Sprint officially on Life Support

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViPhone, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ViPhone macrumors 6502

The name of the machine keeping Sprint's faint heartbeat from fading completely: the iPhone 4S.

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

3. jjlannoo Suspended

LOL :)

Really tho I hope they do well... but not too well. I have been very happy with them over the years So I want them around. Customer service will be better tho is they are at least struggling a little.

4. macinnv macrumors regular

Which is why their stock price has skyrocketed since the news of the iPhone!

5. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

What is your point here?

6. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

More like the heavyweight that will bring it down. Just wait for the bandwidth to drop like a rock after all the iPhone owners start streaming till their hearts content.

Not only do ATT and Verizon throttle to keep the user experience better. They have the funds to expand their network. Sprint spent their last bit of money buying iPhones just so they could overload their already mis-invested network (they now realize wimax was a bad idea and are going to eventually switch to lte)

7. xdbuix macrumors 6502

i read that too, but i also read that their stock just dropped because of news that they are on life support. I just checked their stock too, looks pretttty grim :(

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

There is no point.

9. Sarngate macrumors regular

Uh no, it hasn't. Sprint has been haemorrhaging Pay monthly customers for years, that's why they've ordered 20 million iPhones over the next few years in an attempt to win back support.

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Sarcasm? While the stock moved up for a couple of days, it is now down 22% since the iPhone news. They don't have enough $ to support the iPhone into next year.

11. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

12. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

by "skyrocket" do you mean to the last trade value of 2.22 well then yes, they are ROLLING in it.

13. 2010RS macrumors 6502

14. omgwut macrumors 6502

15. urkel macrumors 68030

The iPhone is yet another bandaid over a bullet hole.

As a Sprint user for the last 13 years then I've seen them constantly trying to stop the bleeding with strong tactics that never seem to work out for them. And while the iPhone is their best chance at grabbing new subscribers, think about whatnthis does to all NON iphone customers. A happy Android user now will lose 1yr upgrades, Premium Gold status and low cancellation fees and with Sprints excessively heavy commitment then we'll also have more congestion, less customer service, less retention deals and higher rates. And for what? A phone that draws in the type of users that stress the network?

So while it seems good to get more iPhone customers, Sprint will be losing a lot of "other phone" customers who don't like that this network is now aimed squarely at pleasing Apple. So, while I love that I'm getting a Sprint iPhone, this gamble may not work out in the end.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The iPhone will not save Sprint, Sprint has to save Sprint. And the first thing they need to do is get rid of that burden Nextel. Nextel is what caused Sprint to hurt so much.

That and investing in dead-end technologies such as Wi-Max. It looks like they may have learned their lesson by doing quite a few good things such as:

*The interoperability between CDMA and iDEN Networks for their PTT service
    *Obtaining the iPhone 4 and 4S.
    *Having a nice Android selection.
    *Phasing out Wi-Max by 2012
    *Having a nice LTE Plan
    *Retaining unlimited data plans to have an edge over VZW & AT&T

The following things will kill Sprint if they're not careful:

*Having horrible customer service
    *Hanging onto that burden called Nextel (at least the iDEN Network)
    *Not planning for the future, or hanging onto Wi-Max

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sure, but what's the point if you can't even use the internet. I hope Sprint continues building a network for the longterm.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt say fine.
    They're been losing subscribers every quarter.

20. macinnv macrumors regular

Yes, definitely being sarcastic!

21. ma1234 macrumors newbie

Android users average more data use than iphone users. The average Sprint Android user averages very heavy data use. The network will be able to handle the iPhone with no problems.

22. sevendeadly101 macrumors newbie

Where do people get these ideas from? Do they just read a few anecdotes on some website and assume fact? Here's one. I had an EVO and now a Photon. I did turn on 4g every now and then since it was available in my area, but with the battery drain, it just wasn't worth it. I always kept 3g on, and I don't notice that much difference. The 3g is fast. Netflix streams without buffering on both 3g and 4g. And as far as stresses on the network, hardly likely. Sprint has lost a substantial amount of customers. If by chance they get them back, they have the capacity to handle them. Android users use just as much data as iphone users, and Sprint has a good amount of those. My internet speed is actually getting better lately on 3g!

23. urkel macrumors 68030

How the heck could you possibly know that?!?

-Sprint is securing $20B worth of iPhones in the next few years in addition to the existing amount of non-iPhones which is growth beyond anything they've ever had
    -They're moving away from WiMax so how much do you expect a struggling company to invest in maintenance of technology they're trying to kill
    -They're on the fast track to rolling out LTE in a VERY short amount of time which requires a lot of attention
    -The times that the network does get pushed (conventions like CES) then historically they have had congestion issues

I'm not saying that sprint CANT pull this off, I'm just saying that there's no indicator that could make anyone claim that they CAN.

24. surferboi2005 macrumors newbie

Eh im leaving sprint to go to verizon.. Yea sprint has unlimited data and what not but that doesn't matter if you cant get a signal in many places when you live in a city and not the country...