Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sprint today announced that customers of Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or any other postpaid carrier who bring their eligible iPhone or Android-based smartphone to Sprint will receive one free year of unlimited talk, text, and 4G LTE data. The offer is available for up to five lines per new account opened.

sprint-iphone.jpg

The term "unlimited" has some limitations, including a max of 1080p for streaming video, 1.5 Mbps for streaming music, and 8 Mbps for games. Data de-prioritization applies during times of congestion, and customers that exceed 23GB of data in any billing cycle may be throttled until the next billing cycle.

Unlimited talk includes long distance calls within the United States and Sprint Global Roaming, which includes 2G data and text messaging in over 165 countries for no charge, plus calling for $0.20 per minute. 10GB of high-speed data per line is included to use toward Personal Hotspot, VPN, and Peer-2-Peer usage.

Eligible smartphones must be unlocked and compatible with Sprint's network and SIM card, including the following iPhone models. An asterisk indicates only the Verizon model of that particular iPhone works on Sprint due to CDMA compatibility. Tablets and Personal Hotspot devices are ineligible.
iPhone 5c*
iPhone 5s*
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 7*
iPhone 7 Plus*
iPhone SE
As to be expected, the offer has some fine print, but there really are no significant catches or anything that should be considered a deal breaker.
New customers only: The offer is not available to customers that already have an active Sprint account.
No annual contract: After July 31, 2018, the free plan will convert to Sprint's standard Unlimited Freedom plan starting at $60 per month with AutoPay. Customers don't appear to be under any obligation to continue paying for that plan and may cancel after the first year of free service if desired.
Keep the same phone number: Port-in from postpaid carrier required.
SIM card purchase required: $2.99 + $10 shipping + taxes online. Also available at Sprint stores. SIM card must be activated prior to port-in.
Activation fee rebated: A $30 activation fee will appear on the first bill and an equal credit will appear within 2 bills.
AutoPay and eBilling required: If AutoPay and/or eBill are removed, up to a $7.99 per month charge will apply.
Taxes and fees: A standard $1.99 admin fee, $0.40 regulatory fee, state and local taxes, and other surcharges may apply each month.
No device upgrade allowed during first 120 days: Any upgrades prior to October 1, 2017 will require a plan change to Unlimited Freedom, and the customer will lose the remaining free months in his or her year of free service.
Sprint said this limited time offer is available until June 30. To switch, customers must purchase a SIM card from Sprint's website or stores, activate it, and port their phone number over.

Article Link: Sprint Offering Free Year of Unlimited Service to Switchers

Last edited by a moderator:

McFlyOz

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
Key Largo
Looks like Sprint is getting into Desparation Zone since they lost out on all those classy and educated NASCAR followers like Billy Greg and Joe Johnny McDifferdange so they want them back.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Is sprint this bad this isn't a good deal?
While one may find "usable speed" pockets of coverage here and there, their network leaves a lot to be desired in regards to usability, in my opinion. Unlimited is not really useful, if it means constant buffering and struggling to connect.

If one is spending money for unlimited data, that shouldn't mean one has to primarily rely on WIFI, which is often the case with Sprint.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
Just for example, last month driving through central California (in a heavy trucking corridor!) my friend on Sprint had zero bars while I, on Verizon, had full bars. It was enough to piss him off to try another carrier.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

Sprint today announced that customers of Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or any other postpaid carrier who bring their eligible iPhone or Android-based smartphone to Sprint will receive one free year of unlimited talk, text, and 4G LTE data. The offer is available for up to five lines per new account opened.

sprint-iphone.jpg

The term "unlimited" has some limitations, including a max of 1080p for streaming video, 1.5 Mbps for streaming music, and 8 Mbps for games. Data de-prioritization applies during times of congestion, and customers that exceed 23GB of data in any billing cycle may be throttled until the next billing cycle.

Unlimited talk includes long distance calls within the United States and Sprint Global Roaming, which includes 2G data and text messaging in over 165 countries for no charge, plus calling for $0.20 per minute. 10GB of high-speed data per line is included to use toward Personal Hotspot, VPN, and Peer-2-Peer usage.

Eligible smartphones must be unlocked and compatible with Sprint's network and SIM card, including the following iPhone models. An asterisk indicates only the Verizon model of that particular iPhone works on Sprint due to CDMA compatibility. Tablets and Personal Hotspot devices are ineligible.
iPhone 5c*
iPhone 5s*
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 7*
iPhone 7 Plus*
iPhone SEAs to be expected, the offer has some fine print, but there really are no significant catches or anything that should be considered a deal breaker.
New customers only: The offer is not available to customers that already have an active Sprint account.
No annual contract: After July 31, 2018, the free plan will convert to Sprint's standard Unlimited Freedom plan starting at $60 per month with AutoPay. Customers don't appear to be under any obligation to continue paying for that plan and may cancel after the first year of free service if desired.
Keep the same phone number: Port-in from postpaid carrier required.
SIM card purchase required: $2.99 + $10 shipping + taxes online. Also available at Sprint stores. SIM card must be activated prior to port-in.
Activation fee rebated: A $30 activation fee will appear on the first bill and an equal credit will appear within 2 bills.
AutoPay and eBilling required: If AutoPay and/or eBill are removed, up to a $7.99 per month charge will apply.
Taxes and fees: A standard $1.99 admin fee, $0.40 regulatory fee, state and local taxes, and other surcharges may apply each month.
No device upgrade allowed during first 120 days: Any upgrades prior to October 1, 2017 will require a plan change to Unlimited Freedom, and the customer will lose the remaining free months in his or her year of free service.
Sprint said this limited time offer is available until June 30. To switch, customers must purchase a SIM card from Sprint's website or stores, activate it, and port their phone number over.

Article Link: Sprint Offering Free Year of Unlimited Service to Switchers

Holy crap, Sprint must be desperate as hell. Oh, and there is no way I'm giving up AT&T for Sprint nor T-mobile's crappy service.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Typo, probably meant the iPhone SE.

I thought about that, but it doesn't make sense in the context of the rest of the sentence:

iPhone SEAs to be expected, the offer has some fine print, but there really are no significant catches or anything that should be considered a deal breaker.
Or maybe it does and its just badly written. I don't know. You're probably right.

bmc205

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
I thought about that, but it doesn't make sense in the context of the rest of the sentence:

Or maybe it does and its just badly written. I don't know. You're probably right.

Just bad formatting/spacing. Should have read:

iPhone SE

As to be expected,...

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
This will really put everyone who said "I wouldn't use Sprint even if it was free" to the test.
Not really.
[doublepost=1497393899][/doublepost]
Holy crap, Sprint must be desperate as hell. Oh, and there is no way I'm giving up AT&T for Sprint nor T-mobile's crappy service.
I'm sorry but ATT is terrible in NYC. ATT doesn't ever upgrade their network. They don't even get LTE speeds yet it says LTE on my phone. I'm tempted to jump to Verizon or TMobile. I'll consider Sprint but not seriously.

Last edited:

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Not really.
[doublepost=1497393899][/doublepost]
I'm sorry but ATT is terrible in NYC. I'm tempted to jump to Verizon or TMobile.

I live in a suburb 50 miles east of LA. :p AT&T works fantastic for me, especially compared to T-Mobile(Yes, I've used T-Mobile before). If I was going to jump ship, I'd gladly pay the cost of Verizon.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Just for example, last month driving through central California (in a heavy trucking corridor!) my friend on Sprint had zero bars while I, on Verizon, had full bars. It was enough to piss him off to try another carrier.

It's not just Sprint. I had to drop T-Mobile because it's coverage was so poor for me.

Nothing beats Verizon's coverage but you pay for it.
[doublepost=1497397534][/doublepost]
Clearly you know nothing about T-Mobile's GREAT service.

T-Mobile may have great service and lower rates but it's actual coverage map for me was abysmal.
[doublepost=1497397699][/doublepost]
It's sprint - so that IS the downside.

I think the upside of "free" trumps the downside :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.