoW (Out of Warranty) replacement cost is about $229.

All the way around, except for theft and loss, I would go with AC+.

I remember I was with Sprint for the iPhone 5 launch...I preordered the 5 (albeit several days late) and ended up canceling the order because the status wasn't changing even after weeks. Reserved one at my Apple Store and got it within days.
Yeah, last year Sprint preorders were waiting as long as two months for delivery.

I got my iPhone 5 on launch day too, but Sprint's site folded quick so I went to Apple. Glad I did because Sprint's site that year (2012) didn't even come back up until a couple of hours AFTER preorders were opened!

Last edited by a moderator:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Yeah, last year Sprint preorders were waiting as long as two months for delivery.

I got my iPhone 5 on launch day too, but Sprint's site folded quick so I went to Apple. Glad I did because Sprint's site that year (2012) didn't even come back up until a couple of hours AFTER preorders were opened!

A sprint rep in a live chat assured me there wouldn't be any major issues this time around, so we'll see how that goes. ;)

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A sprint rep in a live chat assured me there wouldn't be any major issues this time around, so we'll see how that goes. ;)
Well…Sprint reps say a lot of things. Most of them aren't true. Some are. Just depends on who you are speaking with and what day it is.

Don't always want to sound negative or down on Sprint, but I've been with Sprint for 16 years. You learn a few things about how they operate.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Well…Sprint reps say a lot of things. Most of them aren't true. Some are. Just depends on who you are speaking with and what day it is.

Don't always want to sound negative or down on Sprint, but I've been with Sprint for 16 years. You learn a few things about how they operate.

Yep, I was with them for awhile before moving to Verizon a few years ago.

Reactions: eyoungren

BlueAquarian

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015

Don't listen to them. They gave every one (at least 100)of us different lies. What I learned from being with Sprint for 15 years is they don't know anything. It all falls on Apple because they products goes directly to these places and they do't sit on them. The most reputable confirmation we received was from someone in that thread posted about UPS just delivered phones to their warehouse. It's a 3 party company Sprint uses to ship phones from Kentucky. That person let us know the times they ship everyday, what came in and what were there hours . We found out they during this time of the year everyone gets overtime because they work nonstop in pushing out the orders including weekends.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

I spoke with Sprint today and these are some of the "Facts" they gave me about iPhone Forever:

$15/mo (before Dec31) promo is only until you upgrade.
- So if you buy a 6 now and upgrade to a 6S in Jan you now pay $22/mo

iPhone Forever plan is a lease so you don't actually own anything after 24mo
- IF you want to buy the phone you simply pay the balance
- Due to very low Promo pricing then paying off phone is very expensive ($15 x 24mo = $360 meaning after 24mo of payments you still owe $290)

Easy Pay users can switch to iPhone Forever Promo
- iPhone Forever $15 promo requires turning in a phone. Even though you don't actually own an Easy Pay device you didn't pay off yet, you can still turn it in and get discount

$15 and $22 monthly rate is not guaranteed after first year
- Both of these rates are very competitive. So its entirely possible for Sprint to say "iPhone 7 for $30/mo" leaving you with no option but to pay off your leased device.

$5 more per Feature Tier
- $15 is for a 16GB 6S. 6S+ is $5 more ($20/mo), 6S+ 65GB is $5 more ($25/mo) etc
- 16GB is base model which is ridiculous on a 4k capable phone that does Harry Potter videopictures

Taxes. Fees. Activations.
- Just as before, taxes are taken off the entire product even though its just a lease and you'll never own it
- Activation Fee of $36 is required even though activation nowadays is automated and done online

For me, I have two Easy Pay iPhone 6+ which I pay $35/mo for (my balance is $460/ea). My Framily Plan gives me 3 options:

1) Upgrade phone for free and continue $35/mo
2) Keep 6+ and keep paying until I own it (just in time for iPhone 7)
3) Pay off phone ($460 balance) and sell. But with payment plans everywhere the used market may dry up
4) Switch to Easy Pay $15/mo and worry about how Sprint will screw this up later

To be honest, I don't know what I'll do yet because in the end I'm working hard for a fairly minor upgrade. But it does seem like what we thought was a good deal last year is no longer a good deal now.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I spoke with Sprint today and these are some of the "Facts" they gave me about iPhone Forever:

$15/mo (before Dec31) promo is only until you upgrade.
- So if you buy a 6 now and upgrade to a 6S in Jan you now pay $22/mo

iPhone Forever plan is a lease so you don't actually own anything after 24mo
- IF you want to buy the phone you simply pay the balance
- Due to very low Promo pricing then paying off phone is very expensive ($15 x 24mo = $360 meaning after 24mo of payments you still owe $290)

Easy Pay users can switch to iPhone Forever Promo
- iPhone Forever $15 promo requires turning in a phone. Even though you don't actually own an Easy Pay device you didn't pay off yet, you can still turn it in and get discount

$15 and $22 monthly rate is not guaranteed after first year
- Both of these rates are very competitive. So its entirely possible for Sprint to say "iPhone 7 for $30/mo" leaving you with no option but to pay off your leased device.

$5 more per Feature Tier
- $15 is for a 16GB 6S. 6S+ is $5 more ($20/mo), 6S+ 65GB is $5 more ($25/mo) etc
- 16GB is base model which is ridiculous on a 4k capable phone that does Harry Potter videopictures

Taxes. Fees. Activations.
- Just as before, taxes are taken off the entire product even though its just a lease and you'll never own it
- Activation Fee of $36 is required even though activation nowadays is automated and done online

For me, I have two Easy Pay iPhone 6+ which I pay $35/mo for (my balance is $460/ea). My Framily Plan gives me 3 options:

1) Upgrade phone for free and continue $35/mo
2) Keep 6+ and keep paying until I own it (just in time for iPhone 7)
3) Pay off phone ($460 balance) and sell. But with payment plans everywhere the used market may dry up
4) Switch to Easy Pay $15/mo and worry about how Sprint will screw this up later

To be honest, I don't know what I'll do yet because in the end I'm working hard for a fairly minor upgrade. But it does seem like what we thought was a good deal last year is no longer a good deal now.

Sprint's website says if you upgrade to the new iPhone before December 31, you keep the promotional pricing until the next iPhone.

As a special promotion, customers who get iPhone 6 and upgrade before Dec. 31 continue with the discount price of $15 until their next upgrade.

Keegsta

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015
New Mexico
So there's no way to preorder on Apple's website tonight if you want to use Sprint's Easy Pay plan, correct?

I really don't want to have to order from Sprint but I don't have a nearby Apple Store.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
So there's no way to preorder on Apple's website tonight if you want to use Sprint's Easy Pay plan, correct?

I really don't want to have to order from Sprint but I don't have a nearby Apple Store.

I asked a Sprint rep online yesterday if I could preorder from Apple if I'm on the iPhone Forever plan and they said it has to be done through Sprint.

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
Seems that way. Really sucks that it's Apple stores only. Probably don't have the infrastructure setup to support online at the moment and probably a casualty of secrecy.

They may have been able to do so if half of Apple didn't even know about it until the event. Funny how the rumor a while back that Apple may be an MVNO was this and goes to show there's often some truth to every rumor.

If say they will expand to online by the holidays if it happens this year and then the question becomes if u have to wait till the holidays next year to upgrade again.

Last edited:

EngenZerO

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Denver, CO
I have a question. If my wife is on one of these new mobile share plans. What does her line fee switch too if she chooses the Apple Upgrade Program (done through Apple that was announced the other day). She is at 15 right now. Would it stay at 15 because she is bringing her own device or will it increase to 40?

Last edited:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I have a question. If my wife is on one of these new mobile share plans. What does her line fee switch too if she chooses the Apple Upgrade Program. She is at 15 right now. Would it stay at 15 because she is bringing her own device or will it increase to 40?

In regards to the iPhone Forever Plan or the official Apple Upgrade Plan announced the other day?

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
It should stay the same assuming she's not receiving a discount for that phone.

ESPN swaps rarely change plans or TOS unless u had a non data plan (like an old 2G plan with mobile web. Yes those do exist) and switched to a data phone.

Basically you should have no issue. I use to work for sprint and at least when I was there what u want to do should be fine.

I'm doing something that others may want to chime in on as well. I have five lines. Two currently have a 6 plus one of which is mine and both are doing easy pay to own. The other three have devices two years or older on them. I'm going to upgrade one of the other lines with two year pricing and then do an ESN swap and give that other line my 6 plus and I'll take the 6S Plus and sell the device that line was currently using.

I'm hoping that the charges in the system will stay the same per line. Easy pay just started when I left so not that well versed with it. Hoping ESN swap keeps charges the same per number. At least in the past the plan setup and contracts per line definitely stayed the same with an ESN swap

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
I have the Everything Data 450, which is unlimited everything except Voice Minutes to landlines, i've had that same plane for years. I'm honestly okay with staying in the two year contract since i plan to stick with Sprint for a while, great price for everything i use and good coverage between LA and OC.

That being said, I was tempted with the iPhone Forever promotion, but i'm not too keen on it because its just a lease. I also don't want to change the plan, just renew the contract another two years. If i preorder online, i'd be able to activate the phone on my own, right? I can't remember how it went down for me two years ago when I got my 5s. I think it was pretty lucky for me that i was able to go to an Apple store and walk-in buy the 5s for Sprint!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.