Spyware installed on iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BetaGuy1998, Jan 28, 2010.

1. BetaGuy1998 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I really hope someone in here can fill me in on this situation. I have an original, jailbroken iPhone. Several months ago a really smart "friend" of mine said he could upgrade the phone to 3G levels, and kept it for a few days. It is now version 3.0(7A341). The model number is MA712LL.

Recently another friend of mine emailed me a link to a web page, and there it was...photos that were taken with my phone that I had never sent out. They were simply in my photo gallery.

Is it possible that the guy that upgraded my phone secretly installed a program that automatically sends him all photos that are taken with my phone? It is really, really freaking me out. I'm about ready to take a hammer to my iPhone because I feel so violated, but I want to know if such a program does in fact exist with these capabilities. If anyone can shed some light on this situation I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks for your time!

BetaGuy1998

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't know of any such program, but I would restore the phone to 3.1.2 and then re-jailbreak if you like. And get a new friend.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What do you mean he upgraded your 2G iphone to 3G levels? That doesnt make any sense.
    What you can do is restore it to wipe out everything clean.
    Maybe he copyed those pictures when he had your phone in his possesion. I dont know of any spy program like that for the iphone.

4. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey there, I'm not sure about the upgrade making sense...but it was the first generation iPhone, and now it is version 3.0.

The thing is, he posted pictures he had while the phone was in his possesion, AND photos that were taken up to a week ago (he did the upgrade October 2009). There are even pictures that I took after the Yankees won the world series of me in a Yankee hat, and never sent them out to a single person. He is somehow getting photos directly from my phone, whether they are sent out or not. He is literally a computer genius, getting his doctorate in pure mathematics, and minored in astrophysics just because it was fun, lol. Maybe I have stumbled upon something new, but was hoping someone had heard of this before. Thanks for the tip though...I'll definately be wiping out this phone and starting over.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Upgrading to 3.0 software does not bring it to 3G level or whatever that means.
    Sounds like you're friend is really good with computers/tech and you're completelly the opposite :D
    Either way why dont you just ask him how he has access to those pictures if they have no way of getting to him.
    And just restore your iphone and rejailbreak.

6. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, sorry about the 3G thing, good lord. I knew everything I said would be up for scrutiny on a mac board, but figured I'd give it a shot. And no, I'm not the complete opposite, but thanks for the insinuation.

Anyway, I'm not gonna say a word to him because #1 if he's crazy enough to have installed something, and #2 to have posted my personal life on Flickr, he's crazy enough to try and hack in to one of my main web sites that I've been running for the past 10 years and put me out of business. There is more to lose than gain by confronting him on this issue. If anyone else out there has any clues, please let me know. It's just really disturbing, lol.

Thanks

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im just kidding with you, hope you didnt take it too serious :D
    Sounds like you're giving him a little too much credit as a hacker. Im sure if noone in the world has figured how to install spyware programs on the iphone he hasnt either. There maybe other ways he got acess to those pictures or maybe he installed something on your computer you never know.
    Either way if he's your friend and you just ask him nicelly he wont try to ruin your life or hack your website unless he wants to get into some serious trouble with the law and I dont think he would risk his future for anything like that.

8. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Calm down.

You do not have spyware installed on your iPhone. Just calm down. You are being way too dramatic.

Simply restore your phone. Goodness.
    And confront him about it. I'm sure he won't try to ruin your life. Just ask. Geez.

9. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah, I'm used to forums :D No offense taken, lol.

I don't think it is computer related - I haven't even updated my phone or connected it to a computer in months and months. It's weird though, when he upgraded my phone I wanted to save all my old photos. SO, they are still saved in a section on the phone named "Photo Library."

However, he also installed a program called "ClearCam," and those photos go to a seperate location called "Photo Roll." It's actually kinda funny now - when I got the phone back he said "I noticed some of your photos were blurry, so I installed a better program on there for ya." It's almost like a slap in the face - he wanted the pics he was gonna be receiving to actually be clearer, HAHA!

The only reason I wanna know are because there are lots of pics of my super hot girlfriend, lol...so there's no telling what he has seen, haha! As for talking to him, I'll feel it out. Thanks for the input!

10. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone Spyware

Hey again...

I have been doing a lot of reading and research, and such programs do actually exist. Everything that I have experienced is listed below, and is available through an iPhone spyware program called FlexiSpy:

*Call Intercept - Phone Tap
    *Spy Call - Remote Bugging Device
    *Read SMS, Emails & GPS Locations
    *Email Relay - Forward all events to your inbox
    *Call records - linked to address book
    *SIM change notification - find out new number
    *Full remote control - via SMS commands
    *Web based full text keyword searches
    *Download reports in CSV, PDF & RTF formats
    *Full remote control
    *Remote uninstall

I have been reading, and one indicator that your phone is infected is if it randomly lights up momentarily (which mine does, for like a second), and if you hear strange beeps or clicks (while talking with a friend about this tonight, I heard a beep that I had never heard before...did the guy remotely uninstall it at that time?).

Now, my next task is to find something that'll detect the software, IF it hasn't already been uninstalled remotely. So take heed everyone, it IS possible for someone to intercept EVERYTHING. I've even watched news reports where reporters demonstrated all of this live. So, I wasn't crazy to think this was possible, lol! Any thoughts? haha

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Does this guy reall care that much about your baseball pics to pay up to $349.0 (per year) to install a service like that on your iphone? I highly doubt it, seems like you're a little paranoid but just to make sure do a restore and rejailbreak. Even if there was anything it will be gone so you can sleep better at night :D

12. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, the site website that I own has been in business for over 10 years...and was one of the first adult sites around of its caliber - it's been a multi-million dollar generating site over its lifetime. So yeah, I'd pay $349 to gain access to some of the content that is transmitted over my phone. And trust me, they aren't just everyday pics, lol! Anyone that knows me knows this fact, I just didn't think anyone would take advantage of it. It's not the fact that I'm paranoid - I know it has happened. I was just looking for 100% proof that what I thought happened actually could, and now looks like it did. I'm not a paranoid person, and I don't care what he sees - but it's considered wiretapping, which obviously is a crime.

But for sure, I will be restoring and rejailbreaking ASAP, lol!

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well in that case let us know what site so we can go check it out :D

14. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL...I'd rather not post that in here - I've been banned from forums for posting it before, lol. But it started October 11th, 1999 :)

Hey, I purchased my iPhone jailbroken, so I don't even know where to start. What is a good jailbreaking guide for a total beginner? I'm not an idiot and can follow instructions, but just would like a clear-cut guide to step me through.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

17. twon macrumors member

Use the built in search function on the phone to look for "FlexiSpy". If it is on your phone it should show up in the search.

18. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

FlexiSpy is "100% Undetectable," so I doubt it'll show. It's times like these I'm glad I keep an attorney on retainer, lol. And, I'm best friends with a former president of the Sheriff's Association of America. The person that chose to violate my personal life just really screwed up, haha!

19. twon macrumors member

Nothing is "100% undetectable". It's just a matter of how hard you have to look. It has to have files on your phone to work.

Why anyone in their right mind would pay that much money for that app is beyond me. There are a few apps that will do that for $12.

20. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL...been waiting on someone who knows about this all night. Funny enough, the guy that did this has your same name, except spelled different. Talk about a bizzare night, haha! Wow, talk about irony! Well whether the guy spent $12 or $400, it was done, without doubt. There were pictures on the phone that were never texted, but yet still showed up online. Just an interesting night all around :)

21. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Well, I restored, unlocked, and jailbroke just now. And just to the dipsh*t that unlocked it, (who works for the local apple store in fact and teaches math as an intern) I have contacted every forum as well as my local apple store in which he was or is employed and the corporate office. Hope it was worth it for him. He has much more to lose than I ever will, he has a real job and I'm up at 5 am laughing at his ass. I joined every forum and am informing every person could be in this situation or has been that this is a very violating and very realistic occurance. It's sad and very creepy and scary that something like this could occur.

Thanks to the uhhhhh, one person (applejuiced) that helped me out regarding this topic. And uh... TWON!

Later skaters.

22. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Don't take a hammer to the phone.

Restore it and take a hammer to his head.

Man up.

/thread.

23. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, I have already informed a friend in law enforcement about wiretap issues...the person that did this is gonna be sweating it for a while! Everything is erased, restored and jailbroken, again...and actually running smoother than ever. When this guy gets handed a suboena, he's gonna lose it, haha. Funny how things eventually work out!

Word to the wise...when you offer to "update" my phone, then pics that were never shared with ANYONE end up posted online, I know who you are.

24. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

You've gotta do what you've gotta do.

At the end of the day as long as no one is trying to masquerade screwing me over as a favor I can sleep easy.

I hope he gets what he deserves, whatever the path you choose to pursue it.

25. BetaGuy1998 thread starter macrumors newbie

He'll get what he deserves alright, without question. The phone is back in awesome condition, and that dude works for a Mac Store & has interned as a school teacher. I have time, money and a kickass lawyer...so he's in for a sh*t storm, lol! I love your train of thought bro!