Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigftw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Crystal Palace, London, England
http://www.squireapp.com

I stumbled across this app whilst searching twitter for tvOS apps in development. After a number of days sitting in approval it's now available for the Apple TV.

Right now you still need a Mac client to run it (however they are looking into making a future update to be Mac-less) but the core idea is that you subscribe to torrent tracker 'streams' via http://squirestreams.com and stream your content rather than the long process of downloading torrent, putting into folder, syncing with a DLNA etc.

Much more instant and smooth as butter! On last count there were 2496 films and 1080 TV Shows available :eek:

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
I've just installed it, and the number of movies and shows available is staggering, it runs very smooth indeed. And I wonder how legal this all is. But I'll enjoy it for as long as it lasts!

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
I installed the helper as well as the app on my mac mini. I was able to point my local movies and TV shows to squire and install a couple of streams, but am only able to see my local content.
Do I need to do anything special to see the streams?

Thanks.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Just installed this on my MBP and it works great. I see that the ATV app is $3.99. I was able to Airplay it from my MBP to the ATV, is there any advantage to the ATV app?

Bradley Easton

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2015
Downloaded the Mac app it loads onto the black screen with TV Shows and Movies, but then it just freezes my Mac?

EDIT: Feel so stupid, I just had to press esc

Last edited:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I am a bit surprised this got approved. Anyway, I wonder if the native support without the mac helper will get approved. Would be nice if the developer could respond with some in site.

Those in the know. Are these Streaming options similar to what is used by the KODI "1Channel" like Add On's? I know of people using KODI Add On's for this very thing on Amazon Fire TV (and Stick) and other devices.

Just wondering if 1Channel Add On (example) is simply pulling for the same sources or something different.

EDIT: Also, is this similar to the Add On's for PLEX. I.E. If you can add these kinds of Add On's to the PLEX Server and use the PLEX Client on the Apple TV, then what is the difference? Is it maybe the fact that you can do a lot of different things on PLEX (and on this App) that it gets approved. And maybe that is why other native apps would not. Like maybe KODI / MrMC on Apple TV. Also, could be that KODI and MrMC Add On's use Python which is not available on Apple TV?

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
This app is great--not sure how it's legal in the app store. I may be dense but I can't figure out how to search for a movie and select it to start playing. EX., search for Wolf of Wall Street and the movie art comes up fairly quickly but I can't figure out how to select or move the cursor via apple tv remote to select it.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Interesting app. It works perfectly on my Mac (with the Helper installed), and I can see the content on my AppleTV, but when I try to play anything I get an error on the AppleTV. Anyone else?

Bradley Easton

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2015
Interesting app. It works perfectly on my Mac (with the Helper installed), and I can see the content on my AppleTV, but when I try to play anything I get an error on the AppleTV. Anyone else?
Mac sure your helper is up to date. I was getting an error at first but once updated it worked fine.

OT: Nice little app, would be a lot better if it didn't need a Mac to work.

chunker

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
Mac sure your helper is up to date. I was getting an error at first but once updated it worked fine.

OT: Nice little app, would be a lot better if it didn't need a Mac to work.
The devs are working to make it work natively.

Very nice guys open to feedback and suggestions.

Reactions: matrix07

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Anybody else having problems with the movie streams showing a split screen? The TV streams are fine though.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
anyone routing Squire traffic over a VPN? This thread has made me curious to try it but don't want to get a nasty letter...

DesertDog

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
Speaking of VPN, has any one check the way traffic flows with Squire when using a stream? I'm wondering since it's using a Mac server app if the traffic goes internet->mac->ATV or integer->ATV. Makes a difference if you have a VPN running on the Mac but not the router.

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
So, I can't get the movie stream (YTS.re) to work anymore? All of a sudden it shows "0 movies". Anybody else having this issue? Happens on both iMac and Macbook. The Macbook still shows the "shows", but the iMac doesn't show movies or shows.

Edit: never mind, I found another site offering the streams, and although it's not the same amount of movies/shows, it is at least working again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.