Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
As for SquareTrade...not surprised.

Glass was invented for windows - it is too fragile for utility objects.
The guy who thinks it is must be insane (or a commercial genius)
SquareTrade only reflects what most 3 year old kids experience.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
What is wrong with these people? So many videos they are showing new iPhone X (along with iPhone 8(poor chap getting added unnecessarily for no fault of it) which is worth $1500 throwing like mad on the concrete slabs and breaking it !! Guys mobiles are for making calls, listening to music, browsing, cheating etc..not for this mad experiment

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Here, a tester stabs the back of an iPhone X with a knife and then hits the front with a 3-pound hammer. Does the X survive?

This video is hilarious. I like how he continually smashes the phone after it breaks, almost as if he is angry at the iPhone for some reason or another. And he says "Guys" like 50 times in four minutes.

Reactions: roncron

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
This video is hilarious. I like how he continually smashes the phone after it breaks, almost as if he is angry at the iPhone for some reason or another. And he says "Guys" like 50 times in four minutes.
As I said: most 3 year old kids have experiences with breaking glass.
Not all handle it well. Neurological disorder may occur.
It is called gorilla post-shatter trauma

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
make that tied with the 4/4S, always saw those things with cracked screens and backs!

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
These idiots can say why they want. This phone is the sexiest phone that I have ever held in my hand.

If I drop it and it smashes then I know that my Apple Care policy will sort my replacement.

Oh they will. You just paid $199 for the privilege of paying $228 instead of $279.

For $427 you get a new screen. Yay. You better hope something else breaks on that phone to make your insurance worth it...

We are in crazy town people. These prices are ridiculous.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Oh they will. You just paid $199 for the privilege of paying $228 instead of $279.

For $427 you get a new screen. Yay. You better hope something else breaks on that phone to make your insurance worth it...

We are in crazy town people. These prices are ridiculous.

$228 includes the initial $199. Screen is a $29 deductible.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
It's because the critics couldn't find anything else to hype this phone. With the iPhone 6 there was bendgate, and with iPhone 4 there was antennagate. Had to come up with a fatal flaw to generate some headlines.

DaffyDano

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017

Apple says the iPhone X has the most durable glass ever used in a smartphone, with a strengthening layer that is 50 percent deeper, but a series of drop tests show that glass and concrete still don't play well together.

iphone-x-squaretrade.jpg

SquareTrade, a company that provides extended warranties for electronic devices, conducted several breakability tests on the iPhone X, and found that its glass back and lack of a home button make it "the most breakable iPhone ever."

Not only did the iPhone X's glass shatter when dropped on its front and back from a height of six feet, but the display also malfunctioned. Keep in mind that pocket height for most people is about three feet.

SquareTrade is naturally using the opportunity to push its two-year smartphone protection plan, which was recently reduced to $129 plus a $99 deductible for most claims, in the United States.

The plan covers cracked screens, liquid damage, battery failure, Lightning connector failure, and speaker failure. It doesn't cover loss or theft.

SquareTrade customers now have an in-home repair option with a lower $25 deductible to fix cracked screens. The service is currently available in more than 700 cities across the United States, with new cities added monthly.

A few YouTube channels also tested the iPhone X in extreme conditions to determine how durable and water resistant the device is.

EverythingApplePro placed the iPhone X in a 20-foot tube of water for 35 minutes without any signs of liquid damage occurring. He also put the iPhone X into a running washing machine, and the device still remained functional.

JerryRigEverything scratched the iPhone X with a utility knife, including the cameras, stainless steel frame, and rear Apple logo. He also tried to bend the device, without much success, and burn the display with a lighter.

While breakability tests are generally unscientific, the videos reveal that even the most durable glass in a smartphone isn't shatterproof.

Apple recently confirmed it will charge out-of-warranty rates of $279 for iPhone X screen repairs, and $549 for any other damage to the device, unless it is a manufacturing defect covered by Apple's standard one-year limited warranty.

There's also AppleCare+, an optional, premium warranty plan that extends an iPhone's warranty coverage to two years from the original purchase date of the device, and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage.

With AppleCare+ for iPhone X, the price of a repair would be the $199 upfront cost of the plan plus a $29 or $99 incidental fee.

applecare-iphone-x.jpg

If you shatter your iPhone X's screen once, for example, you would pay $279 out of warranty. With the upfront cost of AppleCare+ coupled with the screen repair incidental fee, you would pay $228.

If you shatter your iPhone X's back glass, having AppleCare+ is even more worthwhile. Apple's flat rate is $549 for this type of damage, while the upfront cost of AppleCare+ coupled with a $99 incidental fee totals $298.

All prices above are listed in U.S. dollars. AppleCare+ and Apple's out-of-warranty repair fees vary in other countries.

SquareTrade conducted breakability tests for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus a few months ago with similar results. Both of the glass-bodied models shattered on all sides in every single drop test, including front and back drops at a distance of six feet, a 22-foot shot drop test, and a tumble test.

Article Link: SquareTrade Says iPhone X is 'Most Breakable iPhone Ever' as Glass Shatters in Series of Drop Tests
[doublepost=1509991555][/doublepost]We really need to be conversing about how Trump was obviously dropped on his head (from a considerable height) & the resulting damage it caused. Now that's a story worth bickering about.

noxw

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2015
I will buy the X(s) once it has a metal body. Glass on the back is really stupid to start with in my opinion and paying more for the back than the entire front display is behind any reason for me. I hope they will release a metal version next year.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Good thing he didn't penetrate the battery with a knife. I've never seen it myself, but I have seen movies. Here's one of them (start at about 1 minute in):

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Interesting. If the iPhone X is truly "the most breakable iPhone ever", then I would expect SquareTrade to have a higher cost for their protection plans than for phones that aren't the most breakable. I would be interested to learn how the iPhone 4 handled their tests.

I'm not denying that their claim is true, it might be, but I'd like to see some supporting data to back it up.

Reactions: 840quadra

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
That is why I don’t understand why there is so much emotion over this headline, and statement. Clearly people buying phones that have Glass surfaces will use some care with them. I know of many people that run Note 8, iPhone 8 devices with no case, and have zero problems. Just use care.

I've owned every iPhone since the original in 2007 and never had a case on any of them. Never had issue. Just treat it like the expensive piece of technology it is. I suppose if you want to treat your stuff like trash then you might want to invest in a warranty or a case. The act of putting a case on your phone leads you to treat it with less respect because "Meh, it's got a case to protect it." Seems silly.
[doublepost=1509993395][/doublepost]
Yeah because Apple doesn't recommend Applecare with every item sold, which based on their obscene repair prices is pretty much mandatory.

What other phone maker offers a comparable priced and hardware device and charges significantly less for repairs?

This isn't just Apple. It's the fact that high-end portable electronics actually cost a good deal to repair.

Reactions: 840quadra

faded_glory

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2016
Release of any new product now sees the web flooded with people filming themselves taking the product out of its box and waving it around like it was some sort of achievement and a subset of idiots breaking said product in ways that the product is obviously not designed to withstand and who then sneer at the product as though it was defective in some way.

Reactions: ImBuz

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Because Apple said "hardest, most durable glass ever" and it turns out to be worth zero because it breaks alot easier than any iphone before it?

So says the people trying to sell you phone insurance.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
I will buy the X(s) once it has a metal body. Glass on the back is really stupid to start with in my opinion and paying more for the back than the entire front display is behind any reason for me. I hope they will release a metal version next year.

I think you'll be waiting a long time. Apple seems to have a goal of someday making an iPhone that is a single slab of glass.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Apple is really the one that started this crap and this is what we have. $549 to replace the back of a phone, that should have never been made of glass to begin with. Unfortunately the other OEMs have followed Apple of course and so this is what we have. Can't do anything about the screen, but a glass back is just stupid. There are other materials that would work with wireless charging that don't break so easily.

I'm concerned that SquareTrade and others are going to all jack up their plan and and copay prices solely because of how poorly the X is designed in this area.
And all this time I thought Samsung had the first glass backed phones ;)
[doublepost=1509999540][/doublepost]
Is it an overpriced toy with little marginal utility designed primarily to serve ads and squeeze repair/replacement dollars?

Nah, that's just cynical, right?
Cynical isn’t what I would call it...

decder

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2017
The durability of Face ID is a bit of a worry. What I'm seeing in many of these videos, Face ID can break even before there is external damage to the phone.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
This article is a biased hit piece, nobody drops their phone from 6 feet — not even Shaq! For the average user, a six foot drop means holding your phone ABOVE YOUR HEAD and dropping it! WTF!!!

uh, have you ever seen someone taking a selfie? people don't like unflattering photos of their nostrils and double-chins, just saying.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
When the iPhone 4 came out, I gave it a miss. I couldn't understand why Apple put glass on the back as well as the front of the phone - it was just asking for trouble.

I had a smug year as I saw iPhone 4 after iPhone 4 with shattered glass.

Then the 4S came out. Apple didn't learn. Customers didn't learn. But I learnt. I got the Galaxy S3 instead.

Several years later, here we are again.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
And all this time I thought Samsung had the first glass backed phones ;)

Not sure if you were joking, but the first, I believe by several years, was the iPhone 4. But at least with that one replacing the back was pretty inexpensive. The first Galaxy I had was an S5, and I hated most things about it, but the fact that it didn't need a case and could be dropped without any damage was great. High quality plastic is what phone bodies should be made from... not glass.

Reactions: rGiskard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.