Sprint steps up the heat on AT&T: Unlimited Everything Plan $69

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphones4evry1, Sep 10, 2009.

1. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Unlimited calls, data, texting, EVERYTHING! for $69.99 per month!
    Sprint has stepped up the heat on AT&T!

I hope Apple breaks the exclusivity with AT&T soon and allows the iPhone to go to other carriers as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing AT&T have to become competitive on iPhone monthly service plans. A $69 everything plan would sure be more reasonable than the ridiculously high prices AT&T charges right now.

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/09/sprint-shocks-e.php

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The iPhone will still likely be charged differently.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

$69 on their dumbphones. Which don't display web pages as they should be viewed and phones that encourage the user not to use the services provided except MMS or SMS.

So, it's not a very good deal if you think about it. BTW, iPhone users will get charged differently if the iPhone does go to Sprint.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Sprint's coverage is mediocre at best.
    Unlimited everything when you can actually get service is not a deal.

With AT&T claiming they are getting hammered by all the data usage from iPhones, I can only imagine what would happen to Sprint's network.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Don't the Sprint unlimited plans also allow unlimited roaming on Verizon?

6. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Sprint's network is far superior to AT&T in every way where I am. Sprint works underground in the metro station. Faster 3G speeds. No dropped calls. Includes free GPS. Includes Sprint TV.

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Where does it say it only works on their dumbphones? From the article it pretty clearly says it includes Blackberry services.

Quote from the article:

Yes.

8. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Would you care to point out where you are getting that it is only for dumbphones? It does say that Blackberry access is included and from I've been able to find(their page regarding the new plan is down) it includes all of their phones.

It isn't completely unlimited you only get 450 minutes to landline phones. Unlimited voice is only to other mobile phones.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm almost wondering if AT&T will breath a sigh of relief when that happens. Millions of people will leave their network (making it faster and more reliable for the people that remain), and then the other carriers will have to deal with a sudden onslaught of new customers!

Pricing wise, I doubt AT&T and Verizon will budge much. Sprint and T-Mobile have historically always been cheaper than the big two. This plan isn't anything new in that regards.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I thought only Verizon worked in the Metro. Besides, all the carriers will eventually work in the Metro, according to a thread we had awhile back. As far as dropped calls go, I've not had that issue.

11. iphones4evry1 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

12. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Maybe it is the Verizon network, but Sprint uses Verizon's towers when it cannot access a Sprint tower. Either way, your Sprint phone works in the metro.

All carriers will eventually work in the metro. Just like we will eventually have a metro out to Dulles airport. Also similar to how we will eventually have flying cars.

Consider yourself lucky with the dropped calls. I get at least a few a week and I don't even have many long conversations on the phone that much.

13. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

GPS, bundled, not free.

14. schwell macrumors regular

Sprint isn't exactly doing real well as a business. Check out their earnings and stock price. If their strategy does not suceeed then what? Another company buys them and raises the rates or cuts cost enough to make them profitable.

Maybe Apple or Google should buy them. :D

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Sprint is not "stepping up the heat" on anyone. They are slashing prices in a desperate effort to stop bleeding customers and keep their heads above water.

16. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I would buy their service...I wouldn't buy their stock. :D

17. brendu macrumors 68020

yep :D

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sprint is losing subscribers.

Even in the towns near by Sprint headquarters you don't get good coverage.

Roaming only works if there are zero signal. Unfortunately at most places you'll get 1 bar Sprint and few bar verizon, you'll still be using Sprint.

19. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

I'm already paying that with my 3gs....don't ask me how :cool:

20. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Dang...this sounds like a deal...what is unlimited everything on the iPhone with AT&T up to? $599 a month? Yeah that sounds about right /dripping sarcasm. Brb canceling my ISP and tether my palm pre to my broadband router....

21. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

That's because nobody lives in Kansas anyways...

The old Nextel headquarters is in Reston, VA and I used to live less then 5 mins from there and had great service.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

All four carriers will be in:

... 20 stations, starting next month (Friday, October 16th)
    ... the remaining stations, by next Fall
    ... in the tunnels, between stations, by October 2012

http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=4014

23. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wow that's great. I didn't know it was so soon. I figured it was just one of those planned things that never actually really happens. My stop isn't in one of the 20 initial stations, but at least I can use my phone in all the major hub stations.

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, last time I looked, they didn't have specific dates yet either. I about fell out of my chair when I saw the first stage was set for next month!! lol :eek:

I don't talk on the phone that much, esp. in public places like the Metro, but getting Internet will be nice. :)

25. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Only on an Apple forum will people complain about a competitor dropping monthly phone charges. I would have thought everyone would agree this is great news for the consumer. Let the prices keep dropping!