Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Hi all
I rock a black iPhone 5 32GB

lindsay-facepalm.gif

ItsNeil4Real

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
It doesn't say anything about you having to pay to get your phone back. Ask them where in the contract it says that. Also, it doesn't cover damage caused by modding. All you have to do is replicate the problem you're getting. It has nothing to do with the sides. And print out the thing saying how the sides flake off really easily due to 'scuff gate.' Just point to the contract where it says the phone has to perform how the manufacture intended and it is not doing so. And in my contract it states that you must replace it or fix it. You're going to have to seriously argue with someone it seems. But it's worth it since they're screwing you over. If they ask about the sides just say your case at home did it. They can't call you a liar. Just show them the statement I told you to get where he said it will peel

----------

Just make it clear you're not trying to get a new phone because of the cosmetic. Your phone isn't performing properly otherwise.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Ok awesome.
So I went to talk with the reseller and we called Apple together.
So Apple took another look at my phone but this is what they answered:

"This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product."

So one of these sentences means I have no warranty anymore, I guess the scuffgate trick doesn't work no more...

ItsNeil4Real

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
I guess they just can't find the real problem then when they look at your phone and they just think you're trying to get a new one due to the sides. I don't think your warranty is voided I just think they can't find your problem.

ItsNeil4Real

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
If the squeaky screen is the only problem you're having, and I guess it is just hard to duplicate, then just let it go. If your phone ever has other issuess (broken home button, battery sucks, etc.) then go and try and get it replaced/fixed. If they are still giving you issues LET ME KNOW! They HAVE to repair it. The only reason it seems that they are not doing it now is because of they can't find the problem you're describing and are just assuming its the sides that you have a problem with. If you have an easy to replicate problem and they don't replace due to the sides being like that, then they have problems. If they classify that as being a cosmetic defect or a modification then all of their black iPhones will have voided warranties. Just like what I told you earlier where Apple said themselves that it will eventually strip and reveal the silver. I promise you that I will ensure your iPhone is fixed or replaced if your problem is really that bad and easily replicated or if you have another one. No matter what I have to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.