Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
boy bye i wasn't even talking to u in the first place and u dont have to yell at me it was a simple question
?????

The quote of me you have was a response to someone else further on up the page and was delivered as a factual statment, not yelling.. As far as I know, this is your first post in this thread. Are you perhaps responding to someone else, or me in another thread?

Were you responding to the statement about me not caring? Because if you were, that also was not directed at you. Unless you are also blackberrycubed?

EDIT: Ah, I see. You were probably responding to me in this thread. Yes, I was being emphatic there. Only one or two posts up your question had already been answered, but you asked it again.

Lots of people seem to have trouble understanding that there is NO unlock for Sprint iPhones. No matter how many times you tell them, it's not what they want to hear, so they keep ignoring the answers and asking the same question over and over again.

Sprint is not AT&T and it's not Verizon and no matter how many times this question is repeated and to whom, the answer is still - no.

Last edited:

Velin

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Sprint sucks. Precisely because of policies like this, I will never, ever buy a Sprint phone, or use Sprint wireless service.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Sprint sucks. Precisely because of policies like this, I will never, ever buy a Sprint phone, or use Sprint wireless service.
Don't get me wrong. Just because I am a Sprint customer does not mean I like this policy. In fact, I totally disagree with Sprint on this.

But you are the second person I've heard say this lately.

Usually, it's "I will never use Sprint, or buy Sprint…" because Sprint data speeds suck. I have to assume you are also including that, maybe as something the reader is to automatically assume?

Because I can't see anyone that hates Sprint like that being ok with sucky data speeds but also having the ability to unlock.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Don't get me wrong. Just because I am a Sprint customer does not mean I like this policy. In fact, I totally disagree with Sprint on this.

But you are the second person I've heard say this lately.

Usually, it's "I will never use Sprint, or buy Sprint…" because Sprint data speeds suck. I have to assume you are also including that, maybe as something the reader is to automatically assume?

Because I can't see anyone that hates Sprint like that being ok with sucky data speeds but also having the ability to unlock.

There are a select few that's lucky enough to tactually have an unlocked phone and be a Sprint customer. Also for some the data speeds aren't bad at all.

That said I understand the vast majority has crappy data speeds, but for me it's a matter of good speeds and unlimited data. Plus I've been with the so long lol

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
yes some very lucky iPhone 4s purchasers got an unlocked iPhone from sprint at one point, but they realized the error of their ways and changed that policy quickly. Sprint doesn't unlock and as my friends have stated here numerous times no matter how you phrase it, Sprint will never unlock a phone for domestic use. I feel like there should be a thread that the title is "Sprint phones cannot be unlocked, period." and vote it up and then maybe people will stop asking??

LOL seriously though...

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
yes some very lucky iPhone 4s purchasers got an unlocked iPhone from sprint at one point, but they realized the error of their ways and changed that policy quickly. Sprint doesn't unlock and as my friends have stated here numerous times no matter how you phrase it, Sprint will never unlock a phone for domestic use. I feel like there should be a thread that the title is "Sprint phones cannot be unlocked, period." and vote it up and then maybe people will stop asking??

LOL seriously though...

Yes 4s's were unlocked. I received a 5c that was unlocked. I also know of one case where a 5s was received unlocked as well. It does happen it's just few and far between

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Yes 4s's were unlocked. I received a 5c that was unlocked. I also know of one case where a 5s was received unlocked as well. It does happen it's just few and far between
Let's just clarify that this was because of Apple and NOT Sprint. Apple made good for the customer and because Sprint is bound by the terms of their iPhone agreement with Apple. Sprint had no choice in the matter.

But as something direct from Sprint, no, never going to happen.

----------

There are a select few that's lucky enough to tactually have an unlocked phone and be a Sprint customer. Also for some the data speeds aren't bad at all.

That said I understand the vast majority has crappy data speeds, but for me it's a matter of good speeds and unlimited data. Plus I've been with the so long lol
Well, my quoting those statements and my reply was essentially tongue in cheek. :D

Usually when you hear "Sprint sucks!" it's because of the slow 3G data. But lately I've heard that it's because of the unlock policy. Whether those people also mean the 3G data in their statement is unclear because they don't mention it.

I just find it interesting because it would indicate that the reason Sprint sucks has changed. :)

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Is there even one valid reason why Sprint should exist?

Is there a reason why there's polls in College football? Is there a reason why there are 32 teams in the NFL? Is there a reason why Burger King exists? Is there a reason why KMart exists? Yes there's reasons.

Look I have Sprint. I've been with Sprint for almost 10 years. Sprint has been awful, but why would I leave Sprint now when it's getting better? Sprint has broken promises. Sprint his behind and still playing catch up. To say is there a reason they exist is ridiculous. They are a business. All mobile carriers have there faults. None are perfect and never will be.

----------

Let's just clarify that this was because of Apple and NOT Sprint. Apple made good for the customer and because Sprint is bound by the terms of their iPhone agreement with Apple. Sprint had no choice in the matter.

But as something direct from Sprint, no, never going to happen.

----------

Well, my quoting those statements and my reply was essentially tongue in cheek. :D

Usually when you hear "Sprint sucks!" it's because of the slow 3G data. But lately I've heard that it's because of the unlock policy. Whether those people also mean the 3G data in their statement is unclear because they don't mention it.

I just find it interesting because it would indicate that the reason Sprint sucks has changed. :)

Yes me getting an unlocked phone was on Apple's part and definitely not Sprint.

Yes people's problem with Sprint was that the 3G sucks and what's the sense of unlimited data if you can't use it... Well now I'm averaging a good 20-25 down and 6-10 up so I'd say that's pretty useable. Personally I'll take useable unlimited data over 50 Mbps down and only 1 gb a month ...

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Because customers are willing to pay for the (non)service. Sprint is a business, so morality does not come into play here.

I agree. It's just like the lotteries. People keep buying their tickets in hopes that they will be the 1 in 200 million that wins the jackpot. Throw a few $5 winning tickets at them, and they will keep coming back for more.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I agree. It's just like the lotteries. People keep buying their tickets in hopes that they will be the 1 in 200 million that wins the jackpot. Throw a few $5 winning tickets at them, and they will keep coming back for more.

Actually a really good analogy

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
So much misinformation in this thread. Sprint iPhone 4 and 4S on iOS 6 and below CAN be unlocked for domestic use, Google it, I've personally done it.

There WAS a method for unlocking the sprint iPhone 5 but it wasn't guaranteed and some phones would often end up "searching" for service constantly.

No method for the 5S and 5C exist at the MOMENT.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So much misinformation in this thread. Sprint iPhone 4 and 4S on iOS 6 and below CAN be unlocked for domestic use, Google it, I've personally done it.

There WAS a method for unlocking the sprint iPhone 5 but it wasn't guaranteed and some phones would often end up "searching" for service constantly.

No method for the 5S and 5C exist at the MOMENT.
No.

If I am wrong, you prove it to me. I am not going to do your dirty work for you to prove myself right. Cite your sources, line everything up. And not Youtube videos that prove nothing. And Gevey SIMS don't count.

The burden of proof is on you my friend, not me or anyone else in this thread.

I also want to see FACTUAL, REPRODUCIBLE PROOF that refutes every word of the Sprint support page that I link to above. If you cannot provide that then you are wrong.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
----------

No you have that wrong and let me clarify that for you. Sprint flat out sucks for MULTIPLE reason and not just 1 reason at a time.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So what?

I never said Sprint was great or wonderful. Find me the post in these forums where I EVER said that!

We can debate Sprint sucks endlessly for various reasons. And you can tell me that it sucks all you want. But you cannot stop me from getting Sprint service and you cannot stop me from paying my bill. So, unless you intend to pay my bill for me I really don't see what your opinion matters in my choice of provider. You have no authority or power over me to prevent me from choosing the carrier of my choice, no matter how bad you think it is.

And, none of that has anything to do with the issue I was responding to by another user, which is about unlocking Sprint iPhones.

You can say Sprint sucks all you want but that does not make my information about Sprint unlocks wrong - unless the other person proves me wrong.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
No.

If I am wrong, you prove it to me. I am not going to do your dirty work for you to prove myself right. Cite your sources, line everything up. And not Youtube videos that prove nothing. And Gevey SIMS don't count.

The burden of proof is on you my friend, not me or anyone else in this thread.

I also want to see FACTUAL, REPRODUCIBLE PROOF that refutes every word of the Sprint support page that I link to above. If you cannot provide that then you are wrong.

Who are you, the internet master? Your information is wrong and who cares how people are able to unlock their phones? Who cares what method they used? Why Gevey don't sims count? Cause you said so?

You're wrong simple as that. That's why this thread will never be a sticky. Sorry to ruin your internet dreams.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Who are you, the internet master? Your information is wrong and who cares how people are able to unlock their phones? Who cares what method they used? Why Gevey don't sims count? Cause you said so?

You're wrong simple as that. That's why this thread will never be a sticky. Sorry to ruin your internet dreams.
So…no proof to back up your claims then? No proof to refute both me and others who have been here much longer than I? Nothing, except your claims while I've provided links and information about Sprint's unlock policy in this and other threads?

Show me proof and I'll recant my statements. But then again, you'd have already done that if you had proof right? Other than just attacking me and saying I'm wrong without proving it.

By the way. Gevey SIMs don't count because they are SIM interposers. They are not ACTUAL unlocks. If you knew all about this you would already know that and therefore why they don't count.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
By the way. Gevey SIMs don't count because they are SIM interposers. They are not ACTUAL unlocks. If you knew all about this you would already know that and therefore why they don't count.

People don't care as long as the phone works on the network they want. So you saying Gevey sims don't count is just your opinion.

Continue on internet master.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
No you have that wrong and let me clarify that for you. Sprint flat out sucks for MULTIPLE reason and not just 1 reason at a time.

So what if Sprint sucks for this or that. No one has said Sprint is great. I'm just saying I've been with them so long I wouldn't leave and now the data speeds are fine. Plus I have an unlocked iphone on Sprints network ...

I would hope you have better things to do then come to a thread and argue that a mobile carrier sucks for numerous reasons.... I hope

----------

So what?

I never said Sprint was great or wonderful. Find me the post in these forums where I EVER said that!

We can debate Sprint sucks endlessly for various reasons. And you can tell me that it sucks all you want. But you cannot stop me from getting Sprint service and you cannot stop me from paying my bill. So, unless you intend to pay my bill for me I really don't see what your opinion matters in my choice of provider. You have no authority or power over me to prevent me from choosing the carrier of my choice, no matter how bad you think it is.

And, none of that has anything to do with the issue I was responding to by another user, which is about unlocking Sprint iPhones.

You can say Sprint sucks all you want but that does not make my information about Sprint unlocks wrong - unless the other person proves me wrong.

This. It does not matter what they think about Sprint. The thread wasn't started asking if you think Sprint sucks, but of course someone has to turn it into just that.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
You can unlock iphone 4s for use with T-Mobile or AT&T and any carrier in the world. You will need ios 6 and gevey sim with jailbreak. That will do the trick and you can use it with domestic carriers.

http://www.applenberry.com/unlock-cdma-iphone-4s/
A Gevey SIM is NOT an unlock. A Gevey SIM is a SIM interposer. By definition, a SIM interposer sits electrically between the SIM card and baseband hardware to perform a classical MITM (Man in the Middle attack). In order to stay unlocked, you ALWAYS need to keep that SIM interposer in-between your SIM card and iPhone baseband hardware. Pull the Gevey out and your phone is still locked.

A true (and complete) unlock does not require a SIM interposer and allows the use of ANY SIM (without having to use a Gevey) in the phone that is capable of using that phone's features. Your IMEI is entered into the Apple unlock database.

Since Sprint does not allow the latter, a Gevey SIM is your only option to use a Sprint iPhone on a non-Sprint, domestic carrier. But just because you use a Gevey does not mean your iPhone is unlocked. Otherwise, if you were TRULY unlocked, you wouldn't HAVE to use a Gevey!

Lastly, a true unlock does not require a new Gevey SIM every time you update. In short, a Gevey is NOT an unlock. It may let you use another network by trickery, but it does not put your IMEI in the official unlock database.

Last edited:

eytanraz

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
so....

Thank you experts.
I have one question.

What can I do with my phone once I decided to not use Sprint anymore. I am sick of them and I do not want this carrier anymore.

But since i cannot unlock my Iphone, should I assume it is just garbage now?

Is this what it is?!!?!?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you experts.
I have one question.

What can I do with my phone once I decided to not use Sprint anymore. I am sick of them and I do not want this carrier anymore.

But since i cannot unlock my Iphone, should I assume it is just garbage now?

Is this what it is?!!?!?
You can sell it to a Sprint customer. Make sure your buyer fully understands that they can't unlock it if you decide to sell.

You can also use it as a WiPhone. By that I mean, you could get a Google Voice number, install Talkatone and use it for Voice/Text and iMessage on WiFi. It can still run apps and it can still do music.

I have a 3GS that I use for exactly this purpose. It's an AT&T phone and since I don't have AT&T I use it in this manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.