Sprint stores selling Lightning Cables for 20% off if you buy two!! YMMV!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kitkit201, Oct 3, 2012.

1. kitkit201 macrumors newbie

Hello fellow Apple fans

I was reading a few threads about about Lightning cables and how Apple has pretty much made their cables copy-proof (for now...)

Anyways, I read on a few threads that Sprint was giving a 20% discount on accessories if you buy two of them.

So i went to the store and asked them for two lightning cables. They rang up to $19.99 and politely asked them if they included a 20% discount on them since I am buying two.

The rep talked to his manager and said that it's usually just for customers who are buying phones, but gave me the discount anyways.

So $34 out the door for two cables!~!

Others have reported that they didn't have any problems getting the 20% discount and that the Sprint rep was forthcoming and gave them the discount.

Again, YMMV! (This was a Sprint store in Santa Clara, CA)

HTH!

2. Juicy111 macrumors member

i still refuse to pay 34$ for 2 plastic cables.

I work minimum wage and not spending a chunk of my paycheck for some flimsy cables

3. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'll be giving this a try, thanks! Now Sprint stores finally have a bigger purpose than being the most empty store in a plaza.

Edit: $34 for both? Nevermind, I won't be needing three cables lol.

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

But you bought an iPhone 5? ;)

5. tomtom2234 macrumors member

If you are working minimum wage, do you honestly think the iphone 5 was the best investment....?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

7. CanadaEh macrumors regular

So buy ones on ebay that the chinese made so you can screw up your iPhone :)

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

He never claimed that he bought an iPhone 5.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

You have a point.

10. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

By your statement, I believe it is fair to assume that you purchased an iPhone 5...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS??? The iPhone 5 isn't priced for the minimum wage budget. Just sayin.

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Maybe he bought the new nano or touch. The iPhone isn't the only device that uses the Lightning connector.

Or do you consider those to not to be 'priced for the minimum wage budget' too?

12. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

We are in the iPhone section of the forum so I will assume he is talking about the iPhone 5. If not, his post has no relevance to this thread.

And yes, there are much better ways to spend your hard earned minimum wage money than a brand new iPod/Nano. The point is Apple devices are expensive and oem accessories are priced to match.

13. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I just spent 40 on two and it bothered me but in the long run what's 40.00

14. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

It's his money, he should be able to spend it as he pleases. If he wants a iPhone and can pay the bill more power to him.

15. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

From what I can tell, this thread is discussing the Lightning cables. I do not see why his post about the pricing of Lightning cables in a thread discussing Lightning cables would be irrelevant, regardless of whether it's in the iPod, iPhone or Accessories subforum.

Who are we to judge how someone else decides to use their hard earned money? For all we know, he's a teen working minimum wage solely for work experience and all of his other necessities are already paid for, so all of his wages going towards 'toys' isn't unreasonable.

16. kitkit201 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lets stay on topic guys. This wasn't a thread to flame a user, but a fyi for everyone if they need more than 1 lightning cable around to drop by their sprint store and snag a good deal.

To each their own. :apple:

17. urkel macrumors 68030

Yeah. It seems like people forget what it's like to be a teen with a part time job and have to make "thrifty" decisions. So while $199 for a phone may be justifiable, $20 for a spare cable can understandably feel excessive.

For a more relatable "grown up" scenario then just because you bought a BMW doesn't mean youre an idiot if you buy $20 Costco floormats over the BMW branded ones. :D

18. Charadis, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012

Charadis macrumors 6502a

I bought my first iphone 3G while I was still working part time and in college,making just a few dollars above minimum wage. Bill was in my name, and I had a car payment, too.

I work in research now, but I would do it all over again, even if I was working minimum wage.

-C

19. kitkit201 thread starter macrumors newbie

20. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

True, but you ARE an idiot if you buy $50.00 Chinese junk tires for it. Perhaps a better analogue, as the cable is an important part of the iPhone ecosystem.

This is a chipped cable with a sophisticated A-D function, not a cheap analog cable as in the previous iteration. It is certainly a far more elegant solution than the 30-pin connector, something I notice every time I have to plug my iPad in.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

22. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Does Verizon sell lightning cables? I get 25% off accessories there.

23. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Thanks for reminding me, I'm a Sprint premier gold customer (not for long) so I get %25 off any 2 accessories. I will be going on Friday after work and pick up my 2 lighting connectors!

Thanks again!

24. c0venant macrumors regular

he did in a different topic, and he actually got the 32gb version instead of the 16gb:

minimum wage worker with a 32gb iPhone 5... priorities I guess.