'Squeaky' screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 6825924, Jan 4, 2013.

1. 6825924, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

6825924 Suspended

2. ItsNeil4Real macrumors newbie

I don't know if they'll replace the phone because of the squeaky screen but it doesn't hurt to try. About you sanding off the edges, that shouldn't matter as it doesn't effect the performance of the phone at all. If they try to say anything just say that there is nothing in the warranty that says you won't cover it due to a cosmetic defect.

3. 6825924, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

6825924 thread starter Suspended

Thank you, I''l give it a try.
    It probably, like you said, won't work, I guess I just have to wait until I have a real defect.

4. ItsNeil4Real macrumors newbie

If it bothers you a lot just say the call quality is bad at times. That is an on going problem a lot of people are experiencing. If they try to reproduce it, just say its random when it happens. I'm sure you'll end up getting the bad call quality eventually anyways. Try calling a call center or something or a friend who is in a noisy area. Best of luck!

5. 6825924 thread starter Suspended

Well and that's actually not even a lie, I don't like the call quality but I just don't call that often and I forgot, thanks!
    Any idea how I could explain this the best way?
    Your input is already really helpful, another thanks!

6. ItsNeil4Real macrumors newbie

Go to iphone5callquality.com I think he gives you a number you can call (it's to a call center) that always has static or some way to reproduce it easily. Just say that you've had your phone a short while and the call quality is just really bad on it. The persons voice cuts in and out on it and they are really hard to hear. Just make sure that you tell them that it's only sometimes so if they try and reproduce the issues and fail you can keep pushing that its not consistent

7. 6825924 thread starter Suspended

Sorry for asking another favor, but English is not my native language and I'd like someone to check my grammar and if this isn't to offensive.
    I'm going to send this along with bringing the iPhone in.

'Dear
    This machine with serial number C38JK7W8DTWG was purchased on 05/11/2012 and still has warranty for 22 months.
    The device does not work properly though.
    The call quality is bad, but it is not consistent, the person I talk with can hear me fine, but to me the person gets cut out a lot and hard to understand. As I stated above, there's no consistent, sometimes it works fine, other times it does not.
    The WIFI-connection gets cut off too sometimes, even when I'm standing near the router and the reception is very good.
    There are other machines connected to this very same WIFI network and they do not have any trouble.
    At last I want to mention about the screen, it gets squeaky sometimes in certain positions. This is to me the first signals of the screen loosening, because other iPhones don't squeak. This is not the reason though for bringing it in.
    The changes of the appearance of the phone do not change anything for my warranty because they do not change the functionality/performance of the device. All defects have no relation with these outside changes.
    These changes were even made because the iPhone came with scratches straight out of the box.

Sincerely'

Thanks

8. ItsNeil4Real macrumors newbie

Make there's no consistent to: there's no consistency. And then for the and last, say: lastly, I am having problems with my screen. And the this is to me, change that to: this seems to be.

Also, don't mention the cosmetic problems unless they say something. Don't bring attention to something that could cause problems with the return. And good job bringing up the fact that it came scratched up.

Who are you sending that to? Just go online and make a Genius Bar appointment. If your English isn't good then just bring that in and give it to the person helping you and explain your English isn't that good and a friend helped you with the grammar.

9. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

I'm more concerned you spent 800 bucks on a phone.......

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Just a heads up - but don't be surprised if your warranty is voided for sanding it down. It's a modification - and, whether cosmetic or otherwise, modifications void your warranty.

I hope they don't - but when you were sanding it, it would have been exposed to high levels of dust which could have got into the speakers/buttons etc.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

then took sandpaper to it

12. 6825924 thread starter Suspended

Thats because I live in Belgium and here's the best option to buy it unlocked, I bought it for around 800 euros thats about 900 dollars...

----------

I know I fcked up:)

----------

But none of the defects are related to buttons or speakers in any way? + I found another defect today, the gyroscope randomly stops working, sometimes when I turn my screen when it's not locked it doesn't turn. I've only experienced this in the messages app though...
    Thanks for your help

----------

To me it seems to be the same if you bring in your iPhone with scratched? I can say this was caused by excessive use? lol
    No I bought a Carbon fiber skin from Bodyguardz that covers the most part, they will see it though.

And if they void my warranty then I will certainly have learned my lesson.

13. bova80 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's the same as bringing in a phone with scratches at all. How do they know that in the process of sanding you didn't break something else? I'd say you are up crap creek without a paddle.

14. 6825924 thread starter Suspended

Thank oy for your honesty, you're most certainly right, I can only hope...
    So you think I should immediately bring up the sanding subject in the store? Because is mostly hidden and they won't find out until they pull the skin off...

15. ItsNeil4Real macrumors newbie

No don't. That is not a modification google: phil schiller scuffgate. Phil Schiller himself said that that is what it does. Print that out and bring it. He said: Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal. The article is titled: apple responds to iPhone scuffs. You don't have to say anything about sanding it. If they say why is it like this say you used it a lot. And if they say it voids your warranty then pull out the printed article of him saying that is what it does. These guys are just giving you a hard time.

I just did more googling and there are a lot of people who "polish" there iPhones and it does not void their warranty which also involves sand paper.

16. 6825924 thread starter Suspended

Oh god, I love you for doing this! This made my day. I'm bringing in my phone the day after tomorrow. Thank you for doing this seriously! God bless you

17. ItsNeil4Real macrumors newbie

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else. Best of luck and let me know how it goes.

18. 6825924 thread starter Suspended

As the others expected, I received a mail today that told me 'The producer's warranty does not cover your device."
    In this mail isn't mentioned why so it could be because they didn't find the problem or because of my stupidity and sanding the phone

19. ItsNeil4Real macrumors newbie

What do you mean a mail? You didn't go to an apple store?

20. 6825924 thread starter Suspended

When I bought the phone I got it from a reseller named Mobistar, because the waiting list in the apple stores (in Belgium) were longer.
    It seems like this reseller has its own warranty rules and I even have to pay if I want my phone back (50$)
    I even achieved to film one of the problems (gyroscope dysfunction) but I forgot to show them in this resellers store, but I will show them when I go sign the papers to get my phone back.
    I am sure they don't have to pay apple, guess they just want to get money out of the costumer...

21. ItsNeil4Real macrumors newbie

Ah I didn't know that. This was all for apple. Are they a certified apple reseller? If they are apple will still honor the warranty.

22. 6825924 thread starter Suspended

I know this reseller supplies the whole country, even premium resellers, it's specifically told in my mail they can't grant my warranty...
    I'll just have to live with it I guess

23. ItsNeil4Real macrumors newbie

24. 6825924 thread starter Suspended

Thank you so much for your concern, I will do that but I first have to translate this document. Thanks in advance