Sprint just doubled AT&T's offer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by B.A.T, Oct 1, 2014.

1. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

$130 will get you 60gbs of data. Too bad their coverage sucks here. Hopefully Verizon will jump into the fire soon.

Take that, AT&T.

Lynn La/CNET
    Sprint on Wednesday said it would one-up AT&T's promotion, which doubled the amount of data on certain high-end family plans, by doubling the new amount for its own Family Share Pack plans. The promotion is available to new and existing customers who sign up by Oct. 31, which is the same day the AT&T offer ends.

The "double the data" pledge is just the latest step by Sprint, which has seen a jolt of energy under new CEO Marcelo Claure. Since taking over in August, the embattled wireless carrier has aggressively laid out a slate of new wireless plans and promotions, all in an effort to slow the erosion of its customer base. But the company faces a long road ahead as it works through its network upgrade issues and the perception that its service lags far behind its rivals.

As with other recent promotions, Sprint hasn't necessarily cut prices on its plans, instead offering more data. The carrier is able to do that because its newly built LTE network has enough capacity to handle its customer base, which is shrinking relative to the competition. In areas where Sprint has built out its network, the company is desperate to get consumers to give it another shot.

The carrier needs to get aggressive. In the last quarter, it posted a net loss of 220,000 subscribers, continuing a string of customer losses over the last year.

Sprint CEO will cut costs to bring back customers
    Meet the man charged with kicking Sprint into overdrive
    AT&T doubles data on high-end plans, starting at 15GB tier
    AT&T unveiled its promotion on Saturday, offering 30 gigabytes of data for a month charge of $130 (customers would still have to pay for their device and a separate access fee that ranges between $15 and $40), compared to the previous offer of 15GB. The charge is $150 for 40GB and $225 for 60GB.

Under the new Sprint offer, the same $130 data charge gets 60GB, while $150 gets 80GB and $225 gets 120GB. Sprint is also waiving its monthly access charge through 2015.

New and existing customers have to go to a Sprint store, visit Sprint.com, or call Sprint directly for the promotion. The company said additional retail outlets will be able to offer the deal soon.

AT&T wasn't immediately available to comment on Sprint's promotion.

Sprint, meanwhile, also said it would double the data on its business plans starting Friday through Oct. 31. Under the business share plan, customers could get 80GB for $135, 120GB for $200, 160GB for $270, and 200GB for $330. As with the family plans, Sprint is waiving the access fees through 2015.

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I'd rather use a rotary telephone than be a Sprint subscriber.

3. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Would you rather have 30GB of something or 60GB of nothing?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is the offer good for the entire contract? Sprints prior promotion (ongoing?) was only good for the first year and the second year the prices went up.

Sprint's network and customer service still suck though. I don't care what they charge, it isn't worth it.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sprint need to double it coverage area and it would still be behind. Took a road trip with a firend who had Sprint and his phone was dead most of the time.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

sprint must have upgraded the network if they are using rotary dial phones . I thought they were still using tin cans and string for all calls:D

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think you can say "take that AT&T" when you're talking about Sprint. Price is nice but it is still Sprint.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, right now Sprint is trying to fend off T-Mo from over taking them, which I read they will this year if the trends continue

9. Calismic macrumors member

My SIL has Sprint and honestly my internet circa 99' had a better connection. I don't believe its possible to even get 60GB of data to transfer over a Sprint network in a months time!

10. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I'd rather pleasure myself with a cheese grater then ever go back to Sprint. I'd even pass on $20 a month with unlimited talk, text and data.

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

The amount of data is completely pointless if the network can't deliver it. Sprint is worthless.

:apple:

12. vzwkrystal macrumors newbie

Is there somewhere we can write in to Verizon to inquire about this/if they are planning to offer something similar? Surely if subscribers bring this to their attention (not like they don't already know) they would try to offer something comparable?

13. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

comments in this thread are on par with what I would have said.

60gb of dial-up? How's that possible?

14. mac.cali macrumors 65816

15. vzwkrystal macrumors newbie

Where are you seeing this at?

16. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Why would Verizon respond to this? As others have said, making big promises which cannot be held up on Sprint's non existent network cannot keep customers. Verizon, OTOH, has a perceived lead in its network coverage. Ideally they can charge a slight premium over the others for access to that network.

17. vzwkrystal macrumors newbie

A slight premium? We pay an EXTRAVAGANT amount for 14gb of data per month. Surely the fact that multiple other carriers are doubling that amount for the same price will resonate with them, at least if they want to keep subscribers happy. AT&T isn't horrible in my neck of the woods and a deal like that can be make or break for us, I know I'm not the only one in that boat.

----------

I just crapped my pants.

18. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I agree they are not completely out of AT&T's league as much as Sprint. But even there they can afford to offer slightly less due to their network strength. Something like 25GB for $130, instead of matching AT&T's 30GB.

19. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

a co-worker who has sprint jumped on this yesterday when she got her iPhone 6 (coming from a 4s). they literally gave her everything free. She got $200 credit for trading in her 4s which was beat to death so a free iPhone 6 (16GB model). she got $100 in free accessories in the store. she got 2 cases, a pack of screen protectors and another lighting to usb cable. She also got a 50% off discount on any Bluetooth speaker. She didn't know the brand but the one she picked was normally $200 and she got it for $100.

After all of that, I still wouldn't go back to them. I left them to go to att (cingular at the time) for the original iPhone and haven't looked back. their service sucks, their customer service sucks and it's not getting better.

20. vzwkrystal macrumors newbie

I'm not really talking about the price, I'm talking about the promotion. AT&T set it off with Sprint following suit. Can you imagine how many pissed subscribers Verizon would have if they didn't do something along the same lines of doubling data for the same price?

21. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

When your customers can't leave, pissing them off has no consequences. I won't be surprised if the entire customer base of our cable companies are pissed off, there are negative news every week on average - yet, they couldn't care less. If Verizon is reasonably sure that it's customers won't leave for Sprint, they can ignore whatever Sprint does. They may feel more heat from AT&T, yet they can get away by offering just enough for people not to leave. Think about it, T-Mobile (and Sprint) have had cheaper unlimited plans, yet many people go through hoops, opening and paying for dummy accounts etc. to hold on to Verizon.

22. Gincoma macrumors 6502

Sprint is still running on tin cans and string. No thanks!!!