Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
What a horrible idea. What if you're out of WiFi / cell range? What if the game or its resources are no longer available (dev goes out of business, doesn't pay their yearly subscription, etc)? What if the App Store is down, or Apple discontinues or changes this feature and the developer doesn't update their app: then you're just stuck?

I have a better idea: why don't Phil and Apple stop skimping on device space instead? Why should I have to be constantly downloading things (or parts of things) that I purchased instead of storing them locally if I want?
No smart developer is going to use this anyway. Adding an unnecessary dependency on the internet is a basic programming no-no. There is no justifiable scenario for this, even the ones Apple mentioned. Game levels? As you pointed out, that would make the game unplayable if you're out of range of cell service and happen to beat the loaded levels. Game tutorials? Not as important, but is certainly going to be detrimental to your less-experienced users to not have if they lack internet access.

I think it's safe to say that you can judge the quality of the developer by whether or not they use this. The good ones will most certainly not.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
This is wonderful news!

What a great game Final Fantasy VII was on the original Playstation. Such cool music and a superb story.

Playing it on a 13" iPad would be a joy. This is the game we've all been waiting for.

My Playstation version came on four discs, not three.

Are you sure you aren't confusing VII for VIII? I have both original Playstation releases, FFVII came on 3 discs, FFVIII came on 4 discs (or maybe you had some special version?).

Regardless, this is of course very good news.

I'm probably mis-remembering it. Must get it out and see. I have VIII, so perhaps I'm thinking of that.

I have the same memory (4 discs in UK)

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I wonder if they are just reusing PS Vita assets and tweaking the code for Apples architecture. I don't have my Vita in front of me but I seem to recall seeing that the game is like 1.3 GB on the Vita.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Thanks for your reply. I will definitely check out the FF VII remake as soon as it is available. As far as what is currently available on PS4, would you recommend Final Fantasy Type-0, or the X/X-2 HD Remaster? Being someone who hasn't played before, I'm not sure where to start.

I haven't played those, I'm afraid.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Yet Apple slapped everybody in the face with a base 16gb model for one final year.

Never understood this logic - if the 16Gb isn't suitable for you then don't buy it. You haven't been 'slapped in the face'. The 16Gb model is for people who don't want loads of films, games or apps on their phone.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Never understood this logic - if the 16Gb isn't suitable for you then don't buy it. You haven't been 'slapped in the face'. The 16Gb model is for people who don't want loads of films, games or apps on their phone.
So why not make 8GB the base and drop the price by an additional $100?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's a wonderful game! Played it on my PSP back in 2007. I don't think I'd get it for a phone though, though the game is ugly I still wouldn't want my fingers covering the screen and would like stereo sound without headphones.

invalidname

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm really gun-shy about buying anything from Square Enix for iOS, after The World Ends With You broke under iOS 8 and was left unfixed.

As a developer, I'm pleased that they charge sustainable prices for their games — none of this race-to-the-bottom free-to-play mindset that has ruined iOS gaming — but to charge $15-20 and then not keep the game working after a system update is inexcusable. And with FF7 taking 70+ hours to finish, some casual players will need years to finish it, which likely means going through at least one OS update.

invalidname

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
Square Enix has made the first six Final Fantasy games available on iOS devices, but Final Fantasy VII for iOS will mark the first Final Fantasy port coming from a PlayStation game.
Correction, this will be the second PlayStation-originated game from Square Enix. Back in 2011, they released Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions for iPhone and later as a separate iPad release, though technically this is a port of the PSP port of the PS1 game.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm really gun-shy about buying anything from Square Enix for iOS, after The World Ends With You broke under iOS 8 and was left unfixed.

As a developer, I'm pleased that they charge sustainable prices for their games — none of this race-to-the-bottom free-to-play mindset that has ruined iOS gaming — but to charge $15-20 and then not keep the game working after a system update is inexcusable. And with FF7 taking 70+ hours to finish, some casual players will need years to finish it, which likely means going through at least one OS update.
I often wonder if Apple would get such a pass when/if they entered the home console space. Updating the console and breaking games seems like a huge problem. Especially since developers would have to divert resources from new "AAA" games to fix the old ones potentially years after the old one was released.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
This is called "Slicing" (one aspect of App Thinning), but iOS 9 also includes another aspect of App Thinning called "On-Demand Resources" which allows for loading assets from the app store on demand. So as the user progresses through the game, more assets are downloaded and unused assets are removed.

Oh gaaaaaaawd!!!! How annoying that would be!!!!!! We don't get unlimited data plans here in Australia and I often use apps on a plane.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Yes, finally a 150h+ game for a 3h battery life device! :p

Seriously, this game requires a clear schedule for the next 5-6h every time you turn it on, otherwise you just end up stuck in some endless conversation or an hour long boss fight :)

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
No smart developer is going to use this anyway. Adding an unnecessary dependency on the internet is a basic programming no-no. There is no justifiable scenario for this, even the ones Apple mentioned. Game levels? As you pointed out, that would make the game unplayable if you're out of range of cell service and happen to beat the loaded levels. Game tutorials? Not as important, but is certainly going to be detrimental to your less-experienced users to not have if they lack internet access.

I think it's safe to say that you can judge the quality of the developer by whether or not they use this. The good ones will most certainly not.

Tutorials is a perfect example, but the other way around - delete them after use. Assuming for some reason your tutorials take up a lot of space then you clear up some space for the user.

Anyway, I completely disagree with you, there's no reason (other than whether it's worth the effort (which may be considerable)) not to include this as an option, you could certainly give the user a "download all now" button if they want to.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Yes same here. That one was my favorite between VII, VIII, and IX.

Those three (followed by VI and XII) are my favourites, but I struggle to decide whether I prefer VIII or VII. In my heart the softest splot is for VIII, but I played that first you see, so I wonder if it's sentiment rather than real preference, but then I also wonder if I'm actually doing a sort of reverse favouritism and I do really prefer it. I don't know.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I really would like to get into the FF series, but don't really know where to start. Is it the type of game where each release builds upon the previous one story wise?

No. Final Fantasy VII is an ideal place to start. It was leaps and bounds beyond what came before. There are references to earlier games, of course, but nothing that matters to the gameplay or story. Each of the Final Fantasy games is a self-contained story, anyway.

Final Fantasy VIII was good, though not nearly as good as VII. FF IX was excellent.

Thanks guys, I was about to ask the same question.

Eweie

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
There is no reason to upscale low resolution textures. That's what filtering is for, or scanlines. we've been playing this game on emulators for decades and IT LOOKED JUST FINE. there is no need for this game to be over 3gb. /facepalm

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
There is no reason to upscale low resolution textures. That's what filtering is for, or scanlines. we've been playing this game on emulators for decades and IT LOOKED JUST FINE. there is no need for this game to be over 3gb. /facepalm

Sorry, but even I can't agree with that. Graphically FFVII looked crap when it was new, and it looks worse now.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
I'd stick with a device that won't change like a Vita when it comes to ports of FF games. S-E tends to treat iOS like one device and don't really seem to "get" that when you sell a mobile game you'll need to keep updating it for newer OSes and screen resolutions for as long as possible. So if you look at FF1 and FF2 for example they were made for the iPhone 4 and have stayed that way (though FF1 has at least been patched a bit)

I have more faith in Record Keeper as it uses the "in-app purchases to buy you huge time-saving things" business model which, as much as people get annoyed by it, is the more practical option when a game needs to be supported/updated (and thus funded) for life.

Hyped for the PS4 remake :D (However it's a game that really benefits from being "oldschool" FF - random turn-based battles, overworld, steerable airship, quirky humour, silly character designs, mini puzzles, etc etc. If they take all that out of it, revamp the materia system and basically sort of rewrite it as FFXIII with Cloud and co like I fear they might, it'll lose so much of what made it great)

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
Sweet! Now I wonder if they will remake the soundtrack or port that too.
I am very excited about this.
I was happy that Lunar The Silver Star Story was imported to iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.